Seller refuses to give me a refund

machzy
Community Member

Both seller & I are from Canada.

I bought a Wii game from him. The description of the game was verbatim "Condition is Good. Manual has damage". No biggie, I don't care about the manual.

I got the game and the disc was scratched to **bleep**. I contacted the seller and said I wanted my money back. He said if the game still works then it doesn't matter if it's scratched. I said the game was not as described. He said it doesn't matter. I pushed and started the return process. He agreed at first, then he changed his mind. Then I get an email from eBay:

The seller can't send a return shipping label

I open the return details and see the following (attached)

I read somewhere that I can ask eBay to help, but I don't see that option anywhere in the return process screen. The only buttons I have available are:

- Contact seller

- Mark as shipped

- Close the return

What can I do?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Seller refuses to give me a refund

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @machzy - 

If the item arrived damaged you shouldn't typically be expected to post the item back yourself. Usually when we send an email with that type of wording we also let you know that the seller is still responsible for arranging return shipping (I've included an example screenshot below). 

In a situation where a seller can't provide the label but are still accountable for it, you can consider asking eBay to step into the return so we can help you get a resolution.

I encourage you to review the email you received - if there are different instructions please let us know so we can help further!

Return Email.png

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Yes, you're right. That's the same message I got. But where can I click on to ask eBay to step in?

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Since the seller approved the return, will there be a link to ask ebay to step in?  I’ve heard that there is no way for the buyer to do that because ebay assumes a label has been sent ...or has something changed?

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

You’re both in the same country so the seller should be able to purchase a label at CanadaPost.com, Shippo or PayPal, save it as a PDF and email it to you. Or they can send the money via PayPal so that you can purchase the label yourself.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

The seller can't send a return shipping label

If the seller told you that he's lying.

But if he refuses to send return postage, he loses the Dispute and is required to refund you.

So you win either way.  The Return Shipping just leaves your refund in his hands a little longer.

I bet the seller is not actually in Canada. In any case, he can send return postage to you using Paypal's Send Money Service from anywhere in the world.

What kind of shipping did he use to get the package to you?

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

tyler@ebay 

Since the seller approved the return, will there be a link to ask ebay to step in?  I’ve heard that there is no way for the buyer to do that because ebay assumes a label has been sent ...or has something changed?

Hi @pjcdn2005 - if a return is approved a buyer won't be able to ask eBay to step in for a certain amount of time (usually up to 5 business days), but can escalate to us after that. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

So do I have to do anything to win the dispute? In the return details it says:

Send the item back
Be sure to send it back by Oct 17. If you don't, we might close your return and there's a chance you won't get a refund. The seller's responsible for return shipping charges, so you can ask for a return shipping label.

So what happens by the 17th? Does eBay step in and give me my money back?

I think he used Canada Post regular mail.
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

What it says on the tin.

If you don't, we might close your return and there's a chance you won't get a refund.

You have until the 17th to get the item in the mail back to the seller.

You must use tracking to prove delivery.

If you can't prove at least shipping, and probably delivery, you will not be refunded.

However, you may want to call Customer Service on Monday to have them add the fact that you have not received a Return Shipping Label from the seller.

You can't have both the item and the money.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Fair enough, I don't want the item, but he hasn't provided a return shipping label, so will I be compensated for my shipping charges?

Do you have Customer Service's number?

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Trust and Safety is customer service.

Follow the breadcrumbs and eventually you will get a phone number a callback and a human being.

BTW, I just did this and the page was in French.  The Bloc Quebecois appears to be having fun with eBay these past few days. tyler@ebay 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

If the seller does not provide you with a label or money for a label, do not buy your own as eBay will have no way of making the seller compensate you.  According to tyler@ebay in another post, you should  have the option to ask ebay to step in 5 days after the seller approved the return. But if that link doesn’t appear, phone ebay.  You need to let the seller know how much postage will be to return it as the cost could be slightly different.  The Canada post calculator is here...

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e2s1

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

He sent me the refund (only the amount I paid for the game, no money for the label).

And I see no link on where I can ask eBay to step in and help.

Also, still having trouble finding their number.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

You have already been refunded the full amount that you originally paid for the purchase?  If so, then you do not need to send the game back as the seller has refunded before the return which generally means they do not want the item back.  

There is no onus on you to return it although if they do send a label now, the right thing would be to return it. So unless they suddenly pay for return shipping, there is no need for you to do anything or to contact eBay.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Yes, he refunded me the amount that I originally paid for the game. He does want the game back though. He sent me a message that literally said:

I refund the money can I please have the item returned

If he sends me a label, I would definitely send the game back. But I don't want to pay for shipping to send it back. I looked up the prices and it's almost as much as the refund.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

Hi @machzy - glad to hear that you got a refund from the seller, that's good news! 

If the seller wants their item back, they would be expected to arrange a return shipping method for you: whether that be sending you a label, or sending you sufficient money to purchase a label on your own. You are not expected to cover return postage in this situation. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Awesome, thanks a lot Tyler!

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

tyler@ebay  @machzy 

Hello Tyler,

For NAD's does the seller have have to return the original postage or just return shipping if they would like the item returned?

-Lotz

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - typically if a return request is opened with a not as described reason we would expect a seller to issue a full refund inclusive of outbound shipping (if they charged a buyer for it). 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Hi Tyler, maybe you can help me with this.

On Oct 12, the seller initiated the refund and I got this email from eBay:

The seller accepted your return of XXXXX - Complete and initiated a refund through PayPal as an eCheque. The refund should clear by Oct 22, 2019. If not, you can open an eBay Money Back Guarantee case.

I'm still not seeing the refund show up in my PayPal account and I checked my credit card, not seeing it there either.

How do I open a Money Back Guarantee case? or should I be doing something different?

Message 20 of 24
latest reply