eBay forces sellers premature early refund

After items not arrived by couple of weeks beyond eBay due dates, I opened eBay CASE, communicated with sellers NOT refund until 3 days before due date of CASE. However, eBay forced sellers to refund immediately after 3 days since opening a CASE. Then I noticed amount of refund via PayPal is less than my original payment. I discovered that PayPal refunds equal to original payment if exchange rate is in favor of buyer, but would reduce refund when exchange rate is not in favor of buyer.

eBay totally ignored buyer-seller communications and agreements on holding refunds until a later date and intimidates sellers to refund prematurely.

For this reason if an eBay item is received after seller refunded prematurely then seller will receive according to PayPal reduced refund amount.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@mesbah.javid wrote:

After items not arrived by couple of weeks beyond eBay due dates, I opened eBay CASE, communicated with sellers NOT refund until 3 days before due date of CASE. However, eBay forced sellers to refund immediately after 3 days since opening a CASE. ...

Why didn't you just send an email directly to the seller to let them know it was late and you would be opening an INR case on delivery date+26 days. And mark it on your TO-DO calendar.

As for eBay forcing --- I have 2 INR cases open at the moment, that both buyers are willing to wait a few weeks more (everything I mailed with Canada Post on one day is being delivered late) -- eBay's wording is that the seller has 4 days to respond or the case could get closed if they intervene. And they keep nagging if you have a buyer case email that has not been responded to.

The only time eBay should be closing the case and forcing a refund is if asked by either the buyer or the seller. But they might also do it if the seller hasn't responded to the buyer.

When the case is opened eBay asks PayPal to put a hold on seller funds for 2 weeks for the INR amount.

@mesbah.javid wrote:

... Then I noticed amount of refund via PayPal is less than my original payment. I discovered that PayPal refunds equal to original payment if exchange rate is in favor of buyer, but would reduce refund when exchange rate is not in favor of buyer.

INR and exchange rates are an issue depending on how the original payment was made. I have 4 currencies active on paypal at the moment -- if I ever got a refund in one of those currencies and I originally paid using my paypal funds -- there would be no exchange. There would be exchange charge if the refund money was not an active currency because the refund goes to the primary currency.

Payment via credit card goes back to the credit card (complete with exchange charges).

-..-

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Most sellers complain that eBay refunds too quickly, and most buyers that they refund too slowly.

Since you still trusted the seller that the item was shipped but delayed, was there any reason to go to an eBay dispute to begin with?

Many problems can be sorted out 'face to face' without calling in the eBay cops.

I discovered that PayPal refunds equal to original payment if exchange rate is in favor of buyer, but would reduce refund when exchange rate is not in favor of buyer.

And how did you 'discover' that?

You do know that the exchange rate changes rapidly, especially as world markets react to the insane clown posse current US President's flailings on Twitter world events?

Since I list in both USD and CDN, I find it interesting to notice how my prices change daily.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You are right, eBay gave me 4 days to refund a Buyer and they did it for me the on the 3rd day. The problem is my eBay rating, because it's gonna be affected because of that.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply