As a Canadian, should I create a new dotCA account, or sell on my 21-year-old dotCOM account?

My eBaydotCOM account dates back to 1999. I bought and sold a few items over the years, enough to get 117 all-100%-positive feedback. Now I want to sell many items. So why not just use my existing dotCOM account? I'd like to take advantage of my perfect feedback score. Or should I instead create a new dotCA account and start from scratch?

What are the pros and cons of each? I believe (please correct me) that using dotCOM, Canada Post shipping info is not available, and vice versa for dotCA with regard to USPS.

Are there any legal or tax implications (not asking for specific professional advice, just opinion)?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

As a Canadian, should I create a new dotCA account, or sell on my 21-year-old dotCOM account?

marnotom!
Community Member

No legal or tax implications.  It pretty well boils down to the shipping options (as you note) and whether you want to list/get paid in US dollars or Canadian dollars.  Also keep in mind that eBay.com fees are higher than those associated with eBay.ca.

Are you set up with eBay's new payment system (Managed Payments)?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

You can list on either site now so there is no reason to change your account.  You do have to sign up for managed payments on .ca if you live in Canada regardless of where your account was registered but it is supposed to be possible to do that even if you are registered on .com.  Some .com registered users do seem to be having difficulty doing that but I'm not sure why.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

In order to sell, you will need to be enrolled in the newish Managed Payments program.

For that you will need a Canadian checking account, but it can be in either US or Canadian dollars.

Some sellers have set up a new dedicated online account for this, with a "no fees" bank.

Your net income (profit) from online selling anywhere is subject to income tax, so keep records of your outlays as well as your income.

Most of the sellers who were grandfathered as dotCOM sellers have switched to being dotCA sellers. They did not have to close their accounts (losing the all-important feedback) but let someone who did that tell you what you need to do.

You can list on either dotCA or dotCOM with a dotCA account.

With dotCA you can use Calculated Shipping. If your listings are  for items more than 2cm thick and 500gr. this will be important.

With dotCOM you will be paid in US dollars, although the money will be transferred to your Canadian bank in loonies. There are some currency exchange implications, but more sales should make up for that.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I have multiple accounts, one of which (this one I'm posting with) was an original US Registered account and as far as I can tell still is because I am bombarded with offers that ONLY apply to US based users (mostly eBay credit card applications).

This was my last selling id to be converted to managed payment and the conversion to MP was simple and error free.

I understand some people have had issues with these old accounts but I did not and I know others who also had no issues.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

pjcdn2005, does this mean that if I do not sign on and sell on .ca that I am not required to sign up for Managed Payments? Or is MP required regardless of .com or .ca, just by virtue of living in Canada? Thx

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

marnotom!, how much of a difference in fees are we talking about? One of many videos I watched suggested that listing with .com could be more appealing to US potential customers who are pro-"US only". That and other pros mentioned (especially, bigger market) leads me to think that I'd rather list on .com; the added business would probably offset the difference in fees. In that case, is Managed Payments even an issue? Thx

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

femmefan1946, I've set up a new chequing account just yesterday, but my goal there was to keep my side hustle separate from my other life.

As I mentioned to another reply, I'm leaning towards listing with .com, because it appears that I can reach more potential buyers that way. Does this prevent me from any services or functionality offered to .ca users? Other than slightly higher fees, it seems like .com is the way to go.

Based on suggestion from video I believe I will calculate my own shipping costs, rather than have them calculated (which would only be possible when signing in to .ca).

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Sellers in most countries are required to sign up with managed payments including Americans so you still need to signup with MP regardless which site you list on. What I meant by my earlier post is that Canadians need to sign up for MP on .ca, not on .com.  But you can do that with your current .com account and then list on either site. 

Re costs..

You are billed on .com in $US and on .ca in $C.  In some cases the fees may be the same percentage so in those cases the.ca end up slightly cheaper because of the dollar value. If you set up a store eventually it would be less expensive to set it up on .ca. You would still be able to list on .com and would receive the same amount of listings on .com that US sellers

receive.   If you want to compare fees  you can click and help and contact at the top of most pages and on each site type in selling fees. 

If you do plan on selling on .com you will probably  want to set up MP with $US payouts and a $US chequing account based in Canada.  If you set up $C payouts you can still list on other sites but your funds will be converted to Canadian dollars before they are deposited into your account. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

The one thing that makes me list a given item on dotCA is shipping.

With dotCOM, we must ship to the USA (well, duh!), we must list in USD and we will be paid in USD (currency exchange), and we must* use Flat Rate Shipping.

Flat Rate shipping ** is fine if you can use weight based services, particularly LetterMail which will carry a 30gr envelope anywhere in the USA for $1.30.

But if you need to use a parcel service, which includes weight, dimensions, and destination, then shipping using Calculated Shipping on dotCA can be a lifesaver.

Play with this:

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Use various weights and dimensions.

For zipcodes compare the cost of shipping to 90210, 32830 , and 00901.

For postal codes K1A 0A6, V8W 1P6, and X0A 0H0

Use metric measures. Canada Post went metric in 1974. Everything else will be guess work.

Given what I sell, almost all my listings are on dotCOM. Only some larger or heavier books, some bulky figurines and garments are listed on dotCA.

You already have digital scale and a tape measure, right? 

*I'm leaving out chitchatexpress and stallionexpress for the moment.

** Which includes Free Shipping, another topic for another thread.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Just a general note now that I have some updated info to provide:

Welcome back @wyrdforge! Now that payments are managed by eBay you'll probably see some pop-ups or screens asking you to input your financial information so we can ensure you get paid quickly. 

Before you click those screens please  make sure that your registration address on file with us is representative of your actual physical location. That is, your Canadian address. That will ensure that you can continue to use your account to sell and you'll be sent through the proper 'flow' for payments onboarding. 

Thanks, and again, welcome back!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Something to keep in mind is the fact that if you have not sold on eBay before and/or have not sold on eBay for any great length of time, you are referenced as a "NEW" seller= restrictions/limits on the value of items listed and the number of item listings you can post. New sellers start out with the ability to list up to 10 items and after establishing self over a period of time, a request can be made to increase the allotment of listings.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Alright, thanks everyone for your helpful comments. Things are moving forward nicely. I received my digital scale today, it seems my payments are set up (I'm not super comfortable with eBay having *direct* access to my eBay-specific bank account, but needs must). My first items are prepped and ready to go.

Now, my over-analytic mind is fretting over listing on .com vs .ca. While I might reach a larger market on .com, I also understand that with currency conversion etc. I might net less than on .ca. A compromise, I suppose, that I'll have to weigh (ah! eBay pun!) pros and cons. As some have said, it depends on the item, especially where shipping is concerned.

Speaking of shipping, it's absolutely ludicrous how Canada Post gouges for shipping within Canada, isn't it? It's cheaper by quite a bit to ship to the US than within my own country. I'll be looking for a cheaper alternative as soon as I get my selling legs back.

Another thread by playitagain broke down fees and net gain on a $10 item with $15 shipping; it was quite sobering, albeit somewhat inaccurate as some have pointed out.

As I type this, I'm leaning towards listing on .ca for my first sortie, and adjust from there.

Thanks again y'all, I'm sure I'll have more questions...

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

When you sell in USD (on dotCOM) keep in mind that you are buying in loonies.

For me that means when I buy a book in a thrift store for a dollar and sell it on dotCOM for $10 (including shipping) I paid ~ 80cUSD.

Shipping in my opinion is a more important cost that choosing between dotCA and dotCOM.

Canada Post rates are high.

Our base domestic letter rate is 92c (73.6cUSD) while USPS charges 55c (~66c Cdn) for the same service.

And then there is tracking-- but that makes me cry.

If you can find a forwarder like chitchatexpress or stallionexpress nearby, you can ship through them to the USA and even with their service charge do very well.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply