Received a Chinese knock-off from a US buyer via GSP

I bought a Dell computer hard drive caddy from a US seller. When I got it today it looks nothing like the stock photo he uses but it does look a lot like ones sold in China. I'd have no problem if it worked but my HDD doesn't even fit inside it. (Another original caddy I have works fine).

I emailed him but it says he is away until June 24th (that will be 30 days from the time of purchase). I paid $5.95US plus too much shipping via GSP using Ebay's checkout.

Is there anything I can do to at least get my $5.95US back?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Received a Chinese knock-off from a US buyer via GSP

I would start the process to return it even though he's away but at least eBay will be aware of your situation, file a "item not as described" today.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You have 30 days from delivery to open a Not as Described dispute with eBay.

The Resolution Centre is at the bottom of this page.

The first suggestion is to Contact the Seller.

You tried. If he is incommunicado, that is his choice and his problem.

Ask eBay to step in and escalate to a Claim

The seller will be instructed to send you Return Shipping. (I think within seven days.)

If he doesn't do that, you will be refunded.

If he does that, when the tracking on the returned item show delivery, you will be refunded.

You do have to keep an eye on the Claim to make sure it is going as planned. You may have to tell the eBay bots that the shipping didn't arrive, or that the tracking shows delivery.

Do NOT close the Claim until you have your money back.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @xenotime - you've been given great advice here, but to tack on I want to mention that you'll want to make sure you use a 'not as described' reason code based on what you've indicated here. 

It can sometimes be confusing, but do not use the 'wrong size or doesn't fit' option. While that's true, the reason it doesn't fit is because it is not as described (different from say, a pair of shoes you realized you ordered too small). 

If you need any help you can always contact our CS teams by phone or social media (Twitter or Facebook). They'll be happy to help out!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

OK, guys. Thanks! There isn't specifically a "item not as described" choice.

The choices (narrowed down are):

-Doesn't match description or photos
-Wrong item sent
-Doesn't seem authentic

Which do you think I should go with?
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@xenotime wrote:
OK, guys. Thanks! There isn't specifically a "item not as described" choice.

The choices (narrowed down are):

-Doesn't match description or photos
-Wrong item sent
-Doesn't seem authentic

Which do you think I should go with?

Hi @xenotime - I can't tell  you what to pick, but it sounds like from what you've stated earlier that the photos depicted an entirely different item. If that's correct, then I think the first reason is the one that best matches. 

If that's not the case, also based on what you've said, The third reason seems appropriate too! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

That shows how rarely I make a Dispute!

Doesn't match description or photos  does seem like the best and most accurate choice.

Tyler@eBay is an employee and is constrained by what advice he can give. We members can be more blunt.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply