This is weird.

I was interested in bidding on a necklace that a seller has and wanted to see what else they have for sale.  I have an address in the states and it is set up to ship there so there is no issue with shipping.

I had it in my watch list so I clicked on the item, then when to see what else the buyer has and this is what showed up. 0 listings.  No listings showed up for .ca even though my address is in the US.not showing.jpg

Now I went to .com and went to see other listings and this is what I got.   So it seems that if the seller is only shipping to the US, their listings do not show up on .ca even with a buyer with a US address.  shipping.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

This is weird.

Yes, I have noticed that too. Sellers who only ship to the US & not to Canada will not show up on .ca when searching. If I go to .com then it shows their listings.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

This is weird.

If the seller is using the correct blocks, that's how it has been set up to work for years.  If the seller has in their listings that they ship to the US but they don't have any countries blocked or don't have the shipping preference block for 'block buyers in countries with a main shipping address in countries that I don't ship to" then you may see them on .ca.  But if the seller has .ca blocked or has that shipping preference set up, it will be as if the listings don't exist...regardless of your shipping address.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

This is weird.

If he really didn't want to deal with furriners, he could Block non-US Paypal accounts.

Some do when they realize they are paying 4.4% in PP fees on those payments.

Canadian sellers pay 3.4 % or 3.7% PP fees on non-Canadian sales.

And then there is the new Internet Sales Tax. He pays PP fees on that too, even though he never touches the money.

Is your US address in a state that has implemented the Internet Sales Tax? Have you decided whether or not it is still worth keeping the address?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

This is weird.

My address is in Washington state.  Yes it is worth it for me as many of the items I buy online either don't ship to Canada or the shipping is too high.  For instance, for my parents I have to buy hip saver pants.  It is 44.99 US which is about $60 canadian plus applicable taxes and shipping, if I was to order from Canada the same pants are $86.99 plus applicable taxes and shipping.  Now we go down to the US for the day, have lunch and make it an outing, so the time and the cost of gas are worth it.  hipsaver canada.jpghipsaver us.jpg

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

This is weird.

Do they still pay  4.4% paypal fees when I use money from my US paypal account?

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

This is weird.

If you have a US Paypal account then they pay 2.9%. If you pay in $US from your Canadian PP account then it would be 4.4%.

Just as a fyi...Blocking non US PP accounts has nothing to do with whether or not you can see a listing on .ca.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

This is weird.

That's right. A Canadian (or German or Russian) can see the listing if the seller ships to that country. Only if the country is Blocked would the customer be unable to see the listing, since the seller chooses not to ship there.

Blocking the non-US PP accounts is most useful for sellers who are terrified of freight forwarders, who have US addresses.

The overseas buyer can then see and buy, but can't pay for the item.

The seller then cancels using most  likely "problem with address" and misses the sale.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply