Anyone noticing a sales increase trend lately?

Here's a positive note. Beginning late June, sales are back to normal again. Anyone else seeing this trend? I swear, there must have been an eBay problem throughout May & June. In 18 years, I have never seen such  a sudden downward trend in sales, followed by such a massive upturn.  Something changed in eBay, because it sure wasn't anything that I did.  Hmmm...

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Perhaps ebay should have 2 url's.. ebay for all it's unique items, and new ebay for all the people who want to drop ship, or sell dollar store items,.. i think this would work quite well.

ummm...you do realize that there are new items that are not necessarily unique, from the dollar store or drop shipped? 🙂

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Yeah, two eBays! eBay Classic and eBay New.
Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Regarding advertising and brand image, ebay has really lost sight of what they actually are. In fact the executive team really seems to hate what ebay actually is. The self loathing is very evident based on earnings reports calls as well as subsequent media soundbites. Hardly surprising given the executive hires and where they come from.

The current thinking is that ebay needs ads focusing on mainstream items that demonstrate they are a viable (ie cheaper) alternative to Amazon. None of this builds any brand value. It is basically equivalent to shouting HEY WE ARE COOL TOO and hoping anyone listens. What they should be trying to do is launch some iconic campaigns that are very tongue in cheek about people finding all manner of diverse (and especially oddball) items that they need on the site. Self deprecation and humor will resonate far better with the millennial crowd than current strategies.  Young people could care less if you are a second rate Amazon...period. That is like the uncool uncle at the family barbecue trying to regale the crowd with his self proclaimed tremendous sense of humor. Playing to your weakness is a poor strategy.

The last few months have been pretty terrible here sales-wise but things have looked brighter over the last week. Even had someone actually use a coupon today, which is a first. Unfortunately it wasn't a millennial so work remains to be done.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

thtat's exactly what i said.. re-read original post.
Message 24 of 29
latest reply

This is my latest report.  I thought that last month was bad, this is even worse.  

sales down.jpg

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

how do you know someone used a coupon, it doesn't show up anywhere, that is visable.. or did they just tell you.??
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@esclyons wrote:
how do you know someone used a coupon, it doesn't show up anywhere, that is visable.. or did they just tell you.??

Mentioned it when asking a question about an item.  Since the coupons are regional restricted and minimum price point it makes it easy to see when they aren't being used. 

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

What they should be trying to do is launch some iconic campaigns that are very tongue in cheek about people finding all manner of diverse (and especially oddball) items that they need on the site.

Exceedingly NSFW-- but while we all remember Weird Al's lovesong to eBay, this is slightly more recent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

2017 saw an 80% drop in my eBay sales from 2016, and so far in 2018, my sales are down over 50% from  the same period in 2017...(4 sales in the past 90 days does not exactly give me any reason to be enthused about this site...)

I no longer see eBay as a viable selling venue for me and am slowly working my way to the exit and plan to move more of my items onto local selling groups, Kijiji,etc,.... selling for cheaper but keeping any and all profits and reducing some of the shipping.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply