Prepaid Gift Card payments blocked since mid-2021.

Hi. I've been on eBay for 2-3 years now, and I've been shopping hassle-free the whole time with prepaid eBay Canada gift cards. I purchase $200 cards every so often to buy vintage figures and DB SH Figuarts.

But since about mid-2021 or so, every single payment I try to make is blocked. I get a generic "Please check your payment details or select a different payment method."

These blocks, as mentioned, are on each and every item I try to checkout. I checked my account: all I did lately is changed my username to "tabuuforte" from "tabuuforteakugun", and otherwise my account is in pristine standing. My "payment and shipping details" are 100% accurate, and I do not own another payment method (credit/debit card, etc.) I used to be able to cover 100% of my costs with the gift cards. Now when I win an auction or want to buy an item, I have to go to eBay chat's Managed Payments team who unblock the purchases by force on their end.

This issue is getting really frustrating, and I'm getting nowhere with help chats. Nobody can pinpoint what's wrong, or there is no real sense of urgency to get me spending my money again (from what I can see)

I am aware, I think, that some people have temporary blocks (after using too many cards/funds/etc at once). But my block appears permanent and there seems to be not a darn thing I can do about it from my perspective.

Please help, as eBay is my main and preferred way to shop for these items.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I see there is a long list of restrictions on card use, do any of them apply?

https://pages.ebay.ca/gift-cards 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

No they don't. I'm always careful about meeting said restrictions.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Looks like you posted about this a few months back and you received a response for the eBay liason for these discussion boards:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Payments/My-eBay-prepaid-cards-won-t-let-me-checkout/m-p/473593

We have new liasons assisting us on the discussion boards now.  My suggestion would be to post this to a Tuesday/Wednesday user help session and see if they can get it officially on an IT person's radar.

Then again, I just did a bit of checking and it looks as though there are .com users who have had this problem years ago, even before Adyen took over payment processing from PayPal.

Are you using a Canadian eBay gift card to try to purchase items that are in US dollars, by any chance?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

ISometimes I did, yes. I never had an issue paying for American items, as it would make me pay the converted to Canadian price.

I posted this months ago, but I can't seem to find my threads or my replies. I changed my name here, as I said, and it's like all my activity was erased! I can't even figure out how to authenticate my PC as a trusted device, which is starting to come up to me as a probable cause of the issue?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Forgive my double reply, but what's this "Tuesday/Wednesday user help session" exactly?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

To see previous threads or replies, just click on your user name.

On Tuesday afternoon ebay reps start a thread so that we can ask them questions. They reply on that the thread on Wednesday.  They won't comment on specific account problems but they may be able to make a suggestion on what to do. 

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/bd-p/23000000073

You might want to try contacting customer service on Facebook or Twitter by sending them a private message.  They are often more helpful than the chat or phone customer service.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I will try this. Thanks a lot!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Bumping this thread as I am still receiving this annoying error CONSTANTLY.

I was told on my last chat to "up my buyer record" among other things. I have a 100% (last time I checked) feedback profile, a pretty much flawless rep as a buyer for the past 4 years, and this kind of stuff. So by that logic, it should be BS that this is still happening, and nobody who manages the system seems to be in much of a hurry or able to get me buying on the regular again.

I'm still looking for options, as wanting to buy rare and in-demand Buy It Now items is a pain in the patootie. I'm told things like "at-risk translations flag your[sic] gift cards and block payments", or "managed payments is the issue", etc. I'm at my wit's end. I'd absolutely hate to have to stop doing business here because nobody can help this pain-in-the-neck issue. I'm tired of it, quite frankly. I've been on countless chats, where they unblock the card for ONE payment, then the blockage immediately is reinstated when I try to get something else! It's getting old, and pretty annoying. I don't even know what the heck is flagging my cards, or whatever, so I can't change my habits to accomodate because I have absolutely no clue what's going on. I buy collectible toys and not restricted or illegal goods, goshdarn it!

I've tried text chats, phone chats, Facebook and Twitter DMs, etc. NOTHING seems to be working. This block just won't go away permanently. Help please?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

The monthly chat session with one of the current eBay liaisons is currently open. Get on it quickly, time is running out:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Monthly-Chat-Session/August-9-2022-Monthly-Chat/m-p/482774

For what it’s worth, I interpret “up your buying record” to mean making some purchases that are paid with a payment instrument other than an eBay gift card.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply