500 Character Seller-Buyer Feedback - Who's running the pool on how quick this will go away? :)

All I have to say to say...

Rename Feedback

"Pandora's Box" 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

500 Character Seller-Buyer Feedback - Who's running the pool on how quick this will go away? :)

I first read that as 500 Words (I was quickly corrected) and was saying that 500 words is a good day's work for my writer friends.

I give it six months. And predict that the 500 characters will suddenly become 100 with no announcement.

Most sane members manage with  20-50 characters. If they are chatty.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I seem to be more positive than most perhaps about this.

I'm especially happy with it in terms of being able to reply to feedback received, 80 characters was too little. 

In fact you can see that I've already used it to reply to a negative comment in a positive feedback in the recent past.

I wish it was in place when I replied to the latest neutral, there was a significant language barrier there, the buyer really misinterpreted the situation (they were saying how many stamps they needed as opposed to how many in the lot!!!) and I couldn't say much in 80 characters.

Based on what I see buyers normally leave the same feedback over and over again, many use Chrome autopopulate or the likes (because from time to time one gets a "e" for feedback because they screwed up the selection from the population and meant to pick their normal "excellent material 5 star seller" (or whatever)).

The time it will likely be a problem is if the buyer has issues, they can go into much more detail about what is the problem. Of course I can reply with an equal amount of detail too.

This is much like google ratings, I know when my wife is looking up stuff she checks them out and uses them as a guideline....

Time will tell.....

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Rename Feedback

"Pandora's Box" 

Was there an announcement somewhere about this?

-Lotz

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

There was on the .COM side...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/We-re-increasing-the-character-limit-for-feedback/ba-p/3... 

Thanks. It's like that old saying. Miss a day....Miss a lot. When it comes to updates eBay Canada is almost non-existant or at best veryyyyyyyyyyyy (tape) delayed.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

I didn't know that eBay had changed the number of characters for leaving feedback.  But the last buyer who left feedback for me left a much longer comment than normal.  So that makes sense now.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

This new system also allows you to reply in up to 500 characters. 

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

I didn't see one.  This started happening in my feedbacks back in the middle of February. 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

So far so good! I received my first "extended" feedback a couple of days ago.......

My head exploded with all the gushing compliments, thank you's and superlatives.

Probably not related but it coincided with a buyer from Chile contacting me who wanted to know if he could repay me for the  INR refund I gave him in mid-March. Apparently Correos came through (84 days after the origin ship date, 68 days after it arrived in Santiago!).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Six months may be a good guess. It would be surprising to see it going thru  November December January...

I'm not picking sides.  It will be more much fun to read everyone's feedbacks! When I get one in a foreign language I have it "Google translated" and even then I can't figure out what it means.  so I then write a response and have that "Google translated".. LOL

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Rename Feedback

"Pandora's Box" 

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Rename Feedback

"Pandora's Box" 

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

I'm dying to know how long your response was... Be careful about long sloppy replies.  You may have surprise house guests! 

With respect to the long delivery time, Kevin from Commonwealth Picker just posted a YT vid about a return request he recd from Mexico 70 days after shipping it!

Apparently you came out much better!  Nice!

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Spotted my first extended Response on dotCOM from a seller -- fewer words would have done her better. She used the extra to blame USPS for slow delivery, although in her post about the problem, the delivery was not yet late.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

It wasn't a terrible Response, but ....

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Spotted my first extended Response on dotCOM from a seller -- fewer words would have done her better. She used the extra to blame USPS for slow delivery, although in her post about the problem, the delivery was not yet late.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

It wasn't a terrible Response, but ....

Lots of buyers seem to like to blame sellers for slow or expensive postage. Not entirely sure why sellers should have to own those issues?

Seeing as per the US announcement seeing how important feedback is considered by eBay maybe next step will be to bring back the option for sellers to leave Negs and Neutrals for buyers. Hey, just spitballing!!!

-Lotz

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I was waiting for that! Sorry to see you had the 1st report. Pandora's Box will certainly become a nucleous for Buyer shipping issues.
Message 15 of 27
latest reply

I see you dont listen to the eBay for Bus podcasts. For 5 years Griff has downplayed feedback. "No one reads it" "Its no longer important". Well guess what? Since 2 weeks ago Griff is raving about the new feedback! One thing for sure. Its going to be interesting to watch this play out.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Hello

eBay includes this change in it's "eBay For Business" April 2 youtube video. I can't post the link of course but you can find it On youtube. Search "Marketplace updates, live demos and managing disputes and claims | March Seller Check-In".

The touchy feedback subject comes up at 3:10.  I recommend watching the entire 1 hour video. A lot of new subjects are addressed like sports cards. That said many may subjects apply only to dot com. This is a USA Seller Check In not a Canadian version.

Questions

• eBay's reason for this change is because the competition does it.  Many high volume online outlets IE Home Depot, Canadian Tire and Amazon allow more than 80 characters.
  • Most of these customer remarks are  "Product Reviews" about specific products. Is there a  difference between "Feedback" and a "Product Review"?
  • What is different about eBay Sellers and Amazon Sellers?
  • Should shipping costs and/or delays be part of Feedback when eBay has established rules, protocols and penalties in place  as a staus quo that Sellers must comply to?
  • eBay  Canada opened a shipping label business. Shouldn't buyers with complaints about shipping be directed to eBay instead of Sellers?
  • When a buyer is asked to provide feedback why doesn't eBay direct all product and service remarks to Sellers and all shipping remarks to eBay Shipping?
  • Should 3rd party sellers of shipping labels (all are mega million dollar businesses) force Sellers (Moms & Pops) to take ALL the flak and do ALL the work when a buyer has a late, missing or damaged order? 

InTime will tell...

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:
I see you dont listen to the eBay for Bus podcasts. For 5 years Griff has downplayed feedback. "No one reads it" "Its no longer important". Well guess what? Since 2 weeks ago Griff is raving about the new feedback! One thing for sure. Its going to be interesting to watch this play out.

The few times I've tried to listen to one of their podcasts I've nodded off. Bulk of it never applies to your casual at home seller suggesting things that are not feasible. And when there has been Q & A included you see the usual "We will take that into consideration' which basically means "Isn't gonna happen!!!!"

-Lotz

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

I agree that those other sites with 'feedback' are for product reviews.   Ebay seler feedback has traditionally been for seller performance including whether or not the item was as described, NOT a review of the actual product.

Some of the things that a buyer may complain about shipping include the cost, the length of time it took the seller to ship, how long it took for the item to arrive and when there is shipping damage.  How does the fact that a seller may use ebay's platform to print their label makes it ebay's fault for any of those things?  eBay does give an eta depending on the service the seller indicated in the listing but its been that way for a long time, that has nothing to do with ebay labels and it is still the seller's decision on which service they put in the listing.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

You're right. It is dry. I can't remember her name but it was  more engaging  when Griff had the radio station co host a few years back.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply