***eBay Workshop: Keeping Safe Online, Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 5-6 PM ET***

carly@ebay.com
Community Member
With so many spoof and phishing emails out there, we will spend some time talking about how to recognize and report a spoof/phishing email.

We will also discuss the benefits of the eBay toolbar as a great way to stay safe on the internet. We’ll also show you what the toolbar does to protect you if you click on a link in a phishing email.

The new Security and Resolution Centre is coming to eBay.ca so we will give you a preview of what new information it features. Other topics we will cover are Live Help and how to report a problem to eBay.

HOST: eBay Staff Moira
DATE: Wednesday, December 15, 2004
TIME: 5:00-6:00 PM ET
PLACE: Canada Town Square

Hope you can Join us! Also, if you have specific questions but can't attend, you can leave them here in advance and we will be sure to answer them during the workshop.
Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: ***eBay Workshop: Keeping Safe Online, Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 5-6 PM ET***

moira@ebay.com
Community Member
Does anyone have any questions?
Its pretty quiet in here!

To use a phrase from my friend Weaversofspeech

Hi Lurkers!
Moira
Message 21 of 34
latest reply

Re: ***eBay Workshop: Keeping Safe Online, Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 5-6 PM ET***

moira@ebay.com
Community Member
For eBay listings, here are a couple quick steps to knowing thy seller:

1) Check their feedback - have they sold before?

2) How long have they been on eBay?

3) Does the listing tell you to contact them by email and list the email in the item description, stating that there is some reason their eBay email doesn't work? That's a bad sign.

4) Are they listed as registered in Canada but they want you to send a wire transfer to another country? That doesn't sound right, does it?

5) Are they insisting on being paid by Western Union money transfer or money gram?

6) Do they insist on you paying via an escrow company other than Escrow.com?

7) Did they contact you via the Contact eBay Member email forwarding system and say it was a "second chance offer" and their bidder backed out? Second chance offers show up in your My eBay - go in there to verify it was a real offer and not someone trolling the site.

8) Do they offer to do the transaction off-eBay for less money or do they promise you the item if you go off-eBay and just pay them via Western Union wire transfer? Please be aware that you will not be covered by the eBay and PayPal protection plans if the item does not end on the eBay platform and the transaction goes bad.

I'm not trying to worry people, just make you stronger online users. Remember, the number of frauds on eBay is very very small. We have teams of people working around the clock to keep bad listings and bad sellers off the site. We also have people who monitor accounts to see if they have been taken over. We work with law enforcement to get the bad guys in jail. We educate new users on how to stay safe online and most of all we have a community of users who keep each other safe by posting tips, helping each other identify fake emails, and reporting suspicious behaviour and spoof sites to us. This is our best asset, in my opinion.

I would like to thank you for your time and your attention. Happy (and safe) shopping folks!!!

Moira
Message 22 of 34
latest reply

moira@ebay.com
Community Member
This concludes the workshop for today. If you have any questions, please post them here and I will answer them in the next day or two.

Thanks for reading!
Moira

Bookmark the Security Centre today!
Message 23 of 34
latest reply

pukmis
Community Member
Thanks for all the info Moira...will you be leaving this locked
up here for awhile???
I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.
- Augusten Burroughs
Message 24 of 34
latest reply

able-wizard1957
Community Member
No questions here, Moira, just a thank you for all the info in one place.

Steph
Message 25 of 34
latest reply

ohwhisht
Community Member
Thanks, Moira
Message 26 of 34
latest reply

Geez, I keep missing these things. Fantastic and helpful info, though - thanks Moira!
Photobucket
Message 27 of 34
latest reply

A very good job Moira!!!!!

Elaine
TimelessClassicElegance
View Elaine Serafini's profile on LinkedIn
Message 28 of 34
latest reply

***niko***
Community Member
That stuff about the spyware is scary. I am having a problem with spyware that I can't get rid of and it only appears when I try to go to either the ebay homepage or my ebay summary.
Message 29 of 34
latest reply

moira@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi Niko,

Have you run an updated version of your virus software? I am concerned that something has happened to your pc and that you may have a recurring virus. I had one on my home pc that hid itself in the registry so it would keep coming back after I had run the virus software. Use the spyware or run the virus protection program and find the name of the virus. You can do a Google search to find web sites with information on what that virus does and where it lives. Just use one that is reputable to get your information. I'm sure some folks here would be able to point you to a good website for this.

Kind regards,
Moira
Message 30 of 34
latest reply

bayvroom
Community Member
Moira, you are a guardian, angel! Culled, clean, and locked! Great work. Thanks for all the attention and patience. Much appreciated.
Message 31 of 34
latest reply

it_techie
Community Member
Can I add a few bits of advice

Part of my job does involve dealing with Techie probs which can include the odd forceful hacking of an account.

Well I have to say in most cases it is very easy. Just take a look around someones desk, or get to know a bit about them, then it is quite easy to guess their password.

Don't choose a password that contains:
*Your date of birth
*Favourite sports team
*Dream car
*Current car
*Best friends name
*Your kiddies names
*Your username
*Favourite Actor/Actress
*Favourite Singer
*Anything to do with your religion.

Adding a few numbers into the password also makes it more difficult to crack.

And maybe if you can cope with it - Change the case of a few letters.

Finally if you work in an office don't write your password down next to the computer.

Maybe I might write a few more things tomorrow
Message 32 of 34
latest reply

tacklehockshop
Community Member
I installed the tool bar - does it not work with mozilla? I open windows IE and its there, what do I do?
Message 33 of 34
latest reply

cutecoins
Community Member
This comment got me thinking..."B. Red - When the Account Guard tab is red, you are on a known spoof/phishing Web site. " If this is known why are we not reporting the known site and having them charged with fraud? I thought that when I reported a rip off to Ebay ...thats what Ebay does with known rip off sites...Report the offender to the police so they can lay charges! Is it time we collectively got the Canadian Government to make laws to protect us? The police will do everything they will do to stop theft and crime but what is being done under the law to stop these criminals...the last time I looked in the Criminal Code
theft was still a criminal offence!
Message 34 of 34
latest reply