12% final value fee?

I just noticed that I am being charged 12% Final Value Fees on all my US Sales. What is happening? When did this increase happen?

I am NOT in the managed payments system and I did NOT add the Promoted listing option. Did I miss the memo?

tyler@ebay 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 12% final value fee?

Are the .com listings in the books category?
Books and some media categories on .com went up to 12% earlier this year.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Ya ...I noticed that today and I went to Managed Payments which is not a great feature, If you are registered in Canada, those US funds or foreign funds get converted to CDN at a poor rate and then deposited into your Cdn bank account.  Oh ya they add an international selling fee too! 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Do you mean the sales that you have listed on dotCOM? Or sales to US customers that were originally listed on dotCA?

If you make a lot of US dollar sales (from dotCOM listings) you could look into opening an American bank account.

Not a Canadian bank account in US dollars, an account with an American bank.

Two that are happy to work with Canadian merchants (and snowbirds) are RBCBank and TDNorth. They are, obviously, tied in to Canadian banks.

The advantage is that you can pay your USD fees and purchases from the USD account, and you Canadian fees and purchases from  your existing Canadian account.

Paypal is used by many other companies. I have purchased magazine subscriptions, clothing and philatelic material from non-eBay sellers using our US bank account.

When I move USD to Canada, my US bank sends it directly to my Canadian USD account. When I want to withdraw for use in Canada, I only have to pay one set of currency exchange.

When we went to Hawaii in Jan 2017, we used the USD credit card from our RBCBank account, again saving international banking fees.

This works well for us because it was originally connected to our business, which was closed when we retired. I also opened one for my micro-business online, but the fees were high enough that just having the Canadian account was acceptable in spite of the double currency exchange.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Managed Payments only allows us to attach one bank account and that has to be domestic (Canadian).

With PP we can attach multiple bank accounts, including Canadian and American. I suppose it would also be possible to add another from a European bank.  Which is why I am holding out on agreeing to move to Managed Payments.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Many categories have even lower fees :

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/fees.html#fees-table

I'm not sure if these apply across the board or only to Store subscribers.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The international fee is similar to the extra amount that we had to pay in PP when a buyer in another country made a purchase. In PP it wasn’t as obvious.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Yes, they are magazines I listed on the US site in US$. Oh my God... I didn't know the increase in fees in that category. And I made a special price for my buyer because he bought many magazines at once.... if I knew, I would have stayed on the Canadian side. This sucks! My profit just decreased even more than I thought....

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I feel your pain! ☹️

Message 9 of 9
latest reply