Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Why does it cost twice as much to take twice as long with global shipping?

Message 1961 of 3,104
latest reply

"Why does it cost twice as much to take twice as long with global shipping?"

Because there are two legs on the journey -1) seller to Kentucky & 2) Kentucky to buyer

Because there is an intermediary (Pitney Bowes) who takes a cut.

Because the most economical method of shipping might not be used.

Because you will be paying duty on any item > $20 Cdn, even though it is rarely collected by CBSA unless item value is $75+.

I miss anything?

Message 1962 of 3,104
latest reply

"I miss anything?"

For the sake of clarity and precision:

"Because you will be paying duty on any item > $20 Cdn, even though it is rarely collected by CBSA "

It would be preferable to state: 

"Because you will be paying Canadian consumption taxes (GST/HST/PST) and a service fee of $4/$5 on any item > $20 Cdn, even though it is rarely collected by CBSA.... " 

As you know, the "import charge" seen on the eBay page includes sales taxes (GST/HST/PST) on taxable items. a service charge to Pitney Bowes of $4/$5 per shipment and duty (only if applicable which is seldom the case is the seller properly identified the goods as American made)

Message 1963 of 3,104
latest reply

Yeah... I'm kinda lazy.  That's more keystrokes.

Message 1964 of 3,104
latest reply

"You MAY not have additional import charges at delivery" - it clearly states NO additional import charges". 

The magic words are AT DELIVERY.

GSP costs are paid before the seller even ships to Kentucky for forwarding to Canada.

AT DELIVERY you don't pay anything more, because it has already been paid.

If you are being charged more on your doorstep, there is a problem. And usually it has been that the seller shipped directly to you and CBSA/CanadaPost is charging you again the amount you already paid to the GSP for import fees.

Message 1965 of 3,104
latest reply

This seems like a scam started by ebay and pitney-bowes. I am being asked to pay a customs duty for an article on which I know there is no duty, so I will not be using any ebayer who is using this gsp. In effect, I will be using ebay for purchases much less now. Too bad. 

Message 1966 of 3,104
latest reply

which I know there is no duty,

Unhappily, that which you 'know' is almost certainly wrong, or you are using the word 'duty' to mean import sales tax, which applies to all items over Can$ 20 declared value.

Message 1967 of 3,104
latest reply

Hello. I just purchase an item from the US which the seller uses this GSP shipping method. I received an UPAAB tracking # . The pkg is at the ERLANGER, KY shipping hub.

I'm located in Montreal. Does the shipping usually fall into the estimated delivery dates given? Also, I'm guessing the pkg will be deliver with Canadapost?  Tks in advance.

Message 1968 of 3,104
latest reply

What's this then?

Message 1969 of 3,104
latest reply

Dear Pierre / yoda /  eBay confidant,

Are you REALLY the "name we can trust" in this GSP boondoggle?

Message 1970 of 3,104
latest reply

GSP = Global Shipping Program.

Used by American sellers where they ship domestically to a distribution centre in Kentucky.  The parcel is then resent to Canada or overseas.  Taxes (and duty is applicable) that would apply upon arrival are prepaid.

To learn more: http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

Most Canadian buyers do not use the program for most items.  It is too expensive for buyers.

Message 1971 of 3,104
latest reply

Based on the feedback you have left for your American sellers, it appears you are quite familiar with the program. 

Why ask the question then?

Message 1972 of 3,104
latest reply

I am not involved in that program nor do I recommend it.

As a Canadian I avoid listings by sellers using the program.

Message 1973 of 3,104
latest reply

I am Canadian and bought a cell phone from US seller that used GSP to send phone to me. I had to return it due to my error. Arranged return with seller no issue outside of GSP as GSP does not handle returns. Asked about getting them to ship replacement phone of same value and call it an exchange which it effectively is and they said they cannot do that under GSP and I would have to treat as a new and separate transaction and pay new duties etc.

I asked about a refund of first phone's duty and taxes etc. (not shipping as error was mine) and they said I would have to take up with GSP.

Have spent hours trying to figure out how to get refund and have given up. Anyone know how to do this?

On another note I DO NOT recommend GSP for Canadians. Tracking information is useless and items arrive while tracking info says "seller has created shipping label". It takes WAY longer to have items shipped from US and costs are way higher than USPS etc. That has been my experience with five GSP transactions. I will no longer use sellers that subscribe to GSP.

Message 1974 of 3,104
latest reply

"they said they cannot do that under GSP"

The seller is incorrect.  He could easily put the phone in the mail (USPS) and send it to you as replacement (no tax would be charged).

Unfortunately, since you have already returned the item directly to the seller, there is no way to recover the "import charges" paid at time of purchase.

Message 1975 of 3,104
latest reply

There would be no way to reclaim these charges anyway.  And a replacement sent by post would be liable (but not always charged) the same import tax, plus a collection fee from the post office.

Once a GSP deal goes off the rails, there are no procedures for correcting the problem. Unless the problem is non delivery or damage in transit.

Message 1976 of 3,104
latest reply

It is very hypocritical to pretend to apologize in the name of a company that has no qualms screwing customers with a program that hides the true cost of an item until they have actually reached checkout after they have actually committed to buy an item, or after getting a nasty extra surprise fee at the time of delivery. If you truly mean to apologize, stop screwing buyers. In some countries, such deceptive 'business practices' are actually considered fraudulent.

At least be gracious enough to let users opt out of it by enabling a search result filter that will allow buyers to filter out auctions that use this program, like there are options for free shipping or items located in a specific country.
Message 1977 of 3,104
latest reply

This is a terrible program.  Is there a way the seller can opt out of it? I am Canadian and placed a $30 bid and the shipping/import charges are around $50 with this stupid program.   IF I win the item can the seller send me a normal invoice? I might ask to ship to my sister in California to avoid this nonsense.  There won't be a next time after this.

Message 1978 of 3,104
latest reply

Can American sellers opt out?  Yes

Can they send you a regular invoice after you placed a bid? NO

If you bid on a listing showing GSP, that cannot be changed after the fact.

If you are interested in an item, contact the seller and ask to revise the listing BEFORE placing your bid or clicking on Buy-it-Now.

As stated many times before, this program is not Canadian buyer friendly and should be avoided in most instances. The program was created for the exclusive benefits of American sellers with Canadian and other foreign buyers paying all the extra costs.

If you are not happy with the shipping charges and "import charge", do NOT bid.  If you have already bid and the auction is not yet over, cancel your bid (if it is not too late to do so) to avoid the charges.

Message 1979 of 3,104
latest reply

I was under the impression that when shopping on .CA, there is no access to "the cart".  Am I mistaken?

Sorry for the late answer, I haven't read this thread in a while. You do have access to the cart when you are on .ca.  That's true if the item is gsp or not. 

If an item was listed on .ca and you were shopping on .com, then you wouldn't have access to a cart.

Message 1980 of 3,104
latest reply