seller dispute

anddev_78
Community Member

I ordered an item from someone who charged me her fee for paypal. I didn't know about this extra charge till I received my credit card bill. I sent her a msg about the extra charge & she admitted to me that she charged me for her fee.  I don't have paypal & couldn't even complain till I registered. They said she gets charged a fee for seller protection & should not be passed on thru an increase in the sale after completion.  I went to send my feedback on her page for my item & she has her feedback set to private, which is a red flag. I'm new on ebay & this has caused me frustration.  Can anybody help me find a way to report her?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

seller dispute

if they have raised the price, since you have bought it, ask them to cancel your transaction..

A seller can't add extra charges after the sale, that is just reality, because all seller's pay fee's on the item price and shipping..

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

seller dispute

Shipping was free.  There were no additional charges stated. I contacted paypal about this fee & they said sellers are not supposed to charge buyers for their fee.  I also bought from sellers before who uses paypal & they never charged me extra. I never had this issue before.  The amount that shows up on my invoice after I paid, is the amount I'm supposed to pay.  It's always been that way.   She admitted to me that there was a paypal charge for buying her item. I have a screenshot of my invoice but I can't find someone to send it to. As for private feedback.  Are you sure they don't sell anymore?  She must've stopped selling after she sold her item to me then, if that's the case. 

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

seller dispute

anddev_78
Community Member

How can you report someone who charges buyers for their pay pal fee? Is it illegal for this false charge?  I already contacted Pay Pal but didn't hear back from them yet.  This seller needs to be stopped.  People need to know this.  I tried to send feedback but she has that set on private so nobody can read her feedback. I'm new to ebay & this has been a poor experience for me.   Lesson learned.  Can anybody help?  Am I allowed to send out her ebay name that she goes by so people will know to beware of her?  Any suggestions please.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

seller dispute

if they have raised the price, since you have bought it, ask them to cancel your transaction..

A seller can't add extra charges after the sale, that is just reality, because all seller's pay fee's on the item price and shipping..

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

seller dispute

I can't figure out how she charged you , and collected .

When eBay sends an invoice it has the selling price plus the advertised shipping fee.

If a seller is registered to collect sales taxes, that may also appear.

Could you send a screenshot of the Paypal invoice you received?

I'm wondering if you were somehow persuaded to move the sale "off eBay" and she added the charge to the invoice there. PP is used by many sales sites, not just eBay, so it does have some flexibility.

Or is the "paypal fee" actually described as a Handling Fee?

Those are allowed but usually are there to cover packaging costs. I suppose the term is loose enough to cover something like 3rd party insurance or even PP fees, but I'm pretty sure those are not allowed by eBay. They are supposed to be included in the selling or shipping price.

she has her feedback set to private,

This means she is no longer selling, since sellers cannot have Private Feedback, only buyers.

You can still leave feedback, it just won't show. But feedback doesn't affect eBay's measures of member accounts anyway.

Can anybody help me find a way to report her?

You can phone the Security Centre at the bottom of this page.

Or you could open a Not As Described dispute in the Resolution Centre, the NAD being the extra unmentioned charge.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

seller dispute

BTW - the Paypal fee is 30 cents plus 2.9% for domestic sales or 4.4% for foreign sales.

This includes your payment for shipping.

Is the amount you were charged roughly equivalent to one of those? Keep foreign exchange in mind if you are not in the same country.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

seller dispute

Shipping was free.  There were no additional charges stated. I contacted paypal about this fee & they said sellers are not supposed to charge buyers for their fee.  I also bought from sellers before who uses paypal & they never charged me extra. I never had this issue before.  The amount that shows up on my invoice after I paid, is the amount I'm supposed to pay.  It's always been that way.   She admitted to me that there was a paypal charge for buying her item. I have a screenshot of my invoice but I can't find someone to send it to. As for private feedback.  Are you sure they don't sell anymore?  She must've stopped selling after she sold her item to me then, if that's the case. 

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

seller dispute

It's already on it's way, supposedly, so I'm afraid it's too late for that.  She admitted to me that she charged me for her fee from her paypal.  Someone had mentioned that sellers can't have a private feedback section, therefore, that person must not be selling anymore.  Unless she changed her acct as someone else.  Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate it.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

seller dispute

. I have a screenshot of my invoice but I can't find someone to send it to.

I'm a technodolt, but if you post it here (the camera icon on the Reply box?) we can see if you are misinterpreting something-- or at least how she managed to charge you her fees.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

seller dispute

I kept all my info, screenshots, messages sent to me to prove I've been ripped off. She admitted to me that she charged me for her paypal.  I don't have paypal & know nothing about it. I opened up a paypal acct so I can contact someone to report this issue, but they were no help to me.   Thanks for your help.  By the time I get this resolved, if I do, it'll probably be too late.  I can't always get on a computer & I'm always working.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply