Anyone noticing a sales increase trend lately?

Here's a positive note. Beginning late June, sales are back to normal again. Anyone else seeing this trend? I swear, there must have been an eBay problem throughout May & June. In 18 years, I have never seen such  a sudden downward trend in sales, followed by such a massive upturn.  Something changed in eBay, because it sure wasn't anything that I did.  Hmmm...

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

knock on wood, and rub your rabbit's foot, because it isn't across the board, ebay is messing with too many things, and a lot of seller's are being left in the dark..

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

nope - I've had zero sales in weeks now and only a couple of lowball offers!

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Definitely not an increase - I sold 4 items in June and nothing in July.  I am not understanding what is going on.  I have discounted my items, changed shipping to ship free and nothing changed - all my items have 0 views - it's like no one is even looking at my items which is unusual as a seller always gets views, maybe not people watching, but views definitely.  No offers, nothing is moving.  Can anyone share some of their knowledge with me on what I should be doing.  I am just paying listing fees and not getting any money out of it for myself.  I have a "no return" policy could this be the issue.  I have been selling for a few years and I never had a problem with this before.  I am not a store so I cannot afford to be paying too much for shipping or I might as well not be selling.  Help!

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

I am noticing the same thing, no views, no sales.  I used to have a return policy and now as the items come up I am changing it to no returns.  So I don't think that is it.  

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

A while back I became aware that all of my domestic listings had not been changed from 30 days buyer pays return shipping but the international returns were set to no returns.

Luckily rhe return settings are something the bulk editor can be relied on to handle. So within a few minutes I had all my listings updated to 30 days buyer pays return shipping for both domestic and international.

Within a couple days I started seeing sales to US and International buyers again.

I've no evidence but my feeling is that eBay was not showing my listings as often in search with international set to no returns.

Prior to my updating of
the return policy sales had been in a funk for several weeks, after the change was made sales have returned to their normal pattern.
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@kussacat wrote:

I have a "no return" policy could this be the issue.

Not really. Returns effect best match ranking to a degree, but you'll still get a listing impression provided the search isn't overly broad or crowded by virtue of the number of items the search term could apply to. A buyer has to choose a returns related filter (returns accepted) in order to exclude listings that don't accept returns.

My listings are currently set to 30 days buyer pays domestic, international are set to the default of not accepted. Prior to that my settings were 14 days buyer pays. There has been no positive or negative change from either, which is to say that "improving" my return policy for domestic sales has not improved sales, nor has turning off returns for international sales harmed sales.  With that said I am not selling in a category where a particular item has 500 listings of the same item, so if a search reasonably well defined by the buyer I'll very often get a listing impression. eBay's problems are far more systemic in nature, not helped by the absolutely lousy coding here. Throwing weird results for example doesn't exactly inspire confidence in a buyer, especially one not familiar with the quirks of ebay. Look at the example below of an actual search result. 

ebay.jpg

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

ALL my listings are set to "no returns", both domestic and international. I'm still trending up with sales, so that can't be the reason. I'd like to think that eBay has fixed something, but, from the gist of your replies, maybe not.
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Does anyone actually believe that 'no returns' is any seller's option on eBay?

IMO making such a listing statement opens the seller to an 'Item not as described' or 'Not received' claim from a dissatisfied or remorseful buyer.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

My listings are all "no return". Recently had a situation where a buyer requested a return "just because they didn't like it". EBay offered me an opportunity to refuse the return, which I did with an explanation that the buyer doesn't see. The return request was ended by EBay. Seemed fair to me...
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@mcrlmn wrote:

Does anyone actually believe that 'no returns' is any seller's option on eBay?

IMO making such a listing statement opens the seller to an 'Item not as described' or 'Not received' claim from a dissatisfied or remorseful buyer.

No is the option for me.

I do accept returns, but I sell a variety of stuff and gave up a long time ago on eBay's one-size-fits-all return polices, so all my listings say "No returns". 

A "not received" claim has nothing to do with the listing's return policy. Everything to do with tracked versus untracked shipping.

An "item not as described" can be someone looking for a "free" return when the seller's return policy is buyer pays for the return.

-..-

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

@kussacat  @musicyouneed

- all my items have 0 views - it's like no one is even looking at my items

The 'views' service has been missing in action for about two weeks now. EBay is working on it, but haven't got it fixed yet.

It seems to be unrelated to actual viewership, since sellers are reporting that they are getting new Watchers without any Views.

Sales? Who knows?

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

'A "not received" claim has nothing to do with the listing's return policy'
You're right if the order was a tracked shipment.
Otherwise a quick, cost effective option available to a dissatisfied, etc. buyer faced with a seller feigning a return.

Buyer just wants their money reimbursed. Many don't care if you get your item back or want to go to the inconvenience of repacking and shipping it back to you.

'seller's return policy is buyer pays for the return'

I don't care who the listing says is responsible for return S&H cost.

I've received some real misrepresented, junk coins from a couple of sellers that stated no returns.

Seller is going to pay for 'item not as described' return shipping.

I don't want to accept returns either, but I feel it is a futile endeavor that doesn't present well anywhere.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Sellers hate to admit it, but sometimes the customer is right to be dissatisfied.

If a seller is getting 'too many' /refund claims, it just might be possible that the problem is with the seller, the product, or the packing and not with a 'scammy' 'crooked' 'thief'  of a customer.

Seriously, most people really are honest.

Although disagreements are also possible.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

My last sale was two weeks ago, and I had 4 sales the past 30 days.

I had my store promotional manager and markdown manager running the past two weeks but it didn't bring in any sales. Gonna be closing my store tonight since my one month is up. Thanks for the free one-month store eBay! Too bad I couldn't contribute more FVF since my sales was so sloooooow lol.
Message 15 of 29
latest reply

Unfortunately no.  Since last fall, my sales are down by 70%.  My fees in May were $1.86 lol!   They would have been $25.00 higher but, thankfully, my store subscription ended.  At the mid-way point of this year, my sales number 90 as compared to approximately 300 for the same time period in previous years.

Granted, I want out and I'm trying to sell off my inventory.  However, I am adding a few items here and there to try and stimulate sales.  I have about 150 items left to list but it doesn't seem like a cost/beneficial venture.  I too thought that once I ensured my listings showed "30 days ... buyer pays return shipping" for domestic and international sales, sales might pick up.  I review my listings often and make sure that I comply with eBay's weekly (seems like daily) policy changes.  I've lowered prices and shipping costs, offering more and more free shipping.  I have 0 views on most of my items (about 250 between my two accounts.)  I will be losing money on every single sale going forward in terms of profit, but it's better to have the cash on hand than the item on the shelf.

When I've mentioned eBay to people recently, I'm surprised to hear how many of them don't even realize that it's still around.  The big A online retailer is their first choice.

Sigh .....

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

EBay badly needs a publicity / advertising campaign to draw attention to their existance and the reasons why customers should check them out.

Apparently there has been some advertising done on latenight cable TV in the States, but not on stations I watch.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Looking at my sales report recently, it closely resembles a dying patient. Mostly straight line with the occasional beep. Could someone get the paddles please?

-CM

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

I agree 100%.  I've wondered for the past few years why ebay is just about the only major company that has virtually no presence in the mass media.  I can't think of another company of their size that does not constantly market themselves.  The few ebay ads that have appeared sporadically the past few years did little to communicate what ebay has to offer potential customers.

Still over all as far as sales go, mine have been steady if not spectacular.  Just wish ebay put their resources into promoting the site instead of launching things like seller hub which seem of little improvement over selling manager.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

unfortunately when Ebay does advertise, it is only dresses, purses, etc.. They need to get back to basics, and what made this site a powerhouse in it's day, all the unique sellers,  and the one of kind items .. that can only be found through our diverse selling pool.. Unfortunately they choose to push, Dyson fans, or refurbished electronics.. Or box store items that there is 10,000 people selling those same items, and cutting their own throats, with price matching.. 

Perhaps ebay should have 2 url's.. ebay for all it's unique items, and new ebay for all the people who want to drop ship, or sell dollar store items,.. i think this would work quite well.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply