Sales Taxes

Hello there,

We have been on eBay for many years and just noticed this month starting on January 7th that our buyers in Canada are being charged a sales tax. Did this change recently? We sale used items and have never charged taxes. Now, when I download the sales report I started noticing this. Could someone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sales Taxes

Hello,

We realized what the issue was. We are currently integrating with a new listing platform and it was checking off the "charge sales taxes..." checkbox automatically. We have disabled this now and it's back to normal. 

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@goodwillindustriesontariogreatlakes wrote:

We have been on eBay for many years and just noticed this month starting on January 7th that our buyers in Canada are being charged a sales tax. Did this change recently? We sale used items and have never charged taxes. ...

I checked a couple of your listings and the listings are set up to collect sales tax across Canada (HST/GST/PST/QST).  That is something the Seller sets up and turns on, it is not something eBay.CA turns on.    So you should be asking whoever else has access to the selling account if they have done something (and why).

-..-

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hello,

We realized what the issue was. We are currently integrating with a new listing platform and it was checking off the "charge sales taxes..." checkbox automatically. We have disabled this now and it's back to normal. 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

There is sales tax on used goods.

You may not have to charge it to your customers (although at least Ontario and Quebec do require it) but you do have to remit sales taxes to the appropriate governments.

If your accountants don't know that, you need new accountants.

There is a de minimus.

You might also notice that you are being charged a fee of 3.7% on the US "internet sales tax"  which is charged to appropriate customers through your Paypal / Managed Payments account.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If you're not a business is there still sales tax to be collected an paid?  i.e for the sale of a personal used item?

Message 5 of 5
latest reply