First time using Ebay - Bad experience - Help

kyatt_0
Community Member

Hi, 
This is my first time using Ebay and I feel like I got screwed over. I sold my first item internationally and the buyer did not receive the pacakge, submitted a claim and got a refund. Either the buyer has the pacakge or the package is lost, I was required to refund the buyer and I now also have to pay for the buyers shipping and transaction fees. 

As a seller I selected "buyer pays shipping", why would I be required to pay shipping and fees? I read an ebay page on international shipping and its states "You’re protected, If your item is claimed as lost or damaged during international transit, you won’t be at fault", how am I protected and not at fault? I am paying for everything and my item is lost....

I am upset how Ebay is advertising it to be safe/secure/easy it is but you can get screwed over so easily and its 100% in their control. I am currently waiting for a response from Ebay to see what they can do to help. 

Any suggestions would be great. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: First time using Ebay - Bad experience - Help

Firstly, new seller mistake #1 -selling outside of Canada. With no  eBay selling experience, it is never in your best interests to sell outside of Canada until you have some sales and experience.

New Seller Mistake #2 - selling high value and/or electronics items ... New sellers are targeted by scammers, especially so with electronics, computers,etc which makes those categories one of the most risky selling categories on eBay.

BTW unless you are offering "Free Shipping" (In which you would build the cost of shipping into the price of the item), it is the BUYER that pays shipping as you would have set up your shipping rates within the listing.

New sellers who use eBay shipping labels mistakenly think that they are paying the shipping because they are purchasing a label through eBay. Fact is the monies for that shipping label are funded from the shipping costs that you have entered into your listing.

Know what you sell, sell what you know...

and KNOW everything there is to know about how to sell on eBay and know the rules, policies, transaction Fees and how they are calculated BEFORE listing anything on eBay!

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It's your responsibility to get the item to the location specified. If the shipment gets lost, you have to refund the buyer the full cost they paid, including shipping. Many places have consumer protection laws that directly cover that kind of scenario, in addition to it being the right thing to do. The page you read is likely for the USA site regarding the eIS program. We don't have access to that program when listing on eBay Canada. It's my understanding that eBay covers loss when it occurs using that program. Make sure the help pages you read are for the site you're listing on.

As for the fees, if eBay had to step in, I don't think you get those refunded. If you refunded the buyer when they opened the case without forcing eBay to handle it, you should get those selling fees returned.

Once the buyer has been made whole, you can file a claim with the shipping company. The claim may or may not be successful depending on whether or not the package is found or delivered.  Also remember that if it is eventually delivered but late, you may at the very least be able to get the shipping fees refunded even if you don't get the item value reimbursed.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Which service did use for shipping and where was the item sent?   If you used a service with tracking and the tracking was uploaded to eBay, you would win an item not received claim IF the item showed as delivered.   But sellers are responsible if there is no tracking and the buyer claims they didn't receive it.

As a new seller it would be best to ship only to the US and Canada and to know which shipping methods are best to use.  As another poster suggested, the international shipping program you read about was probably the eBay international shipping program which is available only if you are shipping from the US.  

Buyers are protected by the money back guarantee here so it is a good idea to read and understand how it works.  It us also a good idea to ask for help on these discussion boards when you have a problem or any questions.  We can't always help you but hopefully we can point you in the right direction,   https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Hi @kyatt_0 

Sorry about your crisis. EBay is a great place but it can be complex. Kudos to you for reaching out. It shows you're serious.

I see you already are getting knowledgeable very experienced input from some of eBay's best sellers. I started in 2013 and they helped me a lot. Be sure to reply and thank them. They are giving you their time.

I looked  at your last 2 electronics sales. (Feb & March) My recommendation is simple. Pick a niche you have knowledge in, that you enjoy and one that is in demand on eBay. Until you learn the ropes sell LESS EXPENSIVE items. The electronics you are selling are in a very high risk category. Sell in the $20 to $50 price point to gain savvy.

Selling outside Canada and the continental US will work great after you learn how to mitigate risk and navigate country specific challenges. Aways use shipping with tracking and insurance unless you're prepared to absorb a loss. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply