shipping

why does Ebay not require the sellers to state on their listings on the home page that they do not ship to PO boxs?it's very frustrating having to go thru and find a seller that ships to PO box.i live in a rural area and it's my only option. thanks rant over.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

shipping

marnotom!
Community Member
What do you mean by “listings on the home page”? Most sellers should state in the “shipping” part of the listing that they do not ship to PO boxes. It saves them the trouble of canceling and relisting.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

shipping

why does Ebay not require the sellers to state on their listings on the home page that they do not ship to PO boxs?i

EBay does allow sellers to Block some domestic US addresses. But the three I've noticed are Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico (off the mainland, with high shipping rates)  and APO (military) addresses.

But there is no such Block on PO boxes.

It's a sign that your seller copied his Terms of Sale from a much older listing, probably by a US seller who shipped using a courier like UPS.

This should be taken as a warning that the seller is not paying attention to current online practices.

The reason back in the 20th century that some US sellers used couriers was that the couriers would pickup packages for their customers.

And couriers could not deliver to USPS post offices, especially since the posties would /could not sign for packages.

Now throw in the normal American state of paranoia.

Since then, USPS  and Canada Post both have instituted home pickups, and couriers can in some circumstances, deliver to PO boxes.
PO boxes are the safest address an online seller can have. Either the buyer has a key, or she has to show her Notice to the mailclerk and show ID to get her parcel.

Community mailboxes are not as secure, since posties can make mistakes and put the key to the parcel box in the wrong box all too often.

Here's a workaround.

Instead of

Jordon3302

PO Box 123

Main St Post Office

Prairie Centre SK

Use

Jordon3302

456 Main St  - Unit 123

Prairie Centre SK

I sometime google the addresses of my customers, because I am bored and nosy, and it was remarkable how many "apartment" addresses were in strip malls with no housing but with a post office, or even in standalone PO buildings.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

shipping

Yes there is an option to block PO Boxes in Exclude Shipping Locations for countries. On eBay.ca I just checked. On ebay.com too along with other restrictions.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

shipping

Good to know.

But from a buyer's point of view, easy to avoid.

Use the post offices street address and call your "box" an "apartment".

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

shipping

@jordon3302, the "PO Boxes Exclusion" is shown in sellers' listings but unfortunately buyers need to click on the "See Exclusions" link to see that.

I learned that this week when notified I was the successful bidder on an item sold by an ON seller who only ships to Canada.   My attempt to pay for the item generated an ebay error message stating the seller does not ship to PO Boxes.

I thought of contacting the seller, but decided it was easier to temporarily change the delivery address to our street address, pay for the purchase, then change my default delivery address back to the FlexDelivery address I use for almost all on-line purchases.

In your case I thought of suggesting "General Delivery"  but @reallynicestamps' suggestion to show your box number as an "apartment" number is superior since smaller items could be put in your mailbox for pickup outside of PO operating hours.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

shipping

I think I have had some FlexDelivery shipments- going by a loooooonnnnng number appearing in the middle of the address.

It doesn't actually get called a PO Box though, as I recall.
Maybe the AI who set up the refusal system is smarter than we think.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

shipping

Canada Post flex address format is:

address line 1:  PO Box 99900 (followed by an 8 character ID)

address line 2: the post office or retail outlet the address is associated with

www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/kb/receiving/mail-delivery/how-to-use-your-flexdeliver...

-;-

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

shipping

i`m saying it should state on the buy sell home page . instead of clicking on something then going to the shipping page only to find they don`t ship to po boxes. but thanks anyway

Message 9 of 9
latest reply