Report Sellers Who Lie About Product Location

tyler@ebay 

Tyler, how do I report Sellers who Lie about location of goods? I can only open a case or contact seller from the typical pages.

The sellers do input a Canada Post tracking number BUT when you look at the tracking history when it becomes active (which can take up to a week) it clearly shows customs declaration etc and that the item went through Canada Customs meaning it came from in this case, China. This is becoming a scourge on eBay. If you want I can message you the details. It's not that I have an issue with the merchandise, but for them to lie about location.

I think eBay should do some test purchases from a sample of sellers based on location, price etc. Perhaps require item measurements to be input so that if price falls below a certain value and size is above a certain value it warms they may be violating policy and subject to test purchases.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Possibly may be a good idea for eBay to review buyers accounts that have been open forever but have had no activity in years. Before they risk being hijacked!!!

-Lotz

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You can report the seller through the listing itself.  There is a report button the listing.

I don’t see how it would be possible for them to use Canada Post from another country.  Is it possible for you to post a screen shot of the tracking but with the personal info blacked our?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Yeah I will post it when I'm back later.

Essentially they use a mail forwarding service that has a partnership with Canada Post so once the item arrives in Canada it recieved a Canada Post parcel label. (One item sold for like $6.00) and still got a tracking number here in Canada.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I agree that sellers should be honest about the location their items will be shipped from.

The basic problems are delivery time and import costs.

But if the time was stated in the original listing, and apparently will be met, and there are no border fees to be paid, why is it a problem that this item was manufactured overseas?

Dishonest and a good reason not to trust anything the seller says, but if he's meeting his marks, how is the buyer hurt?

Again. I agree that eBay should be enforcing, and showing that they are enforcing, their rules about this.

The madly xenophobic ranters on dotCOM are particularly incensed about this, even though they are happily buying Chinese made items from US sellers.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @retroman_studios - 

This is an interesting situation that I don't have an immediate answer for. A few general questions if you don't mind:

Was the delivery estimate accurate? If a seller is indicating their item is within Canada but then actually shipping from China I'd imagine there should be a pretty massive lag in delivery. I could also see this causing more issues for them than misrepresenting their item's location would be worth. 

Does the tracking indicate receipt of the item well before the item was shipped to you? I only ask because I'm wondering if this service records the import date, but then the merchandise is stored within Canada and shipped from there. In that scenario, there wouldn't necessarily be a violation.

Either way, @pjcdn2005 is correct that you can report the listing by using the 'Report this Item' link (Listing Practices>Other listing practices>Item location misrepresentation). If the item has arrived after its estimated delivery date you can also consider opening a return. Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

No, the tracking number doesn't "activate" until the mail forwarder finally issues a request to CPC for tracking, and you get the typical e-mail from CPC saying that a tracking number has been created and we will update you when we receive it. I ordered the one item on April 15, and the label was requested on the 17, and CPC recieved it April 22 from CBSA once it cleared customs. Estimated delivery Tue, Apr 30 - Tue, May 21. 

April 17, 2019
We received shipment details for your parcel Your shipment details have been received from L******* EBUSINESS INTERNATIONAL INC and a shipping label has been created. Your parcel will be shipped as soon as it’s available. Current status Electronic information submitted by shipper Tracking number 1023038200408720 Track this parcel Shipment details Service type Expedited Parcels Reference number SOSKY19041550543 Additional reference number SOSKY19041550543

Message 7 of 7
latest reply