Item cant be shipped to Canada, but not returned to Seller

jrowell
Community Member

A package containing an antique oil painting was shipped to Canada from the U.S. via the international shipping program. After several weeks I received a notice that the item could not be imported to Canada (no reason given) and had my money refunded. The seller received a similar notice stating "you get to keep the sale" but no further informaiton. Since that time a month has gone by and the seller has not received the painting back, and has received no further informaiton from eBay. I am unclear whether the painting will be returned to him or (god forbid) discarded... the fact that he gets "to keep the sale" suggests to me that it is not going to be returned to him. Can anyone clarify what will happen in this case? Will he eventually have the painting returend to him so that I can purchase it again (and have it shipped to a U.S. address)? I have called eBay several times and nobody can provide me with any information on where the package currently is or what will happen to it.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

marnotom!
Community Member
You are correct. The seller cannot keep the money from the sale and also have the item returned to them.

The terms and conditions for eBay International Shipping that both parties agree to by using the service state that undeliverable items will have their title transferred to a third party and will
be disposed of or liquidated at the discretion of that third party.

https://pages.ebay.com/internationalshippingprogram/buyer/terms/

Whether something like a painting will end up on eBay again, another site, or a walk-in venue is anybody’s guess. Past examples of this with the Global Shipping Program (eBay’s former international forwarding service) suggest unforwardable but saleable items may end up getting listed on eBay by the third party or agent of the third party as items with US shipping only, so keep your eyes peeled and typing fingers ready. No guarantees, of course, unfortunately.

Good luck.