December 5th 2018 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening up the Weekly Chat for you. Feel free to leave a question and I'll respond Wednesday. 

Thanks!
Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Good evening, Tyler. Thank you for being here and thank you for opening the thread.

I think as we’re hitting the first week in December that many sellers are still keenly feeling the pinch of postal labour disruptions. Does Canada Post communicate with eBay Canada Head office directly about the current impact of these ‘unprecedented delays’ or does eBay glean from tracking how much of a delay to brace buyers to expect?

Whereas I didn’t see major impact on delivery times with my parcels at first, I now definitely have a few stuck in transit. I’m not worried about them yet but as the month continues.... under normal circumstances we’d have until Dec 13 to use Expedited Parcel. Is eBay going to flat-out label listings with ‘expect delivery for Christmas’ or ‘expect delivery after the holidays’?

We don’t want to lose buyers but we don’t want to promise what the postal system cannot deliver either.

I just wondered where eBay’s intentions lay with this. There are two disparate thoughts from sellers here on this: one side thinks the delivery delay warnings are exaggerated and it’s unnecessarily scaring buyers away, and the other thinks it’s not a long enough estimate to be realistic and that buyers are being promised unreasonable deliver-by dates. So. Middle-ground?

As online sellers we’re counting on consumer confidence that the postal system can still do its job and deliver those parcels in time to the shoppers that need them. Does eBay itself expect this to happen?
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

This is a part question, part update regarding Canada Post and MBG.

As you may be aware, Canada Post is currently has a backlog of items. They have been quoted as saying "first in first out". However, based on tracking results from purchases I made, this does not seem to be the case.

I bought watch parts from a supplier in Canada and CPC picked up the shipment on Nov 23, and currently has an estimated delivery date of Monday, December 17. That estimate has steadily increased as the days have gone by. Originally it was estimated Mon, December 4. The tracking on that item is 1010753151178886.

I just purchased a watch from a seller and it was shipped on Dec 03. The estimated delivery of that item is Dec 12. The tracking number is 8576969754716916.

Now, if Canada Post truly was doing first in, first out, wouldn't my shipment from Nov 23 be a priority over my latest shipment?

So, in light of this, how is eBay going to address this issue? It seems clear that older packages in the system are going to be delayed considerably and that any new packages are getting priority.

As a buyer I'm patient, as a seller I'm not too worried as most of my stuff is lower value or went to the US. But I am sure there are others that will be stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to extending MBG etc.

With all this, is the limit of 60 days from order date going to be extended in terms of feedback, MBG etc.? Because at the moment, after 60 days a buyer's ability to open a case is removed, and I think the ability to leave feedback.

Some updates on this would be good because we have had roughly a week for CPC to be back at work minus the various third party labor actions.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

tafa-29
Community Member

Hello Tyler,

There is this Hotel.com gift card that i have been trying to purchase but for some reason when i select paypal as the payment method it gives the following error

"We ran into a problem and PayPal isn't available right now. Please select a different payment option." Since Paypal is the only option the seller accepts i have been unable to complete the purchase. I have talked to both Paypal and Ebay yesterday on this issue but both keep redirecting across to each other without a solution. I'm hoping you could help?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Is the eBay MoneyBack Guarantee really for 60 days as a result of the postal dispute? I told someone recently it added an extra 15 days to the 30 so I’ll have to find that thread and correct myself!
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

When we have an item not received request for an untracked item how does Ebay suggest we handle it?

I don’t want it to close on its own if I don’t refund it and get a defect. Do we tell them to wait a couple weeks or a month?

There is obviously a huge amount of regular mail in trailers still.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

Has eBay ever considered something like, If the buyer chooses untracked service(Does it really make sense to force a buyer to pay for tracking on a very low-value item?) the buyer would not be able to receive a refund if their item does not arrive. Not saying that all buyers are abusing this policy, but very possibly some are. Sellers have no control over an item once they put it in the mail and therefore should not be fully accountable if it's not delivered.

-CM

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Just from my own experience, to start, if your shipping internationally without tracking, make sure you use the slowest possible shipping estimate from Ebay in your listing. It does not protect you from non-delivery but it does somewhat protect you from eBay's often knee jerk reaction to quickly close cases in the buyer's favour if it's before eBay's own delivery estimates. It happened to me even on a tracked item. I sent a package to Indonesia with tracking. The buyer opened the case one month after shipping. The package still showed in transit. Because Ebay's delivery estimate showed 30 days, they refunded the buyer and closed the case AND I got dinged a defect. A months after that the buyer received the item but Ebay refused to compensate me back and the buyer would not respond and Ebay wouldn't remove the defect.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@retroman_studios wrote:
This is a part question, part update regarding Canada Post and MBG.

As you may be aware, Canada Post is currently has a backlog of items. They have been quoted as saying "first in first out". However, based on tracking results from purchases I made, this does not seem to be the case.

I bought watch parts from a supplier in Canada and CPC picked up the shipment on Nov 23, and currently has an estimated delivery date of Monday, December 17. That estimate has steadily increased as the days have gone by. Originally it was estimated Mon, December 4. The tracking on that item is 1010753151178886.

I just purchased a watch from a seller and it was shipped on Dec 03. The estimated delivery of that item is Dec 12. The tracking number is 8576969754716916.

Now, if Canada Post truly was doing first in, first out, wouldn't my shipment from Nov 23 be a priority over my latest shipment?

So, in light of this, how is eBay going to address this issue? It seems clear that older packages in the system are going to be delayed considerably and that any new packages are getting priority.

As a buyer I'm patient, as a seller I'm not too worried as most of my stuff is lower value or went to the US. But I am sure there are others that will be stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to extending MBG etc.

With all this, is the limit of 60 days from order date going to be extended in terms of feedback, MBG etc.? Because at the moment, after 60 days a buyer's ability to open a case is removed, and I think the ability to leave feedback.

Some updates on this would be good because we have had roughly a week for CPC to be back at work minus the various third party labor actions.

Hi @retroman_studios - protections have not been altered at this point in time: a buyer has 30 days from the latest estimated delivery date to open an Item not Received Request with their seller. If escalated to us for resolution CS has been instructed to allow an additional 15 day hold on the case to give time for the item to be delivered.  

A buyer has up to 60 days to leave feedback and that hasn't been altered with regards to the labour dispute. 

If you run into any requests or cases that you are concerned with I'd strongly recommend contacting CS for additional insight or assistance. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@tafa-29 wrote:

Hello Tyler,

There is this Hotel.com gift card that i have been trying to purchase but for some reason when i select paypal as the payment method it gives the following error

"We ran into a problem and PayPal isn't available right now. Please select a different payment option." Since Paypal is the only option the seller accepts i have been unable to complete the purchase. I have talked to both Paypal and Ebay yesterday on this issue but both keep redirecting across to each other without a solution. I'm hoping you could help?

Hi @tafa-29! That error can come up for a variety of reasons. Many times it's because you don't have a PayPal account on file, and other times it's because of a browser issue. 

I would try to checkout from a different browser, and if you get the same error feel free to send me a private message or contact CS directly for help getting that card purchased!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

This is why Surface shipping, even Tracked surface shipping, is too expensive.

If the buyer can't (or won't) pay for Air Mail, walk away.

Some sales are not worth having.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@lachnrd wrote:
When we have an item not received request for an untracked item how does Ebay suggest we handle it?

I don’t want it to close on its own if I don’t refund it and get a defect. Do we tell them to wait a couple weeks or a month?

There is obviously a huge amount of regular mail in trailers still.

Hi @lachnrd - if escalated to us, CS can place it on a 15 day hold to allow for the item to be delivered. If, after that time, the item still hasn't been delivered there's a chance we would ask you to issue a refund for the item. 

If the item was sent during the time frame of the strike you should not receive negative or neutral feedback, a late shipment mark, tracking upload & validated miss, or have an impact to your Service Metrics standard for an item not received request being opened.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Has eBay ever considered something like, If the buyer chooses untracked service(Does it really make sense to force a buyer to pay for tracking on a very low-value item?) the buyer would not be able to receive a refund if their item does not arrive. Not saying that all buyers are abusing this policy, but very possibly some are. Sellers have no control over an item once they put it in the mail and therefore should not be fully accountable if it's not delivered.

-CM

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies!  Just to clarify: we consider you accountable for the delivery of the item in the condition its described at the time of listing. Whether you deliver the item yourself (which is unfeasible) or contract with a delivery carrier to act on your behalf, your obligation remains the same. Tracking is meant to protect you as a seller, not the buyer. If you choose to offer an untracked service and a customer chooses that method then you are running the risk of not having a recourse should they not receive it. 

For many sellers it's a business decision - there is definitely a price range of items where a tracked service would cost more than the item itself. In those situations I'd strongly recommend using self-insurance like @ricarmic or @femmefan1946 do, and folding a fractional cost of loss into the selling price of all your items to account for the few times in which you would need to pay out on a claim of non-receipt.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:
Good evening, Tyler. Thank you for being here and thank you for opening the thread.

I think as we’re hitting the first week in December that many sellers are still keenly feeling the pinch of postal labour disruptions. Does Canada Post communicate with eBay Canada Head office directly about the current impact of these ‘unprecedented delays’ or does eBay glean from tracking how much of a delay to brace buyers to expect?

Whereas I didn’t see major impact on delivery times with my parcels at first, I now definitely have a few stuck in transit. I’m not worried about them yet but as the month continues.... under normal circumstances we’d have until Dec 13 to use Expedited Parcel. Is eBay going to flat-out label listings with ‘expect delivery for Christmas’ or ‘expect delivery after the holidays’?

We don’t want to lose buyers but we don’t want to promise what the postal system cannot deliver either.

I just wondered where eBay’s intentions lay with this. There are two disparate thoughts from sellers here on this: one side thinks the delivery delay warnings are exaggerated and it’s unnecessarily scaring buyers away, and the other thinks it’s not a long enough estimate to be realistic and that buyers are being promised unreasonable deliver-by dates. So. Middle-ground?

As online sellers we’re counting on consumer confidence that the postal system can still do its job and deliver those parcels in time to the shoppers that need them. Does eBay itself expect this to happen?

Hi @momcqueen - I wish we had some kind of bat-phone to CPC! The truth is we glean information from publicly available sources and from the vast amount of data we have with tracking labels uploaded to our platform. 

Estimated delivery dates are a tricky balance, and you've got it in one when it comes to the reason: too agressive and we could scare of potential buyers, too lax and we present unrealistic estimates to buyer and they are disappointed (which no one wants). 

We're working on educating buyers to be understanding when it comes to delayed mail - with an email campaign sent after the announced end of the strike, and by continuing to adjust estimated delivery dates based on what we see happening from our end. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining this week! I'll be available on the boards, feel free to tag me!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 15
latest reply