All fees converted to US

I mostly list on .ca but recently, I sold a few things on .com so I wonder why the fees for the Can. sales are converted to US.  Also Paypal are converting the Can. $ to US.  Now when I go to withdraw, I have to pay conversion fees again.  I have never had a US account, so what's going on.  Since I can't withdraw US funds to my bank account, I feel ripped off.  I am a Canadian selling the occasional item on .com, but all of a sudden Paypal and ebay thinks I'm American. 

Could use a little help here,  Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

All fees converted to US

Which currencies do you have set up to receive on your account?

I am able to maintain a balance in CAD, USD, AUD The British Pound, and the Euro. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

All fees converted to US

Go to your Wallet and Manage Currencies.

Then check Payments under your Preferences to see how that is set-up.

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 9.29.42 PM.png

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

All fees converted to US

I always had both Can. and US, and could withdraw both independently, (with US converted to can).  Since the fees in my seller acct. also show in US, I'm thinking I should  probably contact CS.  Just hope I don't get the off shore gang in the Philippines.  

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

All fees converted to US

Maybe there was an announcement we've overlooked. I don't pay much attention to paypal policy changes but there could have been something that arose in the past few weeks or even months about this. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

All fees converted to US

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/PayPal-Canada-Community/ct-p/Canada

Maybe someone in Paypal Community can explain. There's probably knowledgeable people afoot.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

All fees converted to US

@pinetreecottage wrote:

I mostly list on .ca but recently, I sold a few things on .com so I wonder why the fees for the Can. sales are converted to US.  Also Paypal are converting the Can. $ to US.  Now when I go to withdraw, I have to pay conversion fees again.  I have never had a US account, so what's going on.  Since I can't withdraw US funds to my bank account, I feel ripped off.  I am a Canadian selling the occasional item on .com, but all of a sudden Paypal and ebay thinks I'm American.

eBay.ca fees are charged in the currency you select (check to make sure that hasn't been changed)

https://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/billing-currency.html

Paypal: Check to see what you have set as your primary currency.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-currencies

-..-

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

All fees converted to US

Thanks. It seems that somehow my billing currency has been set to US $, when I tried to switch to Can. I got in red, UNFORTUNATELY WE CANNOT SWITCH YOUR BILLING CURRENCY and then, please contact CS.  Since I have never changed anything for 15 years something isn't right.  I have always paid my fees every couple of weeks, when I had good sales, so as not to get a big bill at the end of the month.  I have a $0 balance so that's not the reason.  Just another conundrum.  Since  my current listings have had absolutely 0 views for days on end, it may all be academic.  

Thanks for the good info.   Will try again in the morning.  New day.  Fresh eyes.  Cheers.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

All fees converted to US

@pinetreecottage wrote:

Thanks. It seems that somehow my billing currency has been set to US $, when I tried to switch to Can. I got in red, UNFORTUNATELY WE CANNOT SWITCH YOUR BILLING CURRENCY and then, please contact CS.  Since I have never changed anything for 15 years something isn't right.  I have always paid my fees every couple of weeks, when I had good sales, so as not to get a big bill at the end of the month.  I have a $0 balance so that's not the reason.  Just another conundrum.  Since  my current listings have had absolutely 0 views for days on end, it may all be academic.  

Thanks for the good info.   Will try again in the morning.  New day.  Fresh eyes.  Cheers.

Yes, your eBay billing currency is set by you as seller, and most of us set it up initially and leave it.  I set mine to $CDN years ago and it has remained that way, although I sell mostly on .com.  It's not an issue that has anything to do with your Paypal account if you already have a $USD and a $CDN Paypal currency set up. 

I think I'd definitely contact CS, if you can stand dealing with them.  Be persistent.  Normally a seller is only allowed to change eBay billing currency once per year, and even at that it's a big rigmarole.  I tried it once, then gave up as it seemed far too much trouble, so it isn't something that should just occur spontaneously.

Best of luck with this.   

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

All fees converted to US

@pinetreecottage wrote:

.... It seems that somehow my billing currency has been set to US $, when I tried to switch to Can. I got in red, UNFORTUNATELY WE CANNOT SWITCH YOUR BILLING CURRENCY and then, please contact CS.  Since I have never changed anything for 15 years something isn't right. 

Currency switches are only allowed once every 12 months, so if the change to US$ was recent that's why you'd see that message.

Are you the only one with access to your account?

I'd also check your computer for malware, in case someone has hacked your computer.

It might be eBay screwing up the database, and your account was one of those changed -- I'm trying to remember when ebay created eBay.ca from ebay.com -- so you might be an account with old feet... that get stepped on...

-..-

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

All fees converted to US

Yes nobody else uses my computer, so I think you're right.  There has been other changes.  When I go to list, I get a variety of options.  The old style page and two others.  One looks like a page for beginners.  Not being too technically savvy, I hope I can figure this out.  I have Kaspersky security.  It says my computer is protected, but I guess the bad guys can get around that.

If it's ebay making the changes, not much I can do about that.  I dred having to call CS, but it may come to that.

Thanks again.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply