USPS First Class International Mail to Canada

Hey guys, I have some questions regarding International First Class Mail to Canada. 

So I bought a $30 item from the US and the seller shipped it via FCM International. 

This is the first time I would be receiving a package via FCM, unfortunately I've only received packages from the US via GSP so I was wondering how long it usually takes?

1st Question: I was told tracking numbers that start with L(in this case LZ) aren't required to be scanned, is this true?

2nd Question: Once the package arrives at the Canadian border(In Canada Post's possession) does Canada Post label it as Xpresspost? 

Thanks guys, have an awesome day!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi, I often receive packages shipped by FCMI and it is usually faster to arrive than with GSP. The average for me is one week and a half. Although it is sometime faster or slower, depending if the border takes the time to assess taxes due. But it rarely happens.

1. Any bar code is scanned now, even those beginning with LC (old Post Office green custom forms).

2. They are all labelled Xpresspost by Canada Post too (even the LC codes).

This has been my experience since the E-Delcon Service was introduced back in January 2013. There have been some exceptions, but I can count them on one hand. And I buy A LOT of stuff per month (on my buying account, not this one).

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hi, I often receive packages shipped by FCMI and it is usually faster to arrive than with GSP. The average for me is one week and a half. Although it is sometime faster or slower, depending if the border takes the time to assess taxes due. But it rarely happens.

1. Any bar code is scanned now, even those beginning with LC (old Post Office green custom forms).

2. They are all labelled Xpresspost by Canada Post too (even the LC codes).

This has been my experience since the E-Delcon Service was introduced back in January 2013. There have been some exceptions, but I can count them on one hand. And I buy A LOT of stuff per month (on my buying account, not this one).

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was reading the description of one item and was dismayed when I read that the seller said that to ship anything to Canada by GSP is 'MANDATED" by eBay!!!  Why don't eBay encourage the US sellers to use E-Delcon which is much cheaper than GSP and it is direct from sellers to buyers unlike with GSP and rarely arrived damaged unlike with GSP!!  E-Delcon includes tracking number and at much way cheaper rates than GSP (with GSP 5 to 15 times higher in postage rates!!).

With GSP I would say about 1 out of 20 came fine, while the other 19 came damaged!!  It is worth it that eBay encourage the US sellers to use GSP.  No matter how many pages I have seen about the vents, complaints about GSP, eBay seems to prefer to use GSP which I suspect that GSP is a "goldmine" for them in some way!!

Too many US sellers claimed that they didn't know they "opt in" GSP which was done by the sneaky tricky eBay!!  Is that fair that eBay don't allow US sellers to have the options to use any mail service not to be forced to opt in GSP by eBay??

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

" the seller said that to ship anything to Canada by GSP is 'MANDATED" by eBay!!!  "

That seller is obviously and unfortunately misinformed.

An American seller could set up his listings to use GSP for overseas shipments and USPS for Canada.

but, let's face it, it is so much easier to "blame eBay".

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Great, thank you. 

I'll wait and see how fast/slow it will come in. 

I'll keep you guys updated!:)

Message 5 of 5
latest reply