Aeropost Scam

Just wanted to throw this out there as a warning and to see if anyone has advice on how to win this.

Scam works like this:

Buyer has the package sent to a freight forwarder (Aeropost in this case, which I think is a legit forwarder) but they purposely put the wrong zip code, one that is about 10 miles away from the real address. USPS is smart enough to know where this large freight forwarder is and they deliver it successfully. The problem is the tracking number shows it delivered to the correct Zip code, but this doesn't match the false zip code the buyer used in their address. The buyer claims item not received, Ebay checks the tracking and sees that the zip code doesn't match, sides with the buyer, and I'm out $300.

Has anyone ever experienced this before and won? I've reachout to Ebay for business and all that but they basically say tough luck.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Aeropost Scam

Not one I've heard before.

Hmmm.

I wonder if this would come under Undeliverable mail, since the zipcode was wrong and the shipment had to be redirected before delivery?

The thing about Undeliverable mail is that the seller is not required to refund. (Ethically of course....)

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Aeropost Scam

I'm not clear whether you talked with someone in person or not?

If it is a scam, then you won't be the only one, if you have a "person" CSR on the phone, they can see how many of these have happened by that buyer (you'll of course be reporting the buyer, yours actually fits the description that it was tracked and shows delivery).

I'm surprised you're automagically out of luck because you have tracking and it shows delivered, despite it being rerouted to a different zip code, most especially if they can see that this has happened to others and that everything about the address was correct except the zip code. (to my mind this would mean that if there's a legitimate typo we're still burned even if it gets there).

The problem with the forwarded stuff is that it is taking forever to get to the forwarder these days and then it has to go wherever it is supposed to go after that, so very long delivery times are resulting. It might be possible that the wrong code was a legitimate error and the actual buyer doesn't yet have it due to the "normal" current delays getting stuff to the forwarder and then onward. In this case there of course won't be any other examples because the buyer isn't a scammer, just a bad typer.

For sure I would talk with a live person on this, if you haven't already. 

tyler@ebay might have suggestions as well....

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Aeropost Scam

I sell only to Canada and USA. I always check the ship to address on Canada Post site or USPS site before processing the order. Most are correct but a few buyers in Canada have issues with address being new and not in Canada Post site. So I make a note that it may have address issues using Note option in Seller Hub. I then use the address given by the buyer. I also check the buyer feedback to see recent transactions. So far no issues.

This is my buying and posting ID.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Aeropost Scam

Breaking news: this is tentatively looking good now. I did eventually get someone at Ebay for Business FB who understood what happened and put a note on the case to rule in my favour tomorrow. (shoutout to Carl) That said, I do suspect a CC chargeback after the fact so probably not out of the woods.

This has definitely happened to a lot of sellers before, Google "1 Aeropost Way" for some reviews.

I generally give buyers the benefit of the doubt but this particular buyer either refuses to communicate, or just copy and pastes the same sentence. I'm not even sure why they were allowed to open an Item Not received because it hasn't even been close to the deadline for shipping arrival. I set to "economy shipping" so the estimated time is 45 days, but this actually delivered in 5 business days.

Typically I do not have any issues with freight forwarders, and the buyers are quite gracious in their feedback, so i didn't give this one a second look when the order came in.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Aeropost Scam

@travis7s wrote:

This has definitely happened to a lot of sellers before, Google "1 Aeropost Way" for some reviews.

I had an inklin' that was the address you were talking about.  I myself have a package that's been stuck on its way there for 2½ months.  It was low-value ($20), and the buyer had 5-digit feedback, so I figured I'd take the bait, making sure to mark it as "don't return, just destroy".  I guess this is what happened, even though USPS insists that it is "still on its way".

Surprisingly, I haven't been hit with an INR.  Either the buyer is honest and aware of the situation, or I'll get a chargeback after 179 days.  Time will tell.

Still, looking back, I'd suggest any seller who encounters this address to cancel and move on.  The Google reviews speak for themselves (even if half of them are from sellers who did cancel, and therefore have no real basis for their rating).

Message 6 of 6
latest reply