Seller refuses to change email address to match paypals - cannot pay for item

I won an item and did an immediate payment.  I got an error when using a computer and google chrome and thought that i was a cookie or some other related issue.

I used the app on the phone and I was able to pay for the item - or so I thought.

I got the usual paypal and ebay "payment made" emails etc.

I checked my purchased items and noticed this hour glass where the $ should be and wondered what that was and sent the seller a ebay mail asking if she had received the payment, she had not. So i log into my paypal and discover a payment pending thing on that transaction.  Do a google search and find out the problem is likely to be the email address is not linked or registered with the seller. Call paypal and they confirm it.

I send her email back indicating this is likely to have happened and she confirmed what the correct address should be (which differs to what the pending payment is trying to go to.)  I tell her what address paypal thinks its trying to send to and now I hear nothing.  

I cannot "return the item" because ebay thinks no payment has been paid, I hear nothing from the seller and paypal has transferred the funds from my bank.

No clue what to do now.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I recently refunded a buyer while there were funds in my Paypal account.

Instead of sending the refund immediately, Paypal issued an "e-cheque"

It took a long time to clear and when I telephoned Paypal to find out why they didn't use the $ in my account, the answer was "they didn't know why" as they normally would have.

I never did find out why Paypal had yet another "gliche" in their system, but obviously they have several.

Right now I'm dealing with another "gliche" ~ when I print out a payment received, the shipping cost is not shown. Instead the work "true" is in place of it.

I telephoned Paypal again and they said it wasn't their problem as the transaction was from an ebay sale.

I telephoned Ebay and they had no idea what was going on and why Paypal would say it was their problem............

Go figure that one............

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Phone PayPal to confirm that is the problem. Another reason for a pending payment is when PayPal processes the payment as an echeque because the payment was made from a bank account.  If The problem is that the email address is wrong ask pp if it is possible for them to cancel the sale so that your money is refunded.  The seller would then have to cancel the sale through eBay to recover their fees and then relist the item with the correct information.

Information about cancelling payment.....

https://www.paypal.com/ca/selfhelp/article/can-i-cancel-a-payment-that-i've-already-sent-faq637

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Further to my complaint about PayPal:

I'm "from the old school" and I do a print out when a buyer pays.

For the past 2 weeks or more, the Shipping charge does NOT show up in $ on my print outs.

The word "true" shows up instead.

I telephoned PayPal and they had no knowledge of this, however, they said "since it was an ebay sale, then it Must be an ebay problem"

The problem continued so I telephoned Ebay ~ of course they had no knowledge of the problem either, but would "pass the message on" ???????????

Just for the record, the word "true" still shows up on my print outs instead of the Shipping charge.

Anyone else?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

My wife and I share a PayPal account, and the "true" shows up for the shipping amount on her last purchase as well, but as the grand total ("this payment") is given below that, it seems to be a straightforward matter for us to do the math and work out the shipping amount by subtracting the item price (under "purchase details") from the grand total.

We haven't used PayPal as a seller for some time, though, so things may show up a bit differently for you.  With luck, there's a temporary workaround you can use until the glitch gets recognized and fixed.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply