ebay has done it again with the global shipping

Well the ripoff is in full swing now. We also sell on dot com from our USA address with an actual American account. On may 1 ebay turned on the global shipping program for every USA seller without telling anyone AGAIN.... It is all over the US boards.

We discovered this by complete accident while listing a new item this morning. It took us almost 7 hours to go through each item with edit and take the check mark out of the stupid box. We had to do this since turning it off in seller account takes 72 hours after opting out AGAIN according to ebay. What a scam. This is about the 10th time we have had to opt out of this stupid scam.

We know it had to have been done on may 1 since we regularly sell to most of the world and everything has been normal. The last international sale was to italy on april 28 and there was no indication of any nonsense with that sale.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

marnotom!
Community Member

I would guess that this was a glitch since you appear to have been offering international shipping prior to the GSP being applied to your listings, although your exclusion list is freakin' huge.  Why exclude shipping to Greenland or Liechtenstein, for example?  Or is your exclusion list a glitch, too?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Because Greenland and Liechtenstein are both on the no ship list among many other countries. We ship from either Winnipeg, MB or Pembina, ND and are currently stuck on the Manitoba side of the border with the border being closed.  https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/our-company/news-and-media/service-alerts.page 

No glitch. The whole country had the GSP turned on without any notice. Every single listing listed on dot com with an American account has been hit with it. It is all over the US boards.

This is about the 10th time this has happened to out US account since the start of the stupid GSP. The other times it did not hit everybody all at once. But each time there was NO notice of it whatsoever.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@maximus7001 

Would you be able to post a screenshot please of where GSP shows up when creating a listing on dot com? I've been in contact with 2 US sellers recently that didn't even know what the program was, that they were enrolled and the procedure to turn it off. Once I explained the grief this program causes for Canadian buyers they could see the definite short comings and why it causes so much frustration. (Thinking out loud...If only the clapper worked for the annoying eBay features!!)

This opting sellers into programs without their consent is WRONG. GSP does not work for every type of item and especially lower value. It also doesn't help that the list of products that are not supposed to be sold within GSP is extremely long and many seller do not appear to know which ones they are.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

This is not regarding this Canadian account as stated in our original post. We specifically mentioned our other USA dot com account with a USA address.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

20200503_191732c.jpg

We cant get a screenshot of it anymore however we used paint to show where it was is red.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

20200503_191626d.jpg

Here is the master setting in: seller account/site preferences/shipping preferences. This will only be there in a real American dot com account with a USA address.

To get it to display "enrolled" we would have to enroll again and spend another 7 hours getting rid of it one listing at a time. Not happening.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@maximus7001 

Thanks for the screenshots. I was able to find a short time ago a blurb about removing GSP from a listing as required. I can no longer find that specific information. It really shouldn't be something that is that difficult to do. Hopefully you get some follow up as to why this happened to your listings. Automagically should not be the new normal.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

This opting sellers into programs without their consent is WRONG. GSP does not work for every type of item and especially lower value. It also doesn't help that the list of products that are not supposed to be sold within GSP is extremely long and many seller do not appear to know which ones they are.

A possible interpretation of the international selling section of the March update of the  .com user agreement is that sellers are defaulted into the GSP and have to opt out of it themselves.  Emphasis is mine:

One of the ways that we may make eBay.com listings available to international buyers on eBay.com and on eBay's international sites is through the Global Shipping Program.  For eligible items located in the United States and purchased by an international buyer through the Global Shipping Program, you (as seller) will simply ship the item to a parcel processing facility located in the United States after receiving notification of payment from the buyer. Pitney Bowes Inc., a third-party global shipping provider, will oversee the processing, customs clearance, and international shipment of the item on behalf of your international buyer. To the extent a buyer has a question about your Global Shipping Program listings, eBay may respond directly to the buyer if the question pertains to the services overseen by Pitney Bowes Inc. (for example, customs or international shipping). Sellers pay no additional fees for selling through the Global Shipping Program.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/user-agreement?id=4259#8

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@maximus7001 wrote:

This is not regarding this Canadian account as stated in our original post. We specifically mentioned our other USA dot com account with a USA address.

Are you shipping out of that US address?  Were you offering international shipping under your own steam out of that account?

If your answers to those questions are "yes" and "no" then the Global Shipping Program was likely set as a default by eBay as per the user agreement.

If your answers to those questions are "no" and "yes" then this is a glitch.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@marnotom! 

Correct me if I am wrong, from a sellers perspective they are only paying FVF's on shipping to PB vs the rest of the way to the customer. If that is the case they would be saving big time on FVF's on shipping vs a Canadian seller. Fine and dandy. It still overlooks the amount of grief it causes for the buyer. Unfortunately "tough noogies" really doesn't cut it.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I learned earlier today that another ID (Canadian registry) had Free Shipping enabled for every International item.

Which cost me $12.73 in shipping International Small Packet on a $12.99 sale to France. Poot.

But.

I was able to go to my Active Listings and revise in bulk to change the International Shipping rate and the Custom Destinations.

It took four passes, because I list on both dotCOM and dotCA and because I didn't notice I could do all of them at once .

Is the GSP on the list of things that can be changed by bulk revisions?

Selling-> Active Listings->Manage Active Listings-> Edit-> Edit all XXX listings

Processing Listings-> Select All-> ??? Possibly Service-> Global Shipping Service???

Partly based on experience, partly guesswork.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

You’re not wrong, a gsp seller is paying fvf just on the domestic portion of shipping. But so are you. When you have an international sale the fvf is on domestic shipping to your location.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply