Shill bidding???

I have a question that is open to all for reponse. Yesterday I was involved in a auction for a knife collection, up until the last 10 minutes I was winning when a new bidder entered the fray, I quickly checked the bidders info and noticed until now he had no activity in the last 6 months. We got into a bit of a bidding war and he won, however I could not shake the feeling something was amiss. About 4 minutes after the auction ended I get an email from the seller asking me if I wanted the knives as the "mystery buyer" backed out. This just did not seem to be coincidence, and needless to say I did not buy the knives despite how much I wanted them. This sure felt like a case of shill bidding or have I become too cynical. Should I report this to Ebay????

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Shill bidding???

Report it by all means.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Shill bidding???

I would report it too!

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Shill bidding???

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would ask the seller that I would pay at the lowest price before the myster buyer backed out and if he refused, then you knew it is a sham for getting more higher price.  It happened to me a few times and I caught them in the act and they bowed to my request in paying the lowest price should that highest bidder didn't bid in the first place or I would report them to eBay.  Since then I never see those sellers as they become "no longer registered".

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Shill bidding???

I would ask the seller that I would pay at the lowest price before the myster buyer backed out and if he refused, then you knew it is a sham for getting more higher price.  It happened to me a few times and I caught them in the act and they bowed to my request in paying the lowest price should that highest bidder didn't bid in the first place or I would report them to eBay.  Since then I never see those sellers as they become "no longer registered".

I did, I wrote back and pretty much stated the same, I will take them for the price I was willing to pay, I never heard back. I just wish there was a way of reporting this and have the ability to explain to Ebay exactly what occurred. I find the "Report an Item" link to be very vague, with no room for explanation.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Shill bidding???

The "Report an Item" link used to have room to write an explanation. It was not long (about 50 characters I think), but at least, it was something. I wonder why they took it out of the form. Maybe because they don't care anymore? I know a seller who used to shill bid A LOT (and I have proof), but he's still selling and STILL has his "Power Seller" logo. It's a shame really 😞

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Shill bidding???

The "Report an Item" link used to have room to write an explanation. It was not long (about 50 characters I think), but at least, it was something. I wonder why they took it out of the form. Maybe because they don't care anymore? I know a seller who used to shill bid A LOT (and I have proof), but he's still selling and STILL has his "Power Seller" logo. It's a shame really 😞

There's no room for an explanation because they don't care...what you wrote and are relying on repeat reports or patterns that will be picked up by their computer based requirements. In the end, it doesn't really matter why a person gets reported, but if numerous people (ebay only knows) report that seller/buyer, it will be enough to take action. The details are not really required. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Shill bidding???

Yes it is getting harder to do business on Ebay. Sellers that can get away with wrongdoing till who knows how long, Ebay is never clear about that. My best example is a seller that I know for fact is selling counterfeit items ie. bayonets, plus to add to that they are trying to avoid fees by charging grossly inflating shipping costs re: starting price .99 shipping in Canada $76. There is also another point as the seller states they are in Canada, but in fact the bayonets are being shipped in from China. I have given up counting how many times I have reported all this to Ebay, but here we are 4 months later and the same seller is still going strong! Also I have noticed a marked increase in buyers not paying, again Ebay is doing too little too late. Combine all this with the canning of the ebucks program, increased shipping rates and Ebay is not feeling like the safe, welcoming site I joined 12 years ago.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Shill bidding???

Hey bud

E-bay has a policy on shill bidding for which i read up on

and it states you don't have to report it cause they have a way

to catch people doing shill bidding

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Shill bidding???

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 10 of 10
latest reply