high shipping rates

pelo-5121
Community Member

ridiculously high shipping fees have turned me off of buying on here. will ebay get itb right? or continue to lose customers.?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

high shipping rates

And what do you consider to be "ridiculously high"  ??

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

eBay doesn't ship anything.....

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

"And what do you consider to be "ridiculously high"  ??"

How many examples would you like?

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

@mcrlmn wrote:

"And what do you consider to be "ridiculously high"  ??"

How many examples would you like?

I asking the original poster what their value for "ridiculously high" was.

The majority of listings I see on ebay are reasonable for shipping cost.

But perhaps that's because I always search for stuff based on price+shipping to find the stuff worth buying. The total cost is what matters when it comes to price comparing.

-..-

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

This thread appears to be a post and run, a rant to start off the month ....

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

Buying from eBay US & Canadian Sellers:

I totally get where  @pelo-5121 and many other buyers are coming from on this concern. I deal with it constantly looking for anything super specific. In the past, US sellers offered a selection of services for shipping. Now because of eBay policies, selling fees and problems with deliveries either arriving slowly or not at all, sellers have really no choice but to only offer tracked/premium services. As Canadian sellers, we all know what a conundrum this is. 20.00 to ship a 10.00 item across Canada. Most Canadian sellers selling this's and that's are unable to use letter service in Canada as an option. As for Small Packet US Air, it only gets tracked some of the time but not 100% guaranteed. This makes it super expensive to ship anything Internationally because International tracked being the most economical service available. And we all know how much this can be if it happens to be something with a bit of weight. You can have the biggest cookie jar but it empties fast when items don't arrive with the untracked services.

If you go to purchase something from the USA very few sellers offer regular USPS services (on average), this leaves the vast majority of US sellers using either GSP which is super expensive for low price items and slow(especially if someone requires something fast) or the alternative USA Send/eBay International Standard Delivery which "can" cause customs processing/duties & taxes charges and risk another courier being involved, with an end effect of very unreliable delivery. Lesser of 2 evils doesn't really make either of them any better.

Several years ago I had no problem finding US sellers with reasonable, economical shipping options. Now those are few and far between. It's very frustrating when you see the vast majority of US sellers offering free shipping to other US customers...A) Because they have the options to choose from but then refuse pass any of the savings they qualify for to International buyers. Go to the US link International Standard Delivery and first thing you see is a 14 % discount for shipping to Canada. Does a Canadian buyer see any part of that discount? Maybe, but probably not. As a Canadian seller, anything I can do reduce shipping costs to a buyer increases my chance at getting the sale so I pass on the savings whenever I can. (Remember, US sellers have lots of choices when it comes to bypassing USPS to get discounted rates.) Something that is no longer offered by eBay to Canadian sellers. (Stamps, Parcel Monkey and guessing Shippo for examples, all which offer assorted discounts directly to US eBay sellers.)

If a Canadian buyer is looking for something specific and they can't locate it in Canada, their only alternative is the slightly closer US seller and then try meander through mish mash of shipping options to find something that will work for them.  Definitely not an easy task.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

The OP has said nothing about purchasing from the US, Lotz. (Or anywhere else, for that matter.) I don’t think it’s worth spending time addressing this rant without more elaboration from them.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

you are a new e-bayer with no feedback's, what do you know about e-bay and shipping fees?

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

@pelo-5121 

Well here are two sites that will help you decide if your seller is moving part of his item value to shipping (or vice versa).

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e2s1

I use K1A 0A6 (Parliament Buildings in Ottawa) as a useful postal code.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

I use 90210 as a useful zipcode.

Tracked postal  shipping is remarkably high as you can see.

The Global Shipping Program adds the cost of Canadian duty and sales taxes to the actual shipping cost from the USA or the UK.

I also sell on AZ.  The books I sell here with "Free" shipping, AZ insists that I charge $6.49 to my customers as a flat rate shipping cost.  In spite of this about 1/3 of my titles are the lowest cost on AZ.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

With any luck the change from a $20 to a $150 duty free allowance for US manufactured goods will reduce the screams of dismay from users of the GSP.

Until then, we can only repeat "The GSP is a Seller Protection service."

Of course many of those "low priced goods" are not in fact manufactured in a nation with a Free Trade agreement with Canada, and we can look forward to many more years of complaints and pouting.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

... well-played mate!! You hooked a few

with your "Rant & Dash"!!

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

@pelo-5121 wrote:

ridiculously high shipping fees have turned me off of buying on here. will ebay get itb right? or continue to lose customers.?

For a Canadian, you are ranting on the wrong site regarding shipping fees.

Please go on the CANADA POST website and rant there for a while.

CANADA POST sets the cost of shipping by mail. 

If you are concerned about courier rates for shipping go on the Purolator or Fedex or USPS websites and rant there. They are the ones who set the cost of courier shipping.

We use Canada Post for 99% of our shipping.  We charge actual shipping for all of our shipments.  We have no control over what Canada Post charges. 

So Go Rant on those websites.  If you can get any of them to lower their rates, I'm sure EVERYONE - sellers and buyers will be grateful!

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

...and you forgot to say if you cannot afford the "Shipping" go buy it locally, if you can for less!

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

They could have another account. A lot of people (usually sellers) create an account just for posting on the forums instead of using the one they use for buying and\or selling.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

So true....l sell things for about 10-15 bucks, and then the shipping via Canada post is 45 bucks. l get messaged from buyers; why is shipping so expensive, can l reduce it?....... Unlike big businesses who do get huge shipping discounts, sorry, not alot l can do. Buyers also fail to realize, we have to add shipping material costs, ebay’s markup on shipping, plus the cost of gas to run over to the mail office.
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

This si where Free Shipping comes in handy.

DON'T PANIC!

Free shipping just means adding the cost of shipping into the asking price for the product.

Which is cheaper? A $5 item with $10 shipping or a $15 item with Free Shipping.

If you took only a second to think-- that's why it works as a selling point.

Now, it's easy for me because most of my items can go LetterPost* and I never use Free Shipping for overseas shipping, but it does make the customer's "job" a tad easier.

It's harder to massage the numbers when you are shipping Parcel.

There are ways to reduce costs, including using PP /SnapShip/Shippo labels, which offer small discounts on some services. Or using postage stamps purchased here at a discount. 

And of course, if available, using a forwarder like chitchat or stallion to carry your items across the border to USPS for shipping.

BTW- Unless your packages are very large , if you print your labels at home, you can drop them into the nearest mailbox rather than bothering with the PO clerks.

The acceptance will be at the terminal not at the local PO of course.

*Letter also means No Tracking, so that needs consideration too.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

If there is a particular item that interests me and the price is right but the shipping is too high for me I move on. However if I am willing to put out the cash for shipping, even if I consider it too high, but I still want it, well that is the cost of doing business. It is your choice. Don't like it. move on.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

high shipping rates

$22 for a 2 oz item in a small envelope...
Message 19 of 19
latest reply