Anyone know how to post Canada to South Korea over 4lbs?

Recently a buyer purchased a package from South Korea so we accepted the offer. It turns out Canada Post has a 3lbs. limit on parcels! Our parcel is 4.2 lbs. and we don't know how to mail the parcel and are worried we'll have to cancel.

Does anyone in Canada know of a way to post to South Korea? And/or does the dreaded Global SHipment Program post overweight packages to their destination?

(Pre-Covid USPS was our go-to shipper for obvious reasons (cheaper to ship and we could get US gas and groceries on the same trip 🙂 USPS labels were purchased through PayPal or eBay as we used to post on eBay.com pre-eBay managed payments. South Korea has always been a welcome destination and we've had zero difficulties with shipping there, however infrequently. So ... does anyone know how to purchase a USPS label from Canada?)

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Are you near a chitchat or stallion forwarder?

I'm not so I can't use their services, but they do ship to USPS and fees are supposed to be very reasonable.

You can still buy USPS labels on Shippo, but the problem of getting the parcel across the border is still there.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thanks @femmefan1946 ! We do have a local courier service and will check into Shippo, if they do USPS it might just work! *fingers crossed*

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

The thing with chitchat is that they are selling you (I think discounted) USPS postage and their charges are to take the parcel across the border to the USPS.

They are not couriers exactly. A better description would be freight forwarder.

But as I say, they get a lot of happy comments on the Boards.
I can't use them even though I can see the USA from my back porch.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Whoops, heh.

Signed into Shippo and South Korea isn't an option for Canada Post or USPS which is odd given both offer services there.

We're also from the "can see the states but oddly can't courier ship there" program. A google search turns up that ChitChats may be running a pilot program in our area, we may attemp to give them a go. They must have started it during Covid when locals were suddenly denied their regular easy crossing privileges.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Nope, South Korea isn't an option through Chit Chats either. Strange, its not like I'm trying to post to North Korea or something. *le sigh*

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected wrote:

Recently a buyer purchased a package from South Korea so we accepted the offer. It turns out Canada Post has a 3lbs. limit on parcels!

This isn't accurate - where did you get this information?

There is a maximum weight of 2 kg for Small/Tracked packet - is that what you're thinking of?

Anything greater than 2 kg (and up to 30 kg) can be mailed to South Korea via either International Parcel-Surface, or Xpresspost International (although that can get pretty expensive).

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Who told you 3 pounds?

Canada Post Small Packet Air to South Korea has a limit of 2kg (4.4 pounds)

Dimension limit (L+W+H) of 90 cm (about 35 inches)

-;-

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Thank you @dinomitesales & @ypdc_dennis for encouraging me to try again. Both the eBay shipping calculator and canada post calculators would not show an option for a package and the cpc one gave the 3lb limit - no idea why! I tried for a third time this evening and it went through fine with the dimensions and weight exceeding those used yesterday. - Looks like we are shipping afterall! *phew* saved sale.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

You may be better off to go to a Post Office in person with your packed up parcel for them to weigh it and provide a shipping quote.  If you do not have a discount card they will give you a number to use, and it will give you about 5% off. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

and the cpc one gave the 3lb limit - no idea why!

That may be the error-- Canada Post went metric in 1974 and any othere measuring system will give erratic results.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

never mind 🙂

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected wrote:

Recently a buyer purchased a package from South Korea so we accepted the offer. It turns out Canada Post has a 3lbs. limit on parcels! Our parcel is 4.2 lbs. and we don't know how to mail the parcel and are worried we'll have to cancel.

Does anyone in Canada know of a way to post to South Korea? And/or does the dreaded Global SHipment Program post overweight packages to their destination?

(Pre-Covid USPS was our go-to shipper for obvious reasons (cheaper to ship and we could get US gas and groceries on the same trip 🙂 USPS labels were purchased through PayPal or eBay as we used to post on eBay.com pre-eBay managed payments. South Korea has always been a welcome destination and we've had zero difficulties with shipping there, however infrequently. So ... does anyone know how to purchase a USPS label from Canada?)

Heads up for anyone considering shipping to S. Korea

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected  Were you able to find someone to take your parcel to S. Korea? Had a smaller(500 grams) low value item go first of the year. They were open to CP with tracked service. Item processed on the 4 th of January. Shows delivered according to the tracking link on the 17th. As per customer no issues with customs. Almost quicker than trying to get something to rural Maritimes.

-Lotz

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hey there ,@lotzofuniquegoodies Yes, all good. Think I may have hit a strange setting or other originally but worked it out. The delivery time was also fantastic if I recall correctly. Have a parcel to go out to the maritimes today ... however with todays snowfall its unlikely. From 0 to Full Winter in 6 hrs!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply