What do I do if my best offer was accepted, but the seller won't fix the listing price?

Hi there 🙂

I recently put in a best offer on an item, which was accepted.  In my terms I listed free shipping, and the best offer was accepted.  The seller now refuses to give me free shipping, and despite me trying many times to converse with him, he has now gone completely silent, refuses to cancel the transaction, claims he can't change the listing at all and I don't know what else to do.  I've left negative feedback in hopes of him seeing I'm not screwing around. I'm no longer interested in purchasing anything from this man, as he is just so ridiculous.

What do I do now?  I'm not paying for the item. I tried to retract my offer, but eBay won't allow it, saying I need to contact him.  But, I already have to no avail.  Any ideas? 😞  (The item is a $19 item, but he's asking for over $25 in shipping fees for some unknown reason now, despite having told me he couldn't change the shipping, and the item not having had that much shipping in the first place)

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: What do I do if my best offer was accepted, but the seller won't fix the listing price?

The seller is listing stuff with the GSP which clearly neither of you understands.

He does not have any latitude over shipping, he is locked into the third party shipper, but will not receive any money paid for the international part of the shipping, all he can do is ship domestically for nothing.

The seller will be able to get the FB removed (I hope). If they have any sense they will then opt out of the GSP.

Your seller has done their best for you, given their ignorance, you have unfairly negged them, due to your ignorance.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: What do I do if my best offer was accepted, but the seller won't fix the listing price?

If your offer included free shipping I have a feeling that your seller did not see that.  He charges $18 within the U.S. so I can't see him shipping for free to Canada even if he wasn't using the GSP. If your offer was for $19 with free shipping, he would be losing money as I'm sure that shipping alone would be more than $19. It sounds like there was a miscommunication somewhere along the line.

As far as what you should do...there's no need fo you to do anything. It the seller files for an unpaid item so that he can his ebay fees back, you will get a strike but if that is your only one, it won't effect you at all. If you phone ebay, I'm sure they would remove it.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You are in the wrong here.

If a best offer item has the shipping stated then

the shipping cannot be negotiated,

You pay the shipping as stated.

For listings in which the seller has specified shipping costs for the item, the Best Offer price includes only the listed item. For listings in which the shipping costs aren't specified, the buyer can choose to include shipping costs in their offer.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I once had a person purchased a product from me with an international address even though I only enabled domestic selling.

I contacted eBay and they mentioned when they attempt to proceed with payment they will not be able to do it unless they provide a domestic address. 

I presume if your offer was accepted it was basically based on your country of purchase. 

I would just let it go. Things happen

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It's not a matter of me letting anything go. He needs to cancel the transaction and will not. He knows I'm not paying, it's his own negligence not mine. If he accepts an offer he is to abide by it the same as anyone else. If he doesn't want to give free shipping, he is to deny the best offer as everyone else does. The buyer is allowed to select terms and the seller to deny or accept them. That's how things work, and is the point of the process.

If it was an oversight on his behalf, totally fine. I've told him I do not wish to purchase if he isn't going to abide by the terms he accepted, he just needs to cancel and all is well. He's tried to tell me to pay it, and will refund me, (which, I'm sorry.. I'm not falling for that bs), has doubled the shipping costs in the process of is discussing the matter via eBay message, and now refuses to even get back to me.

It isn't a domestic thing, he ships to where I am just fine. He didn't read, won't abide by what he accepted and now refuses to do anything. THAT is the problem. I can't call eBay as they aren't in my country and it isn't worth paying international calling just to avoid a silly strike. I was asking for a real solution. Not finger pointing.

If anyone has a real answer, feel free to post or message me. I'm not up for playing the blame game, just trying to not get ripped off in the cancellation process. I can't even cancel my bid or anything for some reason.

Thanks!
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

If you do get an unpaid item strike, call customer service and it is odds on it will be removed if it is your first one.

You cannot cancel a bid that  completes a sale, even if the seller is not selling. The seller sounds as baffled by all this as you are. Just forget it.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Your seller should follow through as the offer was accepted and it's a binding contract.

The seller didn't see your conditions when the offer was accepted but after this experience he/she will have learned to look at conditions and should take it as the price of a lesson learned.

(Bet it won't be overlooked ever again.)

Email the seller and point out that if the transaction is not cancelled that FVFs will be owing.

Email the link to cancel and explain how easy it is to do.  A lot of new sellers are not aware of that function and that they'll have to pay FVFs if they don't use it.

Then, if the seller refuses you'll get a strike and you can call eBay and they will remove it.

Time consuming?  You bet.  But that's eBay!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

You are registered in Canada.  You can telephone eBay free.  Click on "Customer Support" on the upper right of your eBay screen.  Choose "Customer Support" again, then choose "Contact eBay".  You will be given a number that is good for 15 minutes, or you can choose to have them call you back.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply