Are ebay messages working? I have a possible cancelation and have still not heard from my buyer.

Yesterday I had a buyer say she bought wrong size and did I have the item in her size.I replied to her immediately through ebay messages and said I didn't have any more and asked her if she wanted me to cancel but have not heard back. I have also sent her a follow up email earlier this evening but it is nighttime where she is located. I will have to ship tomorrow if I don't hear back from her. Is her email saying she bought wrong size enough to allow me to cancel?

I am wondering if she is even receiving my emails although I do see a copy of mine in my Sent messages folder in the hub.  What to do?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Are ebay messages working? I have a possible cancelation and have still not heard from my buyer.

If you're really that concerned, you can contact eBay's customer service using the chat feature. Give them the item number, and ask them to read the messages. Explain that the buyer stated their was a problem and implied they wanted to cancel, and you have not heard back from them so you cannot resolve the issue for them.

Then ask for instructions on how to cancel due to the buyer asking to cancel. They will likely give you permission and walk you through it. 

eBay sometimes asks buyers to confirm whether they actually asked to cancel. The only way you would have an issue is if the buyer wrongly states they did not ask to cancel. By speaking with eBay chat first, you at least have a record that you were given the go ahead by a CSR to cancel.

With that said, this is kind of overkill. In a scenario where a buyer says this isn't actually what I want, then ghosts you, you almost certainly are fine to cancel. You can send a polite message to the buyer after cancelling that says something like "Because you stated you did not wish to proceed with the order for the item in x size, I have processed your cancellation. No further action is required on your part. The listing you purchased was for the item in y size, I do not have this item in x size so I cannot make that substitution. Thank you for shopping with me."

Alternatively, if they haven't paid - the easiest thing to do is just to wait 4 days and the 'Buyer Hasn't Paid' reason will come for cancellation. If the buyer ghosted you, and you still aren't sure, use that. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Are ebay messages working? I have a possible cancelation and have still not heard from my buyer.

The messages are still working for me, I've received several back and forth from different buyers so chances are she has seen it.

It could be she is trying to decide if she still wants it or not in wrong size. Maybe you could send one last message saying that you were hoping to have heard back from her and unless you hear back by (insert day/time) you will be cancelling the order since it is the wrong size. If so I would still use buyer requested (based on wrong size). Worse case even if it's cancelled and she still wants it you could re-list it and she could get it then.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@msau4301 wrote:

The messages are still working for me, I've received several back and forth from different buyers so chances are she has seen it.

It could be she is trying to decide if she still wants it or not in wrong size. Maybe you could send one last message saying that you were hoping to have heard back from her and unless you hear back by (insert day/time) you will be cancelling the order since it is the wrong size. If so I would still use buyer requested (based on wrong size). Worse case even if it's cancelled and she still wants it you could re-list it and she could get it then.

Well that's what I would like to do but I'm afraid if I cancel without an email from my buyer requesting a cancellation I will be in trouble with eBay.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Yesterday I had a buyer say she bought wrong size and did I have the item in her size.

You have not shipped?

The buyer has effectively asked you to cancel, since she wants to change the purchase (from Size X to Size Y).

I believe you would be justified in using Buyer Request as the reason for cancellation.

devon@ebay  What do you think?

BTW, Do you have measurements in your clothing listings? I was just at May's Alterations at the mall, having two pairs of pants and the sleeves of a top shortened so I am feeling sensitive about that.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

Hi, it's not clothing, it's a sewing pattern. She wrote within minutes of buying it and let me know she had bought the wrong size and needed a larger size which I let her know that I don't have. She is in UK and still haven't heard back from her. I really don't want to mail it to her when I know she doesn't really want it.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If you're really that concerned, you can contact eBay's customer service using the chat feature. Give them the item number, and ask them to read the messages. Explain that the buyer stated their was a problem and implied they wanted to cancel, and you have not heard back from them so you cannot resolve the issue for them.

Then ask for instructions on how to cancel due to the buyer asking to cancel. They will likely give you permission and walk you through it. 

eBay sometimes asks buyers to confirm whether they actually asked to cancel. The only way you would have an issue is if the buyer wrongly states they did not ask to cancel. By speaking with eBay chat first, you at least have a record that you were given the go ahead by a CSR to cancel.

With that said, this is kind of overkill. In a scenario where a buyer says this isn't actually what I want, then ghosts you, you almost certainly are fine to cancel. You can send a polite message to the buyer after cancelling that says something like "Because you stated you did not wish to proceed with the order for the item in x size, I have processed your cancellation. No further action is required on your part. The listing you purchased was for the item in y size, I do not have this item in x size so I cannot make that substitution. Thank you for shopping with me."

Alternatively, if they haven't paid - the easiest thing to do is just to wait 4 days and the 'Buyer Hasn't Paid' reason will come for cancellation. If the buyer ghosted you, and you still aren't sure, use that. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Remember that there is a coronation in England tomorrow. Hundreds of thousands of people have left their homes and many will be camping out or taking their place on sidewalks. She may not have seen the messages if she is one of those, this is something that will be upmost in peoples minds. I remember watching Queen Elizabeth coronation, a loooong time ago.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@triber 

Me too triber! My mom took my sister and I back across the pond (sailed on the Queen Elizabeth or Queen Mary, can't remember which one that time) just to see the coronation! All I really remember is the street party that we attended. I think my mom and grandma stood outside and watched the coronation parade.

On a side note, can't believe I tossed out all those Cunard dining room menus mom collected from our trips!

Yikes, I think we may be showing our age!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I come from England, I was 10 and we watched it at a friends house because we didn't have a television, it was black and white of course!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply