Since when did Canada Post stopped collecting duties at the door?

I'm just upset that I stayed home the whole morning because I was expecting my parcel to arrive, just to find out that a notice card was left at the community mailbox with zero delivery attempt made... 😔
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Just complained to a friend and they said they just paid for duty at the door last month, and they even lived in an apartment complex, so harder to access than my house 🙃
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Just as it seems to be a gamble as to whether or not an item is assessed for taxes and duties by CBSA, it also seems to be a gamble whether customs charges are collected at the door or if they're "carded" instead.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It's possible that item was sent with signature required and it might not be the duties you have to go in person for. I've received delivery cards for pick up at my local post office even when there was no duty required but sender had marked "signature required".

We got a couple of years off from signatures during Covid but I think things are almost back to normal now so I would think they should come to the door. It doesn't seem to be consistent since I have found occassionally items were left at my door even when duty was owing and got the UPS bill in the mail instead.

There's always the chance too that even though you were home if you were doing something or in the back yard, etc. you don't hear the knock. They don't wait long and not sure why some decide to knock even though we have a bell.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Nah I was watching TV by the living room facing the window, and the postie didn't even pull up the truck to my door as I'd have noticed. He just left the notice in the community box.

No signature required. It's actually things a friend shipped to me with surface mail.

I wonder if there's a specific way to complain about the no delivery attempt as phoning CS was a waste of time this morning.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:
Nah I was watching TV by the living room facing the window, and the postie didn't even pull up the truck to my door as I'd have noticed. He just left the notice in the community box.

No signature required. It's actually things a friend shipped to me with surface mail.

I wonder if there's a specific way to complain about the no delivery attempt as phoning CS was a waste of time this morning.

Not sure if the case but if item will not fit in community mail box it gets carded for pick up. 2nd reason would be taxes/duties/processing owing. Personally can't recall the last time I had home delivery with CP. That could have been why you didn't see a driver. It's similar to the infamous OJ glove....If it doesn't fit....they must card package!!  😉

I just had a UPS shipment finally arrive. Was scheduled for delivery 2 Fridays ago. Was then rescheduled due to a supposed bad address for redelivery 3 more times last week. Looking at the parcel label the address was correct. I was downstairs when the driver rang bell. By time I got upstairs driver was long gone.  The frustrations of the new normal with purchasing online in Canada. According the UPS/Fedex for Intl. shipments you have to pay in advance for customs fees when owed. Drivers do not collect at the door. With CP taxes can be been online in advance with a limited window(text message only). You would need to have signed up for tracking notifications. Most common option would be at a depot with card and proof of ID. 

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/receiving/tracking/how-to-pay-duty-and-taxe...

-Lotz

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

It might depend on who is working or the policy at that post office.  We also have a community mailbox and for years we have had to go the postal outlet to get all packages that require a signature or money due.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Since finding the right door and waiting for a response which may or may not come takes time, a pressed for time carrier may just think, "Ah, probably at work at this hour. Leave the notice and on to the next job."

Are you aware of the newish FlexDelivery service which is basically what you got? You only get Notices for parcels and then pick up at the PO when convenient.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It might depend on who is working or the policy at that post office.  We also have a community mailbox and for years we have had to go the postal outlet to get all packages that require a signature or money due.

Different post offices may have different contractual arrangements with their employees and/or agents.  While there's a move to have letter carriers deliver all letters and parcels to their destination, there are some (such as mine) where parcels are delivered by a contractee.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply