New Community Layout - What do you think?

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Happy Wednesday everyone!

The new look for Community launched this morning and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter (good and bad). I can't promise you that things will be changed, but we can work with Khoros to develop future improvements. Of course, some things can be changed so there's that possibility too. 

I'm still going around and putting the final touches on things, but if you come across something that seems odd, doesn't work or you just need help finding where your favorite board is give me a shout on this thread! 

Thanks again for your patience, 

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Hi Tyler, Personally I find the new format much more difficult to read and navigate, I usually like progress, but in this case the amount of screen real estate and scrolling required to find threads makes it difficult to use and read. The  ability to only show the titles of the posts, and not a preview of the content of the post would be welcomed. as it stands the individual discussion area only show about 3 posts per screen, where as the old layout showed about 10, so much more scrolling involved. Not great from my perspective. The reorganization of the discussion areas is good.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Thanks for this @flyhooks4less - I'm not sure about removing previews (I'll check, it may be a simple check/uncheck option for me to do), but I think I can do something about the number of posts you see per screen before you have to hit 'load more'. Let me look into that

Tyler,
eBay
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Hi, Tyler. I’m of a similar mind as @flyhooks4less. I’m on my phone right now and I’m feeling I have to scroll, look around or tap a lot more to get to where I want to go, but that may be just a learning curve I have to navigate.

I’m still not wild about the purple and magenta colour scheme that I’ve found is not only associated with the Community home page, but also with user profiles! Whyyyyy are these colours being used? 😂 eBay colours would at least make sense! 😁
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@marnotom! - I'm sad you don't like the purple color (it's one of my favorites after the teal), but thanks for giving me the heads up on the profile pages! I will have a look at that page to see if it's something I can adjust. 

Re: colors in general, they should change based on section of the community you're in. Have a poke about and look at the others we have access to!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

There used to be a search bar at the top of the page to search for products. I would like to see that return. Also is there a link that shows a list or menu of the boards?  Thank You.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Howdy @flyhooks4less - following up on this one! Preview text is pretty hardwired, I can't do much with that. I can have the number of posts per page before you have to hit 'load more' adjusted. The Khoros team is working on upping that from 5 to a larger number (10-15 is the request). 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Hi @strange*highways - the search bar for eBay items is gone, and there aren't currently plans to bring it back. The eBay logo in the upper left will take you to the eBay Marketplace page and you can search from there. So more clicks when it comes to that. 

As to a complete list of boards, I can grab that for you! Screenshot follows:

This is a quick 'exploded' view of all the drop down images. I can make a text layout as well if you'd find that helpful!. :)This is a quick 'exploded' view of all the drop down images. I can make a text layout as well if you'd find that helpful!. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@flyhooks4less wrote:

Hi Tyler, Personally I find the new format much more difficult to read and navigate, I usually like progress, but in this case the amount of screen real estate and scrolling required to find threads makes it difficult to use and read. The  ability to only show the titles of the posts, and not a preview of the content of the post would be welcomed. as it stands the individual discussion area only show about 3 posts per screen, where as the old layout showed about 10, so much more scrolling involved. Not great from my perspective. The reorganization of the discussion areas is good.

I'm not seeing any form of a link with the header to return to your personal Seller Hub page.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - that's correct, the overall eBay header is gone. You can use the footer links at the bottom or click the eBay logo in the upper left to get back to the eBay Marketplace side!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Hi tyler, I have very good eyesight but find the text is harder to read. Is it smaller than before? Or maybe a different type? Maybe I need to just get used to it. Overall, I do find it more confusing and have to scroll down more often. I guess I’ll need to get used to that awful purple colour too!

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Ha ha!  Aww, sorry to have hit a sore spot with the purple!  It just doesn't say "eBay" to me.  It took me a while to track down the teal, but I'm okay with that.  I'm even okay with the "pumpkin spice" look of the eBay Town Square Cafe, or whatever it's called now.  But purple and magenta?  Really?  😂

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@msmaggie060 - yes, the text is something I've noticed as well. It's a lighter gray instead of a black. We're working on getting it adjusted to be something more readable, as well as getting more topics displayed before you need to scroll!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

I'm still looking around.

When I hover over someone's name on the board I used to get a pop up so that I could click on whether I wanted to see their listings, other posts etc.  Now it brings me to a whole new page.  That's annoying. 

I also miss seeing who was the last person that posted on that thread without having to go into the thread.  

I also miss having a link to 'my ebay' on the community pages.

I don't have a problem with the colors though! 

I see that we can sign out now on this page...wasn't that missing before?

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 - I agree with the pop up box - it made things really simple. With this new design a lot of the older customizations we've all gotten used to got removed. In most cases these types of customizations were leading to slower load times.

The last edited/last replied feature was super useful and one I'm going to see if we can get at least some of that functionality back. 

The 'my eBay' link in the header is one I'm going to miss too - and that one is for sure out. 

Glad to know that you like the colors! 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 27
latest reply

This new format is quite an improvement, I'm using a desktop and 17" screen,  looks great. My opinion may change once I have a chance to try it out on a smaller tablet or phone.

The slimmed down menu is much better than before.  The text colour may be a little light, that's something that might be improved. Also I hate having to constantly load more discussions, scrolling a much longer list would be nice. 

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

I do like that the Announcements are easier to see and access. Not that I ever read them, preferring to lead a life of blissful ignorance until Reality clouts me over the ear and screams "Wake up, quinie!".

I second (or possibly eighth) the request for more titles before we need to ask for them.

And it helps to know who posted last to a thread I have been following.

But on the whole, good job. Even the purple is... inoffensive? (I like bright colours. To me, red is a neutral.)

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Are the posts no longer going to be numbered?
I find that useful when referring back to a much earlier post ("See post #18 of 385" , for example)

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Hi @reallynicestamps - I'm working with Khoros on the numbered posts now (I also use them frequently). 

I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll hear back that we can't have the indentation of replies and also have numbered posts. 

I'm of a mind that I'd rather have numbered posts back, even if it means the fancy indentation has to get chopped. What do you think?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Hi @msmaggie060 - we got the text darkened a bit, is it easier to read now?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 20 of 27
latest reply