3 Months since ebay suspended new listings/edits because I won't join the MP scam

and they still have not ended my existing listings even thought they started to threaten that back in April. I did however cancel my premium store subscription yesterday so Ebay is losing the $59.95/mth i've been paying them for about seven or eight years now. The sales on here just aren't consistent enough to justify the store account even if they hadn't instituted managed payments. Also I don't need Ebay at all. I posted a couple thousand in bicycling items on various facebook groups & marketplace on tuesday, half of it has already sold i less than 48 hours and every buyer opted for interac E-transfer payment instead of paypal (so no fees deducted at all on my end). The only problem I've run into is facebook's guidelines algorithm flags the word bomb out of "bomber", which is the name of a model of mountain bike suspension fork. There are a few other bicycling industry brands/model names that trip the algorithm up also (FB marketplace hasn't apparently learned about brand/trade/model names using the same words as say terrorists use).  So to the rest of you i offer the advice, whatever you're selling, consider searching facebook marketplace for the same things, there might very well be others already selling there and dedicated classified groups for the same products you're trying to sell on ebay.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: 3 Months since ebay suspended new listings/edits because I won't join the MP scam

Not sure why you think Managed Payments is a scam.

Very badly implemented, certainly.

But basically it returns eBay to the same position it was in before it was forced to sell off Paypal in 2015.

Perhaps as part of introducing MP, eBay has been offering many Free Listing promotions.

I downgraded one of my Stores from Premium to Basic, without losing any "free" listings, although I do have to check each month to see that I don't exceed my quota.

Good to hear you are finding customers on alternate sites. Like many other sellers, eBay is only one of the venues I use, although at the moment it is the primary one.

And eTransfers are great for sellers. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Re: 3 Months since ebay suspended new listings/edits because I won't join the MP scam

I don't understand the scam comment either.  It's certainly not a perfect system but it definitely isnt a scam.

I also don't understand the need for some sellers/former sellers to keep posting how they have decided not to sign up for MP.  That is absolutely their choice, I just don't get why they have to keep telling us that. 

shrugs

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I also don't understand the need for some sellers/former sellers to keep posting how they have decided not to sign up for MP.  That is absolutely their choice, I just don't get why they have to keep telling us that. 

shrugs

I guess they feel they have to "wound" eBay somehow.  Many of these posters don't seem to appreciate that the money eBay gets is ultimately from buyers, not sellers, and all these buyers have to do is find other sellers (who are now benefiting from the reduced competition) selling similar merchandise.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply