What is behind all the Canadian hating on eBay?

I almost fell into a serious trap, purchasing a Casio watch from a "top rated seller". The price for the watch was acceptable, and I nearly finalized the transaction, but fortunately, caught the outrageous shipping at the last moment. In this case, the seller was charging $302.90 for USPS Priority Mail shipping from Oakton Virginia.

It wasn't an inadvertent error. I reviewed 54 pages of this sellers store, and the vast majority of the listings, had shipping charges of hundreds and hundreds of dollars above any reasonable fees. To Canada that is. Not for US buyers. This creates a environment of financial peril for Canadian consumers.

Although eBay may not overtly counsel such behavior , they certainly have set an example and precedent, by subjecting Canadians to the sub standard service, and exorbitant rapes charged through the GSP program. And they reward behavior like the above mentioned crook, by pronouncing these shameless opportunists to be "top rated sellers". Maybe that title is how they reward sellers who are able to inspire Pitney Bowes into charging new premiums for the underwhelming service they foist upon us. I'm sure that PB and eBay are enrichening themselves, more than usually, as they reap the bounty of this pandemic, but when will enough be enough?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: What is behind all the Canadian hating on eBay?

The praise for an intermediary service like ChitChats is warranted, because it allows Canadian sellers to be competitive in the US Market, AND it runs flawlessly (at least it has for me). As does my pick up place in the US for my purchases.

The distain for an intermediary service like the GSP is that it allows US sellers to be lazy, ignorant or indifferent (sound familiar?), and not ship directly with USPS to Canadian buyers. And it's run horribly. Perhaps it makes it competitive on the whole for them internationally, but certainly for their Canadian customers, in particular (since a lot of us typicallyhave better options). But I honestly feel international sales are really an afterthought for most US sellers, anyway.

When I've contacted some sellers about shipping outside the GSP, most don't even know that's possible. This speaks to what Lotz posted...
Message 21 of 28
latest reply

@teenytrinkets wrote:

The praise for an intermediary service like ChitChats is warranted, because it allows Canadian sellers to be competitive in the US Market, AND it runs flawlessly (at least it has for me). As does my pick up place in the US for my purchases.

The purpose of my post wasn't to bury or praise either the GSP or ChitChats but to simply state that sellers have their own reasons for employing the services they do. If ChitChats were to change its operations in such a way that it made it inconvenient for you to use the service (Say, it moved to a location a three hour drive away from you, insisted on a twenty-five package minimum per visit and you had to present them in person), you'd probably have to rethink your business model, bite the bullet, use more expensive but more convenient shipping, and pass the costs onto your buyers.

@teenytrinkets wrote:

The distain for an intermediary service like the GSP is that it allows US sellers to be lazy, ignorant or indifferent (sound familiar?), and not ship directly with USPS to Canadian buyers. And it's run horribly. Perhaps it makes it competitive on the whole for them internationally, but certainly for their Canadian customers, in particular (since a lot of us typically have better options). But I honestly feel international sales are really an afterthought for most US sellers, anyway.

When I've contacted some sellers about shipping outside the GSP, most don't even know that's possible. This speaks to what Lotz posted...

No question that international sales are an afterthought for most US sellers.  Why do most Canadian sellers sell to the US?  It's a YUGE potential market.  Most US sellers can make a decent go of it without having to peddle their wares outside of their borders and outside of their comfort zones.

We see the United States in the news every day, in some way, shape or form.  How often to you think most Americans see Canada or even Mexico on the news?  (Heck, when was the last time WE saw Mexico in the news?)  No wonder we furriners are such bogeymen to many Americans.

I would submit that the ignorance of their place in the world  is the main reason why many American eBayers don't realize that shipping without the GSP is possible, not because of any mind-control hocus-pocus eBay or Pitney Bowes have sprinkled in their morning coffees.  People can think and read for themselves.  They just choose not to do so.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

@onebadwolf wrote:

In this case, the seller was charging $302.90 for USPS Priority Mail shipping from Oakton Virginia.

I'm sure that PB and eBay are enrichening themselves, more than usually, as they reap the bounty of this pandemic, but when will enough be enough?

Maybe I'm too tired, but I don't understand how the $302.90 shipping cost to Canada by USPS PM has anything to do with GSP?

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

@onebadwolf wrote:

In this case, the seller was charging $302.90 for USPS Priority Mail shipping from Oakton Virginia.

I'm sure that PB and eBay are enrichening themselves, more than usually, as they reap the bounty of this pandemic, but when will enough be enough?

Maybe I'm too tired, but I don't understand how the $302.90 shipping cost to Canada by USPS PM has anything to do with GSP?

ya no doubt. People commenting on stuff with crazy claims and it has nothing to do at all with USPS priority OP posted

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

as I can't imagine a US seller listing on .com not offering domestic US shipping.

We can't list on any eBay site without shipping to that site.

A Canadian seller listing on dotCA  MUST ship to Canada, but need not ship anywhere else.

A Canadian seller listing on dotCOM must ship to the USA, but need not ship anywhere else.

A US seller listing on dotCOdot UK must ship to Britain, but need not ship anywhere else.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

I have been buying from eBay for over 20 years.  While living in the US it was very good,  Also, it used to be genuine individuals who were listing on the eBay at that time.  Then the businessment got on to the platform.  Noe all the vendors of JUNK from especially China is on it through agents resident in the US.  It is a zoo out there.  One could always check and avoid 90% of them if careful.

Since I moved to Canada it has gotten worse.  It is the shipping racket now.  Big companies have got the 'contract' to do the shipping and customs clearance. They are trying to cut corners to sharpen profits.  It takes weeks if not months for you to get your purcase what you have won.  Fees are on the rise too.  For some items which are not subject to taxes and duties, it is not worth it.  The vendors have jacked-up the prices to cover their e-bay costs.

All-in-all, I seldom buy on eBay now.  It was a good thing which is going where the dinasaurus have gone.  I hate it.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

C'est La Vie!

Que Sera, Sera!

@kh-laura 

@kh-leslie 

@kh-phdan 

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2021!

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for your understanding!

Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 28 of 28
latest reply