Who determines the import fees, ebay or the seller?

Basically I get an offer from a seller to buy an item at a cheaper price, and 90% of the time the import charges get doubled or more than doubled which makes the now cheaper item more expensive than the original listing, making the offer pointless.

Does the seller set the import charges or is that ebay? If its ebay it seems like something is screwing up with their system because it just doesnt make any sense. And I dont want to accept the offer to see if its just a glitch since if its not a glitch then im stuck paying more for the item. I added photos below:

original.jpgoffer.jpg

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

marnotom!
Community Member
You’ll also notice that there’s a slight drop in the shipping charge.

From what I’ve seen from posts similar to yours, it is and it isn’t a glitch associated with offers.

I don’t know where you’re located, but I’m guessing you’re in a province where GST (and possibly PST) is charged on purchases. When you view a listing and your location is set for your province, the import charges include a calculation for GST.

On the other hand, the “offer bot” calculates the import charges using a “worst case scenario” and includes a calculation for 15% HST.

You’ll see there’s a note with the offer that says that the import charges are an estimate. You get the charges finalized once Checkout confirms your location. The person who posted this thread claims they went through the motions and the import charges did get sorted out at Checkout:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Inconsistent-Import-Charges-with-GSP/m-p/420150

Answers (0)