Canadian Sales Taxes - Questions

Hi everyone –

We know you might have questions regarding the email you recently received about eBay Canada collecting Canada Sales Tax (GST/HST/QST/ PST) on behalf of our sellers. Please feel free to leave your questions and comments here and we’ll get them answered as soon as possible. Keep in mind there could be a delay as we check with internal teams to ensure we’re getting you the right answers to your questions.

Thanks for your patience!

Message 1 of 281
latest reply
280 REPLIES 280

Re: Canada Sales Tax Questions

Ok, so here's what I'm struggling with. "Value-added tax" (or Goods and services tax/GST/HST as we know it in Canada) at essence, is supposed to be applied when some kind of value has been added to a product. When we are selling a pair of used shoes on eBay, we have already paid the sales tax when we originally bought them new. That tax represents the "value-added" by the manufacturer, taking the raw materials and turning them into a pair of new shoes. When we use those brand new shoes, and eventually sell them in a "used" condition, we have not added any kind of value to those shoes, in fact the value of those shoes has decreased, so what is there to be taxed. If the answer is "well its because you sold them on the internet", then what is the point of us paying hst on our ebay fees? The "value-added" in the transaction is the ability to sell on the internet, which is why we are taxed on our ebay fees. Do I like it? No, but it is what it is. Used goods however have not had any value added to them that would require being taxed. Now, if we sold a rare item that had increased in value compared to its original purchase price, then that would be income tax we should be paying on it's value increase, not hst, as we have not added any value to it compared to when it was first purchased and hst paid. The value increase is strictly speculation, numbers, etc, not anything the seller has done to it. If we are charging hst on products sold in pre-owned condition because their value has raised due to rarity/speculation/etc then why are we not being charged hst on the purchase of a share in a company's stock? We get charged a convenience fee and sometimes tax on top of that (like ebay), but if I buy $100 worth of stock in Apple, I'm not getting charged 13% hst on that purchase. If the seller has added value to the goods (modifications, changes, repair, etc...), then more often than not they are already a business anyways. "Cleaning your pair of old shoes" is not adding value to them, as the original value is from when they were first purchased.

Sorry but not sorry for the rant. If you are a business or making over $30,000 then okay yeah you'll have to charge and remit hst because you are buying and selling, but Gladys from across the street should not have to pay 13% hst when she buys my old golf clubs, because I already paid that tax when I bought them new, and I have not modified or added any value to them.

Interesting read if you have the time: https://worthwhile.typepad.com/worthwhile_canadian_initi/2011/05/why-is-there-hst-on-used-cars.html

Maybe I'm misguided, but I feel quite strongly about this so please forgive my massive paragraph of words. I am open to criticism/corrections if you have any please share, discord amongst us is how we can understand this better.

Thanks.

Message 21 of 281
latest reply

They have to try to make it sound good because “we’re gonna take 13% of your profits away” doesn’t sound as good and might scare some people lol
Message 22 of 281
latest reply

I think you worded that perfectly! I am in agreement, for previously used items you summed it all up! I don't think anyone would charge tax at a garage sale, used is used! But as per usual, nothing we can do about it. 😣

Message 23 of 281
latest reply

Right now your only paying hst on the fees eBay charges you (basically they taking money from you to pay the government taxes on the money they make) now they will charge it on the full amount of the sale. Which means customer will pay way more to buy your product; so you’ll have to lower your price to compete. And you’ll pay a bigger fee because they’ll include HST for the full purchase price. This is devastating for small sellers like you and I.
Message 24 of 281
latest reply

@3dprinting.agency 

We're training new eBay reps.

They are based in the States and sometimes are not aware of nuance.

Message 25 of 281
latest reply

This is really bad for small sellers like me. No way to put a positive spin on this despite your email. There is no requirement to remit HST for people making under 30k. So my question is what trouble are you saving me exactly?
Message 26 of 281
latest reply

velvet@ebay  Since both you and jasmen@ebay  are currently assigned to the Canada Boards, should we plan to pelt you specifically with sales tax questions?

Or nag both of you indiscriminately?

With 10 provinces and three territories, plus at least three forms of sales tax in play, to say nothing of those ITC credits, it might be best if one of you takes on this important topic.

Ghu help you.

Message 27 of 281
latest reply

@bigpsycho00 

The BUYER pays sales tax.

The seller does not pay sales tax.

Just like buying a pair of socks at The Bay.

But on eBay the Seller will be charged FVF on the ENTIRE amount of the buyer's payment, which will include the sales taxes, just as sellers do now with US sales.

Message 28 of 281
latest reply

we have not added any kind of value to those shoes, in fact the value of those shoes has decreased, so what is there to be taxed.

The shoes are not being taxed.

The SALE is being taxed.

The value added is making the shoes available for purchase.

Message 29 of 281
latest reply

@canada_goose_whisperer wrote:

Ok, so here's what I'm struggling with. "Value-added tax" (or Goods and services tax/GST/HST as we know it in Canada) at essence, is supposed to be applied when some kind of value has been added to a product. When we are selling a pair of used shoes on eBay, we have already paid the sales tax when we originally bought them new. That tax represents the "value-added" by the manufacturer, taking the raw materials and turning them into a pair of new shoes. When we use those brand new shoes, and eventually sell them in a "used" condition, we have not added any kind of value to those shoes, in fact the value of those shoes has decreased, so what is there to be taxed. If the answer is "well its because you sold them on the internet", then what is the point of us paying hst on our ebay fees? The "value-added" in the transaction is the ability to sell on the internet, which is why we are taxed on our ebay fees. Do I like it? No, but it is what it is. Used goods however have not had any value added to them that would require being taxed. Now, if we sold a rare item that had increased in value compared to its original purchase price, then that would be income tax we should be paying on it's value increase, not hst, as we have not added any value to it compared to when it was first purchased and hst paid. The value increase is strictly speculation, numbers, etc, not anything the seller has done to it. If we are charging hst on products sold in pre-owned condition because their value has raised due to rarity/speculation/etc then why are we not being charged hst on the purchase of a share in a company's stock? We get charged a convenience fee and sometimes tax on top of that (like ebay), but if I buy $100 worth of stock in Apple, I'm not getting charged 13% hst on that purchase. If the seller has added value to the goods (modifications, changes, repair, etc...), then more often than not they are already a business anyways. "Cleaning your pair of old shoes" is not adding value to them, as the original value is from when they were first purchased.

Sorry but not sorry for the rant. If you are a business or making over $30,000 then okay yeah you'll have to charge and remit hst because you are buying and selling, but Gladys from across the street should not have to pay 13% hst when she buys my old golf clubs, because I already paid that tax when I bought them new, and I have not modified or added any value to them.

Interesting read if you have the time: https://worthwhile.typepad.com/worthwhile_canadian_initi/2011/05/why-is-there-hst-on-used-cars.html

Maybe I'm misguided, but I feel quite strongly about this so please forgive my massive paragraph of words. I am open to criticism/corrections if you have any please share, discord amongst us is how we can understand this better.

Thanks.

Furthermore, the government doesn't require hst collecting and remittance on $30,000 or less per year. Even assuming this is because it's too costly and not worth it for the government to process hst amounts that low, then okay fine ebay offers an easy way for the government to collect on those small amounts, so they're going to use it.

But that still doesn't mean they should be collecting hst on USED goods sold online, as (like I said above) no value has been added to them, if anything it has decreased in value. The hst was already paid when the item was purchased new. The only way this actually makes sense is if ebay gives an option for the seller to click a box stating that the item has been "modified or changed in a way that adds value compared to what it was in new condition". If hst is being collected on everything regardless then that's flat out wrong.

Further furthermore, even NEW goods, if they've already been bought from the store (for example, you bought a movie that you never got around to opening and watching) that still should not be subject to hst because you paid it WHEN YOU ORIGINALLY BOUGHT THE ITEM. Selling a "new condition" good does no mean it should require hst collection, if no value or change has been added to it. The hst should be just on the ebay fees we pay that allow us to use the platform to sell old stuff from our house, as that is where the value is being added - ACCESSIBILITY. NOT ON THE ACTUAL PRODUCT.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

-----

Edit: A reply to your post can be found  here

Message 30 of 281
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

we have not added any kind of value to those shoes, in fact the value of those shoes has decreased, so what is there to be taxed.

The shoes are not being taxed.

The SALE is being taxed.

The value added is making the shoes available for purchase.

Exactly, but we are making the shoes available for purchase through eBay. Ebay is the product/service that makes the shoes available to others on the internet, and we pay hst on that ability to do so (hst on ebay fees). The value added is accessibility, which is what ebay provides. We as sellers don't provide the accessibility because we do not own or maintain the platform to which eBay offers, we are merely users of it. That is why when you create an eBay account, you sign up as an "individual". You are an individual on the ebay platform using the ebay service, you are not providing a service to eBay or the buyer - you are selling a product.

Edited to add: If I'm selling on facebook marketplace, aside from the fact its usually cash anyways, I'm just selling to people local to me. Still on the internet, but local to me. I could even post a note on the local bulletin board about what I'm selling, and leave my number for someone to call me. They have to come to me to pickup the item I am selling at my home. The difference with eBay is that now they are offering a greater customer base to sell yours used goods to - they are offering a service by allowing you to sell to a wider range of people than if you were to go door to door knocking and asking if neighbours want to buy something. And hst is charged on that service eBay provides, in the form of taxes on ebay fees. Once again I don't like it, but I can deal with it. This however, I can not.

Message 31 of 281
latest reply

Thanks.

Furthermore, the government doesn't require hst collecting and remittance on $30,000 or less per year. Even assuming this is because it's too costly and not worth it for the government to process hst amounts that low, then okay fine ebay offers an easy way for the government to collect on those small amounts, so they're going to use it.

But that still doesn't mean they should be collecting hst on USED goods sold online, as (like I said above) no value has been added to them, if anything it has decreased in value. The hst was already paid when the item was purchased new. The only way this actually makes sense is if ebay gives an option for the seller to click a box stating that the item has been "modified or changed in a way that adds value compared to what it was in new condition". If hst is being collected on everything regardless then that's flat out wrong.

Further furthermore, even NEW goods, if they've already been bought from the store (for example, you bought a movie that you never got around to opening and watching) that still should not be subject to hst because you paid it WHEN YOU ORIGINALLY BOUGHT THE ITEM. Selling a "new condition" good does no mean it should require hst collection, if no value or change has been added to it. The hst should be just on the ebay fees we pay that allow us to use the platform to sell old stuff from our house, as that is where the value is being added - ACCESSIBILITY. NOT ON THE ACTUAL PRODUCT.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

There "used to be" (not sure of current rules per province) for having yard sales and doing flea markets. A certain quantity you were okay. Over the limit you had to be registered and collect ta because you were a business. Like said, why should have to collect tax when I sell a coffee cup to Fred down the street for 50 cents. I get rid of a cup...He gets a new cup for his collection. Doesn't end in landfill. So much to the old premise of KISS for selling stuff!!! I feel like I've fallen on my bureaucracy and I can't get up!!! 

-Lotz

Message 32 of 281
latest reply

Same as was mentioned before, since we don't actually get the tax, how does this effect our Sales Tax Paperwork?  

If I collect $1000 in taxes I can use that to offset what I paid in taxes on the raw goods I purchased.

If Ebay collects the $1000 in taxes, what does that do to offset the taxes I paid for the product?  Is the govt going to match the difference?  If so who reports first?

I have only been collecting sales tax for 2 years and now that I have finally (sort of) figured out what is going on, this is going to create some serious changes on my end.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 33 of 281
latest reply

lga4-24
Community Member

If I am a registered GST/HST seller in Ontario, Canada. I ship all my products from Ontario, Canada warehouse. For example on Ontairo purchases I charge buyers 13% HST tax but, Quebec buyers I charge GST only of 5%, and BC I charge 5% GST, and so on. I don't have PST and QST accounts.

My questions:
1. Since July 1, 2022 will ebay start adding 9.975% QST tax on orders to Quebec on top of 5% GST I charge customers? (I don't have QST account, I charge GST/HST only).

If  the anaswer is 'YES', so I would have to submit the GST/HST taxes to CRA while Ebay submits the QST portion? 

2. What about provinces that have PST of 7% like BC and Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. I charge 5% GST tax on BC, Manitoba and Sask orders. Will ebay start charging PST on my behalf and report direct to CRA?
I don't have PST account.

I am sure the reponse will be helpful to sellers from Ontairo that only have GST/HST account with CRA, but ship across Canada.

-----

Edit: A reply to your questions can be found here.

Message 34 of 281
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

I'm reposting this question from a poster on another thread

The question is from @jimmymoto!

In the current (old) system, sellers apparently have no way to accomodate resellers like myself who have a PST exemption, therefore I have to pay PST unnecessarily on many items I purchase on eBay that I sell in my retail store.

BACKGROUND: Businesses registered to collect PST are exempt from paying PST on items made available for resale, as PST is supposed to only be collected once by the final retailer and not at every step in the supply chain.

Does this new change enable eBay to provide PST exemptions, and if so where do I  submit my PST registration documentation?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 35 of 281
latest reply

But that still doesn't mean they should be collecting hst on USED goods sold online, as (like I said above) no value has been added to them,

EBay enabled you to turn your old shoes into money.

You bought the service eBay provided.

Buyers pay sales taxes.

It doesn't matter what the object was, it could be a lump of coal or used shoes or a lottery ticket, the tax is on the action of sale* and the buyer pays the tax.

* Or more precisely on the action of buying.

Message 36 of 281
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

I don't think anyone would charge tax at a garage sale, used is used! But as per usual, nothing we can do about it. 

People holding garage sales generally aren't registered to collect GST/HST and/or provincial sales taxes, so that's why used items sold at garage sales aren't charged tax.  It has nothing to do with the item being used.

Used items sold by retailers such as Value Village or have taxes charged on them if taxes apply to the item itself, not its "new" or "used" state.   Used cars are also subject to taxes.

cc: @canada_goose_whisperer 

Message 37 of 281
latest reply

I sell a coffee cup to Fred down the street for 50 cents. I get rid of a cup...He gets a new cup

The tax is on the action of buying the cup.

Fred pays the tax on buying.

You remit the tax to the government.

The government uses the tax to provide clean water to put in the cup.

I feel like I'm back at work, writing letters for the signature of the Minister.

At least here I can use humour where it might be helpful. And speak plainly.

Message 38 of 281
latest reply

I looked into this when I reached the sales threshold to collect taxes.  Everything I read said there was no exemption for used items.  The large majority of my cards are purchased second hand.

Message 39 of 281
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

But that still doesn't mean they should be collecting hst on USED goods sold online, as (like I said above) no value has been added to them,

EBay enabled you to turn your old shoes into money.

You bought the service eBay provided.

Buyers pay sales taxes.

It doesn't matter what the object was, it could be a lump of coal or used shoes or a lottery ticket, the tax is on the action of sale* and the buyer pays the tax.

* Or more precisely on the action of buying.

@reallynicestamps I see your point, and raise you another one.

If tax is not based on when value is added, but instead on the action of buying, then why are vegetables (like raw carrots) not subject to tax in store when you purchase them?

Message 40 of 281
latest reply