private listing - bidders' identities protected

mcrlmn
Community Member

Wow, what a coincidence... 2 auctions by the same seller, both about to end, price keeps going up.

So far a total of 9 bids on each in 3 days.... all 'private listing - bidders' identities protected'.I was going to bid.Thanks but no thanks!Seeing far too much of this.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: private listing - bidders' identities protected

mcrlmn
Community Member
Quess what?.. Got out bid by 'private listing - bidders' identities protected'
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:
Quess what?.. Got out bid by 'private listing - bidders' identities protected'

Since that seller had those as a private listings, all bidders will show as 'private listing - bidders' identities protected', it isn't proof that there is something shady going on.

I admit though that I do wonder why sellers still feel the need to set up private listings since all buyers ids are masked anyway. If an auction is for an item of a personal nature, it makes a little more sense.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Hey I just got outbid on four items from China with my name being there but the private listing just outbid me until I quit

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

4 times in a row for me-what a rip off.
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

When a seller makes a listing private, all bidders will show up as  private listing - bidders' identities protected

You are the only one who can see your name so those other bidders could have been a number of different people.

If those people were willing to bid more than you, how is that a rip off?

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

the private listing just outbid me until I quit

Which is a good indication that there was a 'real' bidder with deeper pockets than you.

If you suspected a shill, the real tipoff would not be that there are other bidders, but that one shill bidder stops when he outbids you, and cancels all his bids.

Shill bidders don't want to win. They want you to win at the highest price you are willing to pay.

To outwit shilling, just bid once and bid your maximum. Most will also say to bid late.

You can also keep your information private even from the seller by using a 'sniping' service like esnipe.com. DH swears by it. He uses it in Australian auctions because they will make his (single maximum) bid at the last possible second and while he sleeps soundly here in Canada.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

all of them are sellers from india........fed up with this rip off.....

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Hello 'mccrlmn',

<<... all 'private listing - bidders' identities protected'>>

What you are seeing is a 'private listing', - set up that way by the seller.  No matter where you are on ebay

you can always see your own ID if you are signed in.  On a private listing everyone else is looks like the

mask you describe.

On a regular listing, all other bidders look like-   x...y (### star)

So that, too, is a very good blind, and certainly adequate to satisfy any privacy concerns.  You can read about

private listings here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/private.html

Even ebay does not recommend it, telling sellers "you should only make your listing private if you have a specific reason."

Whether you believe that "specific reason" is because the seller wants to shill up the auction, . . . . .

The best way to bid on any auction is to place the maximum you are willing to pay, - as late as possible.

If you can watch the count-down at the end of the auction and quickly enter your bid a few seconds before

it ends, that is called "sniping".  It is not only fun, it is often the best way to win the auction.

By all means, be a 'nibble bidder' if you like, -- many people have fun that way too.  But when you are truly 

serious, you may need to resort to sniping, or hire an online service to place your snipe for you.  That is usually

only for big-ticket items, however, as it costs money for the service.

Have a look at this link about bidding.  It very clearly explains how ebay's automatic bidding works:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/bidding-overview.html#incremental

It is, sadly, quite true that the seller may be shilling the auction.  Shilling, in spite of being officially against 

ebay policy, is rampant on ebay and nothing is ever done about it.  After all, you yourself would be hard pressed

to prove it, and the higher the shill the more money ebay makes.

Unless the item is 'stolen' and the seller seeks to off-load it as quickly as possible for whatever he can get,

the chief reason for shilling is the seller using a 99 cent start price when in fact she won't take less than, say,

50 bucks.  Or even 10 bucks.  Somewhere between the start and the end of the auction the seller goes to a

different computer and places the shill.  Sometimes they enjoy the game and will nibble you up, thinking they

are fooling you.

But the primary reason is that they do not want to give the item away to you for less than what they believe you

should be paying.  They will lose far less money if they win it themselves, cancel, and relist.

Here is the ebay policy about shilling:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/seller-shill-bidding.html#policy

The policy says " We thoroughly investigate every report we receive", which as any experienced bidder will

tell you, is just about the biggest laugh around.  Unless a seller is dumb enough to place the shill on the same

computer he lists the item (same ISP) there is not much ebay can do.  And with ebay's new member ID masking

policy it  makes it even easier for shillers to fool bidders, which will naturally increase accusations and reports of shilling.

It would be very expensive for ebay to do anything about it.  Besides, if ebay ever decided to rid the site of shillers

there would be hardly any sellers left on the site.

Thus, like everything else on ebay, to get the most of your experience you need to first help yourself.

Have a look at the bidding links I provided.  When you see an auction item you like, place your bid as late

as possible.

Be sure to factor in the shipping costs, plus any possible duties, taxes, and charges if you are buying out of the country.

And of course, if you are not happy about an auction, don't bid on it.  Even if you got the item, you would have

a rotten feeling every time you looked at it, and that's no fun at all.

Always use your own best judgement.  

Happy bidding!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

That OP is long gone but you know what? That answer should be pinned to a New Members Board! That was a really GREAT explanation. That deserves a "mondo kudo" 😄
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

How's that work? The service pays the seller for the buyer, or... then what?
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

There are many sniping services.

I use one called esnipe.

If interested in learning the ins and outs, here is a link.

http://www.esnipe.com/

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Thank You, snoopwiz!
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

" private listing - bidders' identities protected" why most from UK ??  

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I have had private setting for auctions on meds etc. There is nothing shady going on. You can not bid up the price because ebay cancel your selling privileges and I know this because a friend, sort of friend had two accounts and did bid up a price and had their bids removed and told by ebay next time they would cancel their selling privilege.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

" private listing - bidders' identities protected" why most from UK ??  

Because the item is hard to find in the UK?

Coincidence?

I once had two sales to Liechtenstein, two different cities, in one week. Never had one before and never had another to that country.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Very interesting. Thanks!
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Its a rip off cause it promote schill bidding there identities was protected before but at least you could see if you were getting a fair deal
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

If you have never been to a local auction ..... do go a find out how it works. Close your eyes, and visualize how it will show on eBay.

After 30  and more years of going to local auctions...... one can hear what is happening.

-------------------------------------

Shill bidding has to be done carefully on eBay ....  There was once a seller of antiques and collectables at a B & M location.  This  dealer also sold on eBay.  A computer was set up in his store  where people can bid on the items listed on eBay.

This eBay seller got into trouble because bids were coming from the same IP address as his eBay ID.  Seller was suspended by eBay.

---------------------------------------------

Then there was a seller of antique furniture on eBay UK.  It took several years to determine that his ex-wife was the shill bidder.   The ex-wife lived far from the seller...  Seller was suspended.

---------------------------------------------

There has also been a situation where bidders at several locations in the US were bidding on a new  computer system.... Bidding went quickly to over $1000, starting at $200.  Then came the action of the bidders  who withdrew bids less than $1000....  and just before the end of the bidding that high bid of $1000 was removed.   That $200 bid was the winner.....   but did they get the item at this price.

-------------------------------------

Strange bidding at a local auction can be determined.  One has to listen carefully.  Sometimes  you have to stand  and face the bidding crowd... with the same view as the auctioneer.

---------------------

Shill bidding on eBay can be determined... but it may take several sales to follow who has bid and then stopped or withdrew bids...  for many sales.

Bidders can be tracked by way of an IP address

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

With auctions must be most careful with the starting price..... and also  when the sale is set up to proceed... what time of the year  and at what time of the day an auction will end. 

When auctions  were the only option on eBay....For me auctions started at 8:30 PM Winnipeg time...  on Monday...  That was 10:30 PM on the east coast and 6:30 PM on the west coast of North America.

-----------------------------------

Many years ago before fixed price was on eBay, a seller set up an auction with a reserve price.

Auction did not sell because the reserve price was not reached  and seller did not make a second chance offer.

The item was put up for a second auction....  A most interesting situation,  because nobody bid on this second listing.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply