What if you receive a package you cannot explain or identify?

deontaz
Community Member

I have an interesting Ebay issue and of course I cannot get through to any kind of customer support online because my problem doesn't match any of the standard issues/questions 🙂  rather frustrating.

I have recently received a package of electronic parts from a Chinese Ebay seller.  Well, I'm assuming it is a Chinese Ebay seller, because  I do buy parts from China on Ebay pretty regularly and this packet looks just like all the others I receive.  However, this package is puzzling because I have no memory and no record of ordering these parts.  I received qty 6 of a small multimeter breakout board.  I have been looking through my order history for the entire year and I can't find this item.

In fact, I can't find this item on Ebay at all!  I tried searching for "digital voltmeter breakout" and "digital multimeter breakout" and then with "module" instead of "breakout" and so on.  Can't find a board that looks like this one.  There is a number on the label that I thought might be the Ebay ID of the seller (10003194) but there's no such seller.

Of course no paperwork was included with the shipment so I have no idea which seller sent the package.  It came from the huge Bentian Shanxue industrial park.  There's a phone number on the label but it matches none of the phone numbers listed online for manufacturers in that park.  I don't have a cheap international dialing plan so am reluctant to start what could be a long and costly phone conversation over a low-value pack of parts 🙂

The immediate suspicion would be that these parts were shipped in error, for qty 6 of some other part that I did order.  Unfortunately I have not found an open order for qty 6 of anything electronic. 

In other words I have received a mystery package, out of the blue, that looks very much like other packages of electronic goodies I've bought on Ebay from Chinese mfrs, but this one can't be accounted for.  Has anyone else ever received a surprise package of this kind?  Maybe some other buyer somewhere is wondering where their stuff is?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

mcrlmn
Community Member

If it's not yours, take it to the Post Office and return to sender.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I once received a bicycle from UPS.

It showed up, neatly boxed, in my backyard. The carrier had carefully opened the gate and put it there.

The actual address was the same house number but a street two blocks away.

I completed the delivery and the student who needed it for transportation was happy.

In other words, stuff happens.

Your address was on the package?

A busy clerk mistook your address (in Roman letters not Simplified Chinese) for the guy on his screen above yours.

Return to Sender only works if you haven't opened the package.

You'd have to pay to ship it back to China.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Keep it, dump it, or donate it.

You are not responsible for the mistaken delivery.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Is there a possibility that this is an order you made through a site other than eBay?
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

deontaz
Community Member
Well it turns out this is an item I ordered, but the contents/customs label on the outside of package was incorrect. I had to open the package to find this out 🙂 it was a small dollar item so no big deal, it was just the first time I've ever received a mystery parcel so I was curious.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply