Entering Bank Account Information

I have been an (admittedly limited) Ebay seller for over 20 years.  I will no longer be selling on Ebay once my current listings expire as I ABSOLUTELY refuse to give Ebay access to my banking information.  This is unacceptable.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Some sellers opened a new (often online and often no-fee) checking account for Managed Payments.

How do you think PP put money in your bank account before, by the way?

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

That's the whole point, PayPal has a balance so you didn't need to give it your bank account. eBay's new system just throws away that convenience entirely. Just like magmannorth I absolutely refuse to give eBay direct access to my personal bank account, they are not a trustworthy corporation. I'm also not going to go through the trouble of opening up a dedicated bank account just for eBay, that's ridiculous. I'm not a business seller, just a single guy getting rid of stuff.

eBay needs to revert that nonsense NOW. I will NOT use their "Managed Payments" **bleep**, period.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Why would sellers use eBay to facilitate their online sales for years if not decades and then turn around and label the site as “untrustworthy”? 🙄
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

So you never withdrew a cent from PayPal? Also, opening an account for eBay makes sense not just for managed payments but to keep things separate. And for what it’s worth opening a tangerine account online takes about 5 minutes. Just saying. But sounds like you made up your mind.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

As I already said, I'm not a business seller. It made sense to have sales profit go into my PayPal balance which was then used the next time I would pay for something with my PayPal account. I have no need nor desire to have a bank account dedicated to eBay.

By taking out PayPal support, eBay is making things pointlessly complicated for regular people to sell on their platform.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Doesn't matter if it's years or decades or centuries or whatever, giving an online company one's personal banking information is a major security risk. eBay is not magically guaranteed to never get hacked, especially now that they're an even more appealing target since they now carry their users' banking info.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

eBay has proven over & over that it is NOT trustworthy...but that's a whole other story...

and the whole approach to the MP system has been shrouded in secrecy. Sellers had to sign up/register before they could even get adequate info or answers to their many questions...

Nearly 4 years ago when Etsy moved its sellers into Etsy Payments(and removed PayPal as a payment processor for sellers), the move was en masse/global... it was a transition over a short period of time ..not 3+ years and counting...Etsy Payments didn't take years to implement and it wasn't a disasterous charade like  what eBay has dealt its sellers.

After 3+ years, eBay is "stlll working at it" MP is still a "work in progress"  and still a total mess.

I am not walking into this mess created by eBay with its incompetence, lack of professionalism, and totally useless tech personnel...

A crew of 5th graders could handle this better, would do a better job as they'd be up to the challenge, willing to show the world they could do this, they'd be focused on the job at hand, get it done and be damned proud of it!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I agree. I like being able to run a balance in my payment processing account and using it to buy on eBay and elsewhere.

But should we assume you kept all your payments in your PP account?

I moved mine a couple of times a month to the appropriate bank (I also liked being able to have several accounts, one in an American bank.)

From there I can pay bills, make new investments, pay taxes, etc., none of which are possible with PP.

My general policy was not to have anymore in my PP account than would cover my monthly fees. Why leave my money in the hands of a foreign company.

When you opened your PP account, you were required to attach banking information. Later I think new clients could use a credit card*  instead.

*I suspect being able to open a PP account with only a credit card led to some of the problems eBay has had with hijacked and burner accounts.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@intergalacticwalrus wrote:

Doesn't matter if it's years or decades or centuries or whatever, giving an online company one's personal banking information is a major security risk. eBay is not magically guaranteed to never get hacked, especially now that they're an even more appealing target since they now carry their users' banking info.

eBay has a lot of other personal information on file for you, though, and I fail to see why somebody who would find the site so untrustworthy would continue to use it for selling if they're not comfortable with eBay having this information.

I also don't get how PayPal is seen as so trustworthy by some people when its accounts aren't covered by deposit insurance.

By the way, the same personal banking information has appeared on cheques for aeons.  I think if this were as problematic a risk as you're suggesting, a different way of providing bank account information on cheques would have been devised a long time ago.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

eBay has proven over & over that it is NOT trustworthy...but that's a whole other story...

and the whole approach to the MP system has been shrouded in secrecy. Sellers had to sign up/register before they could even get adequate info or answers to their many questions...

The way I view it is that the set-up for Managed Payments has been pretty tightly managed for security and that's why information about it has been coming out in dribs and drabs.  For example, much of the information that board moderators used to have on user accounts is no longer available to them.  Also, given that sellers won't be able to use eBay if they don't register for Managed Payments, I suspect the attitude from "on high" was that it made more sense for sellers to switch over first and try to figure out how things worked before asking questions.  Some people can work with that sort of arrangement, some people can't.  Such is the nature of being human.

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

Nearly 4 years ago when Etsy moved its sellers into Etsy Payments(and removed PayPal as a payment processor for sellers), the move was en masse/global... it was a transition over a short period of time ..not 3+ years and counting...Etsy Payments didn't take years to implement and it wasn't a disasterous charade like  what eBay has dealt its sellers.

After 3+ years, eBay is "stlll working at it" MP is still a "work in progress"  and still a total mess.

I am not walking into this mess created by eBay with its incompetence, lack of professionalism, and totally useless tech personnel...

A crew of 5th graders could handle this better, would do a better job as they'd be up to the challenge, willing to show the world they could do this, they'd be focused on the job at hand, get it done and be damned proud of it!

Apples and oranges.  Etsy is a newer platform with more up to date coding and a smaller userbase, so it's more easily able to turn on a dime than eBay, which is like a network of fifty-year old warehouses with a lot of deferred maintenance but with a much larger clientele.  Etsy only has the one website; the "international" sites are actually just customized pages within the Etsy website, whereas eBay has a lot of individual national sites.  

Etsy only had to introduce one Etsy Payments system that could be tweaked with for non-US users.  eBay's Managed Payments has to be different for every national eBay site to reflect banking regulations and systems, taxes, and so forth.

I'm not really surprised by these growing pains.  The latest eBay CEOs have expressed a desire to bring the eBay platforms into the 21st century and when you're dealing with a lot of old computer code, it's going to be a messy transition, particularly when you bring a lot of "new blood" in to renovate the old warehouses. 

Besides, name a time when the eBay sites worked absolutely perfectly.  I still remember a plethora of "outage" announcements from back in the day.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I will disagree to Managed Payments having growing pains is normal. Every eBay change for the past 15 years that I have experienced have had issues big and small. eBay is simply incompetent at coding and implementation of a change. No one or at least not enough people know their systems. They always released changes based on self imposed deadlines to meet goals by management. Implement the change and figure out how to fix it based on user feedback (buyer, seller, third party tools). No excuses for this. No other website as large as eBay would allow this shoddy change implementation nor treat its members buyers and sellers this way. The only reason people use this site is that eBay is still getting a lot of people coming to the site to buy and sell. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

well you just keep telling yourself that & believing all that because no amount of support for eBay's handling of the MP system will ever change the truth.eBay is so full of excuses for this and that , nothing can be believed or trusted if eBay is handling it...

eBay made a complete mess of the implementation of the MP system> no ifs, ands, or buts about it...

TOTAL imcompetence and so mis-managed, its pathetic.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

I don't believe I've ever claimed that eBay has done an outstanding job of handling the transition to Managed Payments, but I do think that there would be unhappy users no matter how they handled it.  This transition has been more difficult that anybody at eBay likely expected.  It's a bit like renovating a house that saw some renos twenty years ago and finding out that the asbestos in the house wasn't removed in that previous renovation.

I'd be really surprised if more than half a handful of the original 1995 eBay techie team is still with eBay and that most of its original documentation is still around.  Couple this with the ancient code that's been the backbone of the eBay sites and you've got a recipe for a difficult fusing of IT.

Labelling the Managed Payments transition as "growing pains" is a bit of an understatement in that there's a lot about eBay that's changing besides Managed Payments, such as the use of item specifics, fee structures and listing categories.  I predict that the eBay of 2015 is going to be considerably different than the eBay of 2011 in appearance, functionality, and services available to buyers and sellers.  The fun has just started, kids.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

klyniss
Community Member

When I started on ebay in 1999 (and for years afterwards) we used to send Money Orders in the mail for purchases.

Remember when things were so easy and people were so honest?

So much for those days. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

@klyniss wrote:

When I started on ebay in 1999 (and for years afterwards) we used to send Money Orders in the mail for purchases.

Remember when things were so easy and people were so honest?

So much for those days. 

I also remember a lot of prospective American buyers back then wondering why they couldn’t pay me and my spouse by credit card, unless we did an escrow transaction.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply