Advice for Seller Shipping from Canada AND USA

I live near the US border, and have the option to ship via USPS to US customers. I'm uncertain of the correct way to post these items, so that both my American and Canadian customers have access. Two options I can think of:

A) List on CA, selecting Standard Int'l shipping (or some generic option).

B) List on COM, setting item location to the location of the USPS post office where it actually ships from.

I've read a few threads suggesting the latter. In this case, isn't the location inaccurate for potential Canadian customers? And won't Candian customers be wrongly charged the import taxes that Ebay automatically collects for international purchases? I've also read something about the option to specify multiple item locations from other threads, but I dont see this option anywhere when creating a listing... maybe it's not possible anymore?

Sorry if this is a rehash of previous questions. I know the COM vs CA question has been done to death, but I haven't seen a ton of border town specific questions that were up to date, and none that answered my questions.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

KISS.

If you have to ship by Canada Post, use dotCOM to list anything that can move by LetterPost, with its fixed rates based on weight.

And use dotCA to list items that have to move by parcel post, with changing rates based on dimensions, weight and above all Destination.

But if your plan is to ship from the USA-- and you have done enough test runs to know how long the return trip will take including time at the border and the cost of your NEXUX card-- list everything on dotCOM with Calculated Shipping from the US zipcode of the post office you will be dropping your items at.

Be aware that carrying your parcels across the border may be interpreted by some US Customs officers as "working" in the USA, which requires a green card.

This came up around the turn of the millennium when stamp dealers who used to do trade shows in the US regularly started being turned back at the border for just that reason.

And won't Candian customers be wrongly charged the import taxes that Ebay automatically collects for international purchases?

No, because they don't. 

With the exception of the GSP,

your Canadian duty and sales taxes on imports are collected on your doorstep by the carrier

and because you would be shipping from Canada to Canada. 

But on that second group, if you list on dotCOM, you must use Flat Rate Shipping and that would be a problem for parcel rates which vary by destination.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

marnotom!
Community Member

What import taxes are automatically collected by eBay from Canadian buyers?  Are you thinking of US (and UK) sellers who use the Global Shipping Program?  That's the only instance I can think of where Canadian buyers would be charged at point of purchase the equivalent of taxes and duties for items purchased from outside of Canada, and not all US (or UK) sellers use that program for shipping to Canada (thought it may seem like it sometimes).

My wife and I are pretty much retired from selling on eBay now, so feel free to disregard much of this old man rambling in favour of what current sellers will be posting here.   I looked at your listings and by the looks of things, you don't exclude buyers from outside of the US and Canada from purchasing your items, so if you're interested in entertaining sales from other countries besides US and us, you may want to give some thought to including additional shipping rates with your listings.

I say that because the US dollar is the closest thing we have to an internationally-recognized currency.  Most non-US buyers worth their salt have some idea of what a US dollar is worth.  Our experience as sellers is that some European buyers thought the Canadian dollar was fixed at par with the US dollar and that some US buyers couldn't wrap their heads around exchange rates.  If you think your items are going to see more interest from non-Canadian buyers than Canadian buyers, I'd consider listing on .com.

I don't really get the point of using a US location in your listings.  The listing is asking for the item location, not the shipping location.  It may affect search results depending on whether potential buyers are using filters when doing their searching, and there are some buyers who do seek out items located in Canada.  You can still have a Canadian location in your listings if you list on .com.  If your items show up as having a US location, some Canadian buyers may shy away from them thinking they may get charged taxes and duty (if applicable) upon receipt of the item, if they're looking at trying to sidestep those charges and/or the rigamarole involved in paying them after the fact.

I'll leave others to dispense advice based on more current practices.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

KISS.

If you have to ship by Canada Post, use dotCOM to list anything that can move by LetterPost, with its fixed rates based on weight.

And use dotCA to list items that have to move by parcel post, with changing rates based on dimensions, weight and above all Destination.

But if your plan is to ship from the USA-- and you have done enough test runs to know how long the return trip will take including time at the border and the cost of your NEXUX card-- list everything on dotCOM with Calculated Shipping from the US zipcode of the post office you will be dropping your items at.

Be aware that carrying your parcels across the border may be interpreted by some US Customs officers as "working" in the USA, which requires a green card.

This came up around the turn of the millennium when stamp dealers who used to do trade shows in the US regularly started being turned back at the border for just that reason.

And won't Candian customers be wrongly charged the import taxes that Ebay automatically collects for international purchases?

No, because they don't. 

With the exception of the GSP,

your Canadian duty and sales taxes on imports are collected on your doorstep by the carrier

and because you would be shipping from Canada to Canada. 

But on that second group, if you list on dotCOM, you must use Flat Rate Shipping and that would be a problem for parcel rates which vary by destination.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Our experience as sellers is that some European buyers thought the Canadian dollar was fixed at par with the US dollar and that some US buyers couldn't wrap their heads around exchange rates.

But if the buyer is looking at a dotCA listing on another site (dotCOM  /USdollas or dotDE/ euros for example) the asking price and shipping cost will show in the currency of that site as well as in loonies.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Thanks for the advice. My assumptions about import taxes were based on recent purchases from the US, but as you say, all of these sellers had opted into the GSP. I hadn't tied the two together.

Just to verify, Ebay doesn't have an issue with your item location being inaccurate if you list your item location as the US post office, but still ship via Canada Post from your Canadian city of residence?
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Just to clarify that last comment:
At the time I create a listing, I have to specify an item location. If I specify the US postal office, everything is good if a US customer buys. However, if a Canadian customer buys, I'd still be shipping from my native Canadian address, despite what the listing says... just want to make sure that ebay wont flag this as inaccurate.
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Since the reason for the location is to help the buyer understand how long delivery is likely to be and whether he is likely to have duty to pay on arrival,

if you are shipping from Canada, use your Canadian location.

If you are shipping from the USA, use the location of your US post office.

FWIW, US residents can import $800 worth of goods duty-free, but if you plan to do this regularly, you will need that NEXUS card. I don't travel to the US and am not familiar with how it works, but it seems to be quite important.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Right. I guess what I'm getting at is that I'd like to be able to ship from Canada if my item sells to a Canadian customer, OR ship from the US if it sells to a US customer, from the same listing. Since the item location is specified at the time the listing is created, and not at the time of sale.
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

If you are going to ship using Canada Post to Canadians and you are listing on .com you wouldn't specify usps, you would have to specify a flat rate amount with 'standard' 'economy' or 'expedited' international shipping. (everything outside of the US is 'international' on .com.) 

I doubt that you can cross the border just to mail something until the borders open again so you in order to use usps you would have  to use  a forwarder like Chit Chat.  I have no idea if there are companies like that in your area.

As far as specifying your location, I think that some Canadian sellers do use the US city that they will be shipping from but I've also seen those who use their home city and then use a flat ship for shipping within the US as well.   There are probably disadvantages and advantages to doing it either way and I'm not sure how eBay looks at it or if either way has caused a problem with buyers.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. That seems consistent with what I've seen from other sellers on Ebay as well.
I use a courier service in town that's still able to cross the border with parcels.
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

but I've also seen those who use their home city and then use a flat ship for shipping within the US as well.  

Yes.

And with crossing the border to ship, whether by a forwarder like chitchat or driving over yourself, that Flat Rate should include a small time allowance for the inevitable delay.

At this point, considering the border closing (and if you can find it read David Frum's piece in the Atlantic about his border experience as a dual citizen/returning American this summer) it's probably best to build your business from your home address -- unless you do have access to a forwarder.

Keep in mind too that some items can be shipped LetterPost (under 2cm and 500 gr) which would be the cheapest service, but cannot be tracked.

I'll let you research Cookie Jar Insurance for that, there are lots of discussions here.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

FWIW, US residents can import $800 worth of goods duty-free, but if you plan to do this regularly, you will need that NEXUS card. I don't travel to the US and am not familiar with how it works, but it seems to be quite important.

You are not familiar..? Well ..... it's quite obvious! 

Crossing the border using NEXUS card with ANY commercial goods is a criminal offense. Want to have a free food and accommodation in US jail? Cross the border using NEXUS line with your Ebay parcels 😉  Good luck! 😉

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

What is the name of the "fast crossing"  license for those carrying goods then?

From what you say, NEXUS is for commuters or other constant travellers?

One problem stamp dealers ran into when the US tightened its border after 9/11 was that they were deemed to be "working" in the USA when they went down for a show, and they were selling so the descision was not entirely wrong-headed, and would need a green card to go to even a single show each year. Canada was no better, using the GST to discourage US dealers from entering Canada with their show stock.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

What is the name of the "fast crossing"  license for those carrying goods then?

From what you say, NEXUS is for commuters or other constant travellers?

One problem stamp dealers ran into when the US tightened its border after 9/11 was that they were deemed to be "working" in the USA when they went down for a show, and they were selling so the descision was not entirely wrong-headed, and would need a green card to go to even a single show each year. Canada was no better, using the GST to discourage US dealers from entering Canada with their show stock.

The Chit chats service is all you need - it's cheap, and they do all necessary US Customs paperwork for you.

Here some more info about NEXUS: 

Lately, a number of clients have called with incident reports involving either the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) or U.S. Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) confiscating NEXUS passes from business travelers because the traveler had commercial goods in the NEXUS line/lane. In all cases, the business traveler properly declared the value of the goods and/or their possession of the goods. The infraction was being in the wrong line/lane with their commercial goods.
The CBSA and USCBP remind the business traveler of a short statement in the brochures (NEXUS Membership Guide) about NEXUS privileges that travelers cannot use the NEXUS lane when they have commercial goods. The instructions state:
“If you have any commercial goods in your possession or baggage or on board the vehicle/recreational boat upon arrival in Canada or the United States, you may not use NEXUS in the air, land or marine modes of transportation. Commercial goods are defined as goods brought into Canada or the United States for sale or for any commercial, industrial, occupational, institutional or other similar use and include samples, tools and warranty repair parts.”
One business traveler had a sample of a ware in his briefcase and informed the border officer. One business traveler in the jewelry business returned to Canada with a piece of jewelry and inputted information in the automated kiosk the value of that item. One business traveler purchased business cards overseas (with certain information translated). One business traveler was returning to Canada with banners used in a trade show in the United States. One business traveler was going to a convention in the United States with a box of brochures. All these business travelers had their NEXUS cards confiscated.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

So which lane do truckers use?

And of course, couriers and businesspeople carrying small amounts of goods?

Surely there is a specialized service for commercial travel?

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

So which lane do truckers use?

And of course, couriers and businesspeople carrying small amounts of goods?

Surely there is a specialized service for commercial travel?

All of this has absolutely nothing to do with NEXUS. The subject has been already discussed here many times in the past. Years ago, people crossed the border with Ebay packages without any problem. Then, a "license" has been introduced, which was more and more expensive. Then, customs agents started to do problems. Nowadays, I would never ever try to cross the border with any parcel. But the solution is already there and is named CHIT CHATS - they do all job for you. I am more than DELIGHTED with their service. I just print USPS labels at home, then I bring all packages to them. They put my parcels on their truck, do all necessary customs paperwork, and cross the border. An example: CP small packet, 250 g - costs 8.50, delivery within 10 days. With Chit Chats the same parcel costs 6 dollars, WITH TRACKING (YES!), 5 days delivery. Should I ask for more?   

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Maybe you needn’t ask for more, but sellers on Vancouver Island might. 😜
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Looks like he doesn't know what the commercial license is called.  Does anyone else?

I have no use for it myself, but the OP may need it if he does decide to run his shipments across the border to the USA.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

I am on Vancouver Island, and last time I did the math, I still saved around 20% on shipping to the USA by using Chit Chats, even with paying Purolator to take a box of parcels every week to them.  Worth the price with how easy they make it. And now that they have cheap rates for Canada, I too won't ask for more. I love my Chit Chats.  🙂

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

My own saving are based on an apparently endless supply of discount postage.

Amazing what you find in postage lots- we sold a lovely example of the Star Trek issue's "borg cube" today at the Victoria Stamp Show that Canada Post forgot to tell anyone existed.  One more happy collector.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply