eBay managed payment

Does anyone else (particularly Canadian sellers) resent being forced to switch from PayPal to eBay's managed payment system? I received notice from eBay yesterday and, for whatever good it may do, have sent the following to eBay.

If you insist on moving me (and everyone else) onto your managed payment system, I will stop selling on eBay. My reasons:

1) You say you will charge FVF on total amount of the sale including 13% HST (for Canadian sellers). I am not running a business, and sell less than $30,000 per annum. My government does not require me to charge HST and I have no licence to do so. So it is not right that you collect HST and charge me a commission on it.

2) I do not have a US dollar bank account, only Canadian dollars. I do have a US dollar account with PayPal. If I sell for US dollars, I want to get paid in US dollars, not have you convert the payment to Canadian dollars at an exchange rate lower than the bank rate.

3) I do not trust eBay with access to my personal and financial data.

I will watch to see what happens on April 13th. If you try to move me out of PayPal to your system, we will be parting company.
Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: eBay managed payment

Did you request daily or weekly transfers from your MP account to your bank account?

Message 41 of 56
latest reply

We asked daily, out of 6 listing we received 1 payment. I will be posting a new message, thanks.

Message 42 of 56
latest reply

Yep I do resent it!!

Message 43 of 56
latest reply

Totally agree with you about PayPal being safer. In 15 years of selling on eBay and using PayPal as the payment provider, I have had zero yes ZERO problems with hacking.  I intend to keep it that way. If that means not selling on eBay so be it.

Message 44 of 56
latest reply

Chuckle is right! I also received one email from them in French reminding to sign up quickly!! 

Message 45 of 56
latest reply

I have heard lots of different reasons why eBay sold Paypal but never heard that one before. Guess I will have to do some more research on it someday.... maybe

Message 46 of 56
latest reply

Yes I do resent it. I think we should have a choice on whether we want to stay on with paypal or go to Managed Payments. Its been one aggravation after the other since I switched.

I don't think the 13% HST sales taxes applies to small sellers only to stores. I have never come across that yet. The only time I have noticed it is when I ship out of the country like to the US and that state has taxes then its added on. I have sold a few items to Ontario buyers in the last while and never noticed that.

The Paypal option was great to have US dollars in. If  I wanted to buy something from the US or when retrieving my money. No longer the case with MP. Converted to CDN right there and an extra 3% fee for converting it is added on. Why? Can't find any obvious reason except another swindling of our money by ebay. Fees should be sufficient to cover their ends without resorting to these type of tactics.

Can't make heads or tails out of what they are doing so yes not a good thing to have ebay in and out of our bank accounts. We need to ship right away and the funds for shipping fees don't come out of that specific  transaction most times as there is a delay in processing payment. But they tell us its okay to ship. If its okay for us to ship why is it not okay for them to take the shipping fees out of that specific payment. Instead they then drop the money in your bank account and the fees either come out of the next sale or if there is no next sale they go retrieving it from your bank account. Put something in place where that shipping fees comes out of that specific transaction.

I went to the daily withdrawal as there was no reason I could see to keep it in there for a week other than for this shipping problem. Unless there is a next sale within a couple of days that payment comes out of your bank account.

At this point and with sales at a complete crawl it might just be better to get off ebay completely.

They just keep on changing the game and this one certainly not for the better.

Message 47 of 56
latest reply

I guess I won’t be selling anymore… As an occasional seller that’s been a member for decades, I put a few odds things for sale, but I don’t plan on signing with managed payment at this time. Which is unfortunate, as my items brings diversity of product to the platform.

Message 48 of 56
latest reply

I have had ZERO luck with MP at all. To prepare for the switch ,I switched all my listings into Canadian dollars and removed "Paypal only" from my descriptions. I then signed up for it ,using my online banking portal as I was guided to by Ebay during the sign up. I figured that this was a good thing as there would be no errors in typing in transit and account numbers . I used a Canadian based checking account with a major bank as advised. I signed up on Apr 28th and received my confirmation from Ebay that all was set up and good to go.

Apr 29th I made my first two sales...One Canadian buyer and one USA buyer.

May 4th I received a message and confirmation that my first payout was sent and would take 1-4 business days to be deposited in my bank account....It never was deposited.

May 6th,again,  I received a message and confirmation that my first payout was sent and would take 1-4 business days to be deposited in my bank account....It never was deposited

May 11th,again, I received a message and confirmation that my first payout was sent and would take 1-4 business days to be deposited in my bank account....It never was deposited 

Since May 4th ,I have talked to customer service reps on the MP team at least 7 times with one rep calling me back almost daily to see if the money was deposited yet.I have talked with my bank several times and they cannot see where any funds are pending,were refused or any other kind of errors. As of today(May 13th) ,the money is still out there in cyberspace and MP team and the bank just keep trying to blame each other. My bank also suggested " you should sign up for Paypal".That just added more anger and insult to injury.I finally got mad with the MP rep and demanded that my situation be escalated for resolution. He then frustrated me even further by telling me that their MP tech team will require and email from my bank stating that the funds have not been deposited for proof of my issue. No worries, I called the online customer service for my bank where it was explained to me that they were not able to send outgoing emails to customers ,only to branches of their bank and was told that they would send the email to my bank branch and then transferred me to the person the email was being sent too.....Or so they thought.I was transferred at least 6 times to other people (one in the investment dept) before I actually got put through to the phone line of the person in my branch and guess what?.... Had to leave a message on voicemail as the person was not available. 

This whole process has been a true pain. To say that I am angry and frustrated would be an understatement. I have had to put all my listings on "time away" mode so that I don't have an accumulation of money out in cyberspace that I will later need to prove that I did not receive. Effectively ,the new "easier way to get paid" is the only way one can still and sell here on Ebay yet ,that very same payment system has effectively shut me down from selling until it gets sorted out.

Sad part about this all is ,I am not the only one going thru similar issues. I really hope they can get me fixed up soon.

Message 49 of 56
latest reply

Received the email from to register before May.18th and get -20% reduction on the comission fees for june.

I do not want this f*cking MP system, as sales in $US on ebay.com, comes from my associated supplier and I Pay them with my paypal account in $USD.  I will need to wait for the funds to be able, will be a pain to refund partialy or full in some situation, cases or dispute.

It seems that if I do not register to MP before May.31st, all my listing will end and will not be automatically relisted.  Guess what, I am running spa & pool supply business, what a wonderfull time of the year to do that!

I am selling for the last 14 years and every time a spring up-date comes, they add another layers of "improvments" which every time are another hard time for seller, increasing management of issues with Ebay incompetant representatives.  

It still better to sells on ebay than Amazon.... I've tried last year.... they charges 16% comission fees and hold & freeze the money for ALL sellers for ALL items, for everyones, what ever your seller level is, for 3 weeks & half.  (10-days after product delivered to the buyers)

We will adapt...again...no other choices.

Message 50 of 56
latest reply

Im a seller on Ebay since 21 years,i have over 11000 listing

during all those years i had to accept many changement from ebay and many i was not agree but NOW never i will accept that they control my money. Ebay have to work for me not reverse.

The one who fill up the store with REAL product its me so if they loose all the sellers it will be a big website empty.

I will do my own alternative to ebay soon and beleive me i dont need them to make money.

The warning they sent me ,they will kick me out by june 15 if i dont used managed payment,well im ready go ahead put the switch to off but my inventory will go sell somewhere else.

Good luck to all the seller like me that was working so hard to built Ebay and one day you have nothing to say and they have no respect for you.

Message 51 of 56
latest reply

Just got the obligatory ultimatum, due on June 15th.

I am a non-commercial seller who's been using eBay for many years now, to clear up all the material clutter I've accumulated over the years. It was by far the most convenient way to do so for many things, and I liked that the profits went straight to my PayPal balance so I can spend it on other stuff later, without needing any interaction with my bank account (I never gave PayPal access to my bank account, and I liked it that way).

But now, eBay wants me to give them direct access to my bank account?? That's not gonna happen, period. Yes, I know I could open a separate bank account just for eBay, but again, I'm not a business, just a random nobody, why should I go through all this hassle just to sell some stuff, when the PayPal method worked perfectly fine?

Unless eBay backtracks on their greedy position to cut out PayPal and force direct bank account access down my throat, come June 15 they'll have lost me as a seller, and that's that. A real shame, because I don't think I'll ever find another platform with the vast buyer userbase that eBay has, but those new terms are simply unacceptable.

Message 52 of 56
latest reply

I ended my selling on eBay mid-April, l when I got the  April 29th deadline to sign up for MP. Have had 7 emails from eBay since then with the same sign up or else **bleep** & deadline dates, including the most recent June 15th deadline. eBay can send me all the messages it so desires- won't change a thing for me...

Yes, I am selling on another venue where I set up shop 2-1/2 years ago( a smaller, lesser known site with much less traffic; a site that still allows PayPal only &/or Stripe for bank account sellers); a very basic, no-hassle site which brings in a few sales per month with sales increasing and that works for me as I am just a casual,hobby seller who doesn't "need" the funds but enjoys the online selling experience.

Message 53 of 56
latest reply

"If you receive a $100 payment from your customer, eBay will charge YOU HST on the $100- about $13 if you are in Ontario."

eBay charges HST on their service being provided to you, that is HST on the final value fee, etc eBay charges you, not on $100 payment from the buyer, that would be way too much.

Message 54 of 56
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't sell anymore,  haven't been active in my account since the beginning of covid!  And ebay.ca does not recognize my cheque/savings account for managed payments...........ya a  lot of BS! 

Message 55 of 56
latest reply

you will need to contact eBay to get everything processed if you want to resume selling on eBay...maybe give chat line  a go ...seems to be better support there than with phone calls...

Message 56 of 56
latest reply