Garbage

Greedy ass trash
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Garbage

it truly helps to READ and UNDERSTAND what this Canadian taxation process is all about, and that this is NOT unique to eBay. It is a Canadian LAW that states selling sites must apply the taxes to online TRANSACTIONS.

BUYERS pay the tax, SELLES pay the fees on the TOTAL transaction, including any applicable taxes.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Garbage

Actually it is UNIQUE to eBay that sellers pay service fees on HST. All the other sale sites I use DO NOT DO THAT to the seller. So yes it is Unique. Also the other sites charge shipping themselves to the buyer and again DO NOT charge me their service fee on shipping because I don’t set shipping, it’s a low rate (definitely lower than anything through eBay Canada Wide). Other sites only charge on the actual money you make from the transaction. Last sale I did on EBay they technically charged me 20%

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Garbage

well perhaps you need to expand your knowledge about other selling sites because yes indeed there are sites who have fees set up very similar to those here on eBay....

and as sellers on this site we know that this is eBay's site,eBay's rules,policies.etc...we agree to the terms of use/the user agreement;we agree to accept fees as applicable; we agree to any and all additions,changes ammendments,updates to any and all rules and policies...

don't like? don't/can't/won't agree to that?...

the answer is simple...don't use the site!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Garbage

It is possible that your other venues are hiding the taxes in the selling price. This is legal, in fact when the GST was introduced K-Mart did this.

They quickly dropped it because the cost+tax= price  looked more expensive than the same goods sold by Woolworth's who were advertising the "bare" price and adding the tax at the cash register.

Some provinces do not allow this, some do.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/gst-hst-businesses/digital-ec...

Which venues are not charging the buyer taxes? I buy little online but Zulily certainly does, and Sweetlegs. Also Lowes.

It has been Standard Practice for payment processors  to charge fees on the entire payment since at least the 80s when we got our first merchant credit card account. The processor was Moneris.

https://shop.moneris.com/service/returns/

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Garbage

@shayeshye wrote:

Actually it is UNIQUE to eBay that sellers pay service fees on HST. All the other sale sites I use DO NOT DO THAT to the seller. So yes it is Unique. Also the other sites charge shipping themselves to the buyer and again DO NOT charge me their service fee on shipping because I don’t set shipping, it’s a low rate (definitely lower than anything through eBay Canada Wide). Other sites only charge on the actual money you make from the transaction. Last sale I did on EBay they technically charged me 20%

The terms other online marketplaces use have to be read carefully.  I note that one site doesn't spell out that it charges fees on taxes charged, but instead states that its fees are a percentage "of the total order amount."  That would, of course, include taxes charged to the buyer.

And as pointed out by @femmefan1946, some of those other sites may be bumping up their fee percentage and not explicitly charging it on taxes.  As I believe I mentioned to you on another thread, it's a good idea to do the number-crunching and see how the actual amount you pay in fees compares.  Getting wrapped up in percentages doesn't really make the comparison very clear.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Garbage

I just figured it out.

EBay, with Managed Payments, now does all its own payment processing. When eBay used Paypal, those processing charges were on the PP invoice and not on the eBay invoice and easy to miss.

If the other venues are using PP, or another third party processor, that could be the source of the misunderstanding.

I guess we'd need an etsy seller to tell us. @mrdutch1001  do you know?

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Garbage

Etsy uses the same payment processor as eBay(Adyen)

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Garbage

Thank you.

But do they bill the seller with a fee on processing the entire payment?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Garbage

Etsy's fee structure has become just as confusing as eBay's with all this taxation but this is what I am currently seeing as a seller(an occasional/infrequent seller on that site too so am not GST/PST registered):

Processing fee: 3.0% of the order total plus $0.25

Transaction fee: 6.5% of item total

Transaction fee: postage: 6.5% of postage total

Listing fee per item listing: 26c CDN plus 1c GST

Message 10 of 10
latest reply