What is behind all the Canadian hating on eBay?

I almost fell into a serious trap, purchasing a Casio watch from a "top rated seller". The price for the watch was acceptable, and I nearly finalized the transaction, but fortunately, caught the outrageous shipping at the last moment. In this case, the seller was charging $302.90 for USPS Priority Mail shipping from Oakton Virginia.

It wasn't an inadvertent error. I reviewed 54 pages of this sellers store, and the vast majority of the listings, had shipping charges of hundreds and hundreds of dollars above any reasonable fees. To Canada that is. Not for US buyers. This creates a environment of financial peril for Canadian consumers.

Although eBay may not overtly counsel such behavior , they certainly have set an example and precedent, by subjecting Canadians to the sub standard service, and exorbitant rapes charged through the GSP program. And they reward behavior like the above mentioned crook, by pronouncing these shameless opportunists to be "top rated sellers". Maybe that title is how they reward sellers who are able to inspire Pitney Bowes into charging new premiums for the underwhelming service they foist upon us. I'm sure that PB and eBay are enrichening themselves, more than usually, as they reap the bounty of this pandemic, but when will enough be enough?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

I fell into the GSP trap for the first time a few weeks ago. Let's just say it will be the last time that happens! I usually pick up my US shipments from a (highly trusted) border pick up place. Since I've been denied that opportunity for nearly a year now, I suppose I had a moment of weakness!

I'm convinced that the GSP lacks longevity, considering all the problems I've read about it. Not to mention the fact that they're so many other re-shippers available for buyers to use.
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

gsp is going no where anytime soon.. It is a get of jail card, for usa seller's.. as long as they prove they shipped it to the center, they are mostly done, with the transaction..

As much as i hate to buy through  it, i believe there would be big advantages to sell through it..

But knock on wood, i don't expect to see it/...

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

EBay is messing about with an in-house (?) program called International Shipping or something like that.

I haven't heard anything good about it yet. Early days.

A lot of the problems with GSP at first were buyers who were shocked to be charged duty and more often Sales Taxes on imports valued over $20Cdn. which had been the standard for imports since the mid-80s.

With the change to $150 duty free and $40 sales tax free, as of July 1, 2020, most of those complaints have disappeared.

We still have the screams of despair from buyers who are obsessively following the complex tracking, instead of realizing that if it doesn't arrive by the estimated delivery date, eBay has a Money Back Guarantee.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

You do know, what the seller doesn't, that he will be charged a 10% fee on that shipping fee, right?

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

The money back guarantee doesn't hold a lot of weight for shipments that are recorded as 'delivered' when they're not. I've seen just as many complaints about that in this forum, than I have about month+ delivery times, theft, and switcheroos.

All the GSP did was take away the ability for US sellers to ship to Canada via USPS quickly, and have $20-$60 priced items slide- through customs duty/ tax free most of the time. I don't think it's opened the door for US sellers to ship to Canada that previously wouldn't - its just given them the ability to be lazy.

Can you imagine if Americans had to wait a month to get something from shipped from Canada? They get antsy after a week has gone by.

All I can say is thank God for ChitChats...
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:
The money back guarantee doesn't hold a lot of weight for shipments that are recorded as 'delivered' when they're not. I've seen just as many complaints about that in this forum, than I have about month+ delivery times, theft, and switcheroos.

All the GSP did was take away the ability for US sellers to ship to Canada via USPS quickly, and have $20-$60 priced items slide- through customs duty/ tax free most of the time. I don't think it's opened the door for US sellers to ship to Canada that previously wouldn't - its just given them the ability to be lazy.

Can you imagine if Americans had to wait a month to get something from shipped from Canada? They get antsy after a week has gone by.

From what I have read on the US boards sellers used to be charged FVF's on the shipping up to GSP warehouse. Somewhere along the way it was adjusted to include the entire amount to the final receiver(Not sure about those nasty processing fees/tax portion). But like many things inside of eBay it's very difficult to confirm with 100% certainty. If this IS the case curious to know how many US sellers bumped up their handling fees big time to make up for this change causing the very often pie in the sky shipping amounts to become the norm?

-Lotz

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:

My thoughts are the opposite.  The GSP hasn't "taken away" the option for US sellers to use USPS if they so wish, and I think that if the GSP weren't available, most sellers using it would not offer direct international shipping.

The smart ones know that even First Class Package International is trackable if the postage is purchased online and that they can purchase insurance through another party.  The GSP acts as a filter for me, the buyer, as it gives me a better idea whether or not the seller knows what they're doing.

Keep in mind that the program is named the Global Shipping Program and not the Canada Shipping Program because it serves about 100 different countries, not all of them as straightforward to ship to as Canada, and that sales to Canada generally don't figure all that prominently for most US eBay sellers.

@teenytrinkets wrote:

Interesting how you have concerns about US sellers who use an intermediary service to ship to Canada (and elsewhere) and praise for an intermediary shipping service for Canadian sellers.  Granted, the reason for the service and the reasons Canadian sellers use ChitChats are quite different than the ones for which US sellers use the GSP (if they even realize they're using it) but the fact remains, everyone has their reasons for handling their sales the way they do, even if they're not good ones, even if we buyers don't like 'em.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

I read many of these similar comments and see the name numbers you do. it really makes me angry. the way the GSP operates, the US lumps us in with Surinam or the Central African Republic in terms of postal service reliability. American sellers dont seem able or willing to look thru the other side of the lens and see how these shipping prices are simply put, extortionate, and drive away Canadian customers, people right on their doorsteps - the longest undefended border in the world, to be exact - basically saying, 'here, please take my money'. And they still dont want our money, pure and simple. I go on .com message boards here or on reddit and see this ridiculous, self congratulatory tripe all the time from US sellers about how its either "GSP or bust, because...", its always inferred if it isn't expressed directly that international customers are by nature untrustworthy and trying to scam sellers constantly. I've done this long enough to conclude that scam artists are so infrequent (it helps to know how to spot them!) they make up a fraction of 1% of my sales and that customers on here are, in overwhelming numbers, honest, and just want their item, pure and simple. The comments and attitudes I read on these forums really speaks to major lack of trust of international buyers by US sellers. They clearly do not think or feel the same way about buyers. I dont know how you address something like that, although flushing Donald Trump was a great start. The GSP is an ebay program, so they are directly responsible for it and are responsible for the simple fact that it drives so many Canadian customers away. But to be honest, I dont think either it matters enough to ebay about what Canadian customers want or what works for us - not because they dont care, but because they spend so much time placating perpetually unsatisfied US sellers they dont have time to do anything else. Canadian customers from a dollar perspective are a drop in the bucket for ebay, so the response will be in accordance with that reality. Thats why its important as a Canadian with money to vote with your wallet. If you dont like how something is being run, find what you need elsewhere. You need to do what I and many others already do concerning the GSP - whenever you see an item listed being shipped thru the GSP, keep looking until you find it offered by someone who doesn't.
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

In speaking to many many many US sellers over the last several years when asking if they would ship outside of GSP a good percentage were A) unaware of exactly what the program entailed or how they ever got enrolled or that it was possible to un-enroll. Some, it was another one of those eBay automagic situations. B) That it was possible to skip shipping using that program if it was agreeable to both buyer and seller. It is easy to find that step if you where to look for it. It has been modified in help over the last 6 months.

It's been asked a number of times for a filter to screen out GSP in search which would be extremely helpful. Unfortunately this is something that will never happen. If someone came up with an App for this they would make a fortune. Send me a percentage please!!  😉 When the vast majority are using GSP for whatever the reason it is making it harder and harder if you are looking for something in particular to find it without and/or reasonable shipping. I'm sorry, but it shouldn't cost 25 USD to ship a 6 dollar small paperback/manual to Canada. GSP shouldn't be the go to to do so!!

-Lotz

PS. Shipping to Canada, Germany, Australia etc is NOT rocket science!!!

https://shippingeasy.com/resources/easiest-countries-to-sell-internationally/

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

A lot of Americans are paranoid and xenophobic.

And poorly educated, not understanding that there are other countries, other currencies and other legal systems.

For example, claiming they have the world's first democracy, which is not even true for North America.

And the fear and loathing inspired by seeing a freight forwarding address, without any understanding that freight forwarders (which included GSP and chitchat) are the second safest addresses a seller can be given.

EBay was forced to add Alaska, Hawai'i, and APO (military) addresses to their Blockable addresses. They don't even trust each other.

Trump was the embodiment of that paranoia. But it will take a lot of education before it subsides.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@teenytrinkets wrote:

My thoughts are the opposite.  The GSP hasn't "taken away" the option for US sellers to use USPS if they so wish, and I think that if the GSP weren't available, most sellers using it would not offer direct international shipping.

The smart ones know that even First Class Package International is trackable if the postage is purchased online and that they can purchase insurance through another party.  The GSP acts as a filter for me, the buyer, as it gives me a better idea whether or not the seller knows what they're doing.

Keep in mind that the program is named the Global Shipping Program and not the Canada Shipping Program because it serves about 100 different countries, not all of them as straightforward to ship to as Canada, and that sales to Canada generally don't figure all that prominently for most US eBay sellers.

@teenytrinkets wrote:

Interesting how you have concerns about US sellers who use an intermediary service to ship to Canada (and elsewhere) and praise for an intermediary shipping service for Canadian sellers.  Granted, the reason for the service and the reasons Canadian sellers use ChitChats are quite different than the ones for which US sellers use the GSP (if they even realize they're using it) but the fact remains, everyone has their reasons for handling their sales the way they do, even if they're not good ones, even if we buyers don't like 'em.

The main and probably most important reason Canadian sellers use services like Chit Chats is reduce shipping pricing to their customers. Cut and dried. Cheaper shipping options = More potential business. 

Between GSP/ International Standard shipping and the myriad of options US sellers have to purchase discount shipping,(Including special deals from eBay USA) how many sellers offer reduced shipping options to Canada (Most offer free or reduced shipping to US buyers). Few and far between. Almost everything we have gotten over the last several years a seller can get on their own without the help of eBay Canada. Having some sort of discount with NetParcel should have been in place prior to implementation instead of maybe possibly eventually down the road.

-Lotz

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@teenytrinkets wrote:

From what I have read on the US boards sellers used to be charged FVF's on the shipping up to GSP warehouse. Somewhere along the way it was adjusted to include the entire amount to the final receiver(Not sure about those nasty processing fees/tax portion). But like many things inside of eBay it's very difficult to confirm with 100% certainty. If this IS the case curious to know how many US sellers bumped up their handling fees big time to make up for this change causing the very often pie in the sky shipping amounts to become the norm?

-Lotz

Sellers using the gsp are not and never have been charged fees on the international shipping or import fees. 

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@teenytrinkets wrote:

-Lotz

Sellers using the gsp are not and never have been charged fees on the international shipping or import fees. 

From the discussion below on dot com (July/Aug 2020) the question was asked but never answered by Charlespayment) several times.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Did-ebay-ever-answer-about-FVF-in-MP-for-Global-Shipping/m-p/...

Attached link for follow up info. If you can find something that is official that confirms this is not the case it would be appreciated.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Actual-comparison-of-fee-hike-in-MP-for-item-sold-yesterday-9...

Info from GSP page attached. It states regarding fees that If you only offer 1-day or international shipping but no cheaper option like domestic shipping, the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the service the buyer chooses.

https://www.ebay.com/help/global-shipping-program/default/global-shipping-program?id=4646

I remember seeing more than a bit of an uproar when these changes happened and there was no official announcement. This is important information to know because if a Canadian buyer purchases from a US seller it could be adding more fees to the transaction so the seller could recover. More smoke and mirrors.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

From the discussion below on dot com (July/Aug 2020) the question was asked but never answered by Charlespayment) several times.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Did-ebay-ever-answer-about-FVF-in-MP-for-Global-Shipping/m-p/...

The last post in that thread dates back to August.  The poster of that thread had some concerns about being charged FVF on GSP charges when they switched over to MP but they still seem to be using the GSP on a new listing of theirs that I checked.  The thread they linked to about the "99% FVF increase" dates back to May and is after one or two posts.

Info from GSP page attached. It states regarding fees that If you only offer 1-day or international shipping but no cheaper option like domestic shipping, the total amount of the sale is calculated based on the service the buyer chooses.

That quote is from the Managed Payments page, not the GSP page.  I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around it, to be honest, as I can't imagine a US seller listing on .com not offering domestic US shipping.

Having said that, I'm guessing that for the purposes of that information page, a seller enrolled in the GSP is considered to be not offering their own international shipping option as they're not shipping outside of the United States; PitneyBowes takes that role on for the seller.

There's also this:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/global-shipping-program.html#m22_tb_a1__4

Seller fees

• There is no fee to join the Global Shipping Program.
  • Your final value fee is based on the final price of the item, shipping charges to the Global Shipping Center, and any other amounts you may charge the buyer. Sales tax is not included.
  • Standard eBay selling fees and PayPal fees apply, including PayPal's transaction fees for cross-border payments.
  • For managed payments sellers, standard selling fees for managed payments sellers apply, including the international fee.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

That's the major question. What exactly does the "International Fee" encompass. And eventually someday all sellers will be in MP so it will be again a case of it is what it is. Something I really don't like to say.

-Lotz

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

That's the major question. What exactly does the "International Fee" encompass?

This thread should answer your question.  The "International Fee" is charged on the item and the seller's charge for shipping the item to Kentucky:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/GSP-and-Managed-Payments/td-p/31480959

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@marnotom! 

Thanks. It just seemed to me that some of the information that displayed contradicted itself regarding cross border fees and then there was the lack of follow up from Charles which left many hanging.

-Lotz

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

What an irrelevant response. Who would be stupid enough except by accident, to purchase a $10 item with a $300 shipping fee?

And if someone WAS that idiotic as to willingly pay 300, well, willing or unwilling the seller collects $290 in profit, for doing nothing. What a great deal. %10 is a trivial amount. Must be nice to be "punished" like that. I've been VERY naughty. Give me some of thar sweet correction!

Thank you Sir! May I have another!

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

I'd still like to see the listings. I have been successful in several instances, in convincing the seller to ship outside the GSP. A few times I even offered to abandon all recourse on my part, by offering to claim delivery, before they ship. I tell them I'm aware they could totally rip me off, but I think most people are better than that, and I haven't been scammed like that yet. When they hear the details, and the price, and how slow it is, sometimes they change their mind.
I've even offered a few times to pay the same amount to the seller, as the GSP would cost, because I'd rather give them the $, and even then, it's still a better deal than the GSP, because I get faster shipping.
Message 20 of 28
latest reply