over charged shipping fees

gagfran
Community Member

I'm so mad right now. Now it's personnel. Why do UPS charge so much for shipping fees? It's crazy.. It doesn't make sense. An item cost $5.00 + $13.00 or more in shipping fees. ?? It's NUTS.. Crazy. I aint gonna buy anything soon from the USA. Thank you Mr. Trump for rejecting NAFTA, MONUMENTS AND OTHER TABOOS.! !

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Without knowing what the item or what the seller was charging it is impossible to know if you were overcharged but I do know that it has nothing to do with NAFTA or Trump. The mail service and couriers charge on weight and size of the item. They don't base the shipping cost on what you paid for the item itself. It is not cheap to ship internationally. It can be even more expensive shipping from Canada to the US.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

After nearly a decade and more than 5000 posts, eBay retired the UPS complaints thread, in favour of the GPS complaints thread.

Any import valued over $20 is subject to assessment by CBSA* for duty and Sales Tax. The shipper is allowed to charge a service

fee ** for handling this.

Duty isn't usually very much, but depends on the place of manufacture,not where the item was purchased.

Sales Tax is charged even when there is no duty. It can be up to 15% of the declared *** value.

Service fees range from the ~$5 for the GSP to Canada Post's $9.95 to the $25 and up charged by UPS and other couriers.

The duty and sales taxes go to the Canadian government.

*sometimes this is subcontracted to the courier.

** which goes by several different names, including 'customs brokerage fee'.

*** and some sellers foolishly will put the suggested retail as the value instead of the selling price, others will mark the item lower which can lead to very grumpy customs agents deciding on the actual value.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

It was that way before Trump rejected NAFTA.

I keep all my mail order buying from the U.S. under $20.

If I don't know the cost of S&H up front, I don't buy.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

He hasn't.

Discussions continue.

The grownups are dealing with the details. They just have to find the right (small) words to convince the toddler in chief that he likes broccoli. And it was his idea all along.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Oh please, don’t bring that guy into the discussion - if he finds out, it will become the biggest scandal facing the world today, and eBay will be put on notice.

To avoid all the cross-border nonsense, BUY CANADIAN.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply