Are automatic returns now forced?

Today eBay approved the return of an item "automatically" stating this is as per eBay policy.  I checked my site preferences to see if anything had changed.  As always, I have selected the option to handle returns manually.  I am assuming that automatic returns also mean they will refund the original shipping cost too. 

Under the "return policy" in the listing it says that the buyer pays for the return shipping.

Are we now forced to use automatic returns or is this a fluke?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Are automatic returns now forced?

"cheap" tracked USPS to Canada would be

USPS First Class Package International Service

Max weight of 64 ounces/4 pounds (about 1.8kg)

Dimension L+W+H not greater than 36 inches (about 91 cm)

Max value of $400

Includes Electronic USPS Delivery Confirmation International when you ship online to Canada

Counter prices for 2019:

$10.50us (half pound) or about  $14.25cdn (225g)

$17.25us (2 pounds) or about $23.40cdn (900g)

$26.25us (3 pounds) or about $35.60cdn (1.36kg)

$39.00us (4 pounds) or about $53.00cdn (1.82kg)

Prices: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c341

-..-

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Hi @pjcdn2005 - I don't have any indication that there are Canada-specific exceptions to this other than what I've already mentioned (the cross border bit). 

I'm not able to speak publicly about account specific details, but if you have a return that you'd like to review I'm happy to take this to PM! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 22 of 26
latest reply

Tyler -  I have question for you regarding buyer remorse returns.  We sell scientific equipment, some of very high value.  We put warranty seals on our items as they can be opened, tampered with or have key components taken out or replaced with non working ones.  What happens if we find the warranty seal is broken on an item that was automatically returned?  What recourse do we have?  Thanks in advance.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi @pjcdn2005 - I don't have any indication that there are Canada-specific exceptions to this other than what I've already mentioned (the cross border bit). 

I'm not able to speak publicly about account specific details, but if you have a return that you'd like to review I'm happy to take this to PM! 

Thanks but I don't have a return that I need reviewed. I just want to make sure that when I give information it is correct. I've never had ebay issue a return label for a Canadian return and I don't recall reading about any other sellers having a label issued to their buyer for a return but I do reacall threads about them asking how to send a return label. I've always been under the impression that a label will not be issued by label to Canadian buyers and that's the advice that I've been given and if I am giving the wrong info, I would like to know. 

tyler@ebay  Last question from me on this subject...:)  Regardless of automatic returns and when they happen....are  you saying that ebay will issue a return label to a buyer when both seller and buyer are in Canada? 

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Hi @gophersales - in the event something like this does happen to you I'd encourage you to contact CS by phone or social media (Twitter or Facebook) so they can review the situation in depth and review all available options for you at that time. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

Thanks but I don't have a return that I need reviewed. I just want to make sure that when I give information it is correct. I've never had ebay issue a return label for a Canadian return and I don't recall reading about any other sellers having a label issued to their buyer for a return but I do reacall threads about them asking how to send a return label. I've always been under the impression that a label will not be issued by label to Canadian buyers and that's the advice that I've been given and if I am giving the wrong info, I would like to know. 

tyler@ebay  Last question from me on this subject...:)  Regardless of automatic returns and when they happen....are  you saying that ebay will issue a return label to a buyer when both seller and buyer are in Canada? 

Hi @pjcdn2005 - keep me posted on if a return like this does come through for you? I want to dig into specifics with you so we can get it sorted. 🙂

In looking at the information I have currently, eBay will not issue a return label to a buyer when both seller and buyer are in Canada. A return can be auto-accepted if it meets the criteria I talked about earlier (specifically if a buyer is responsible for return shipping costs), but an eBay label is not available for the transaction. Instead we would give the buyer time to provide proof of return tracking. 

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this PJ - and sorry for my confusion on this!

Pictured: The Author, and his favorite dish. ;)Pictured: The Author, and his favorite dish. 😉

Tyler,
eBay
Message 26 of 26
latest reply