Balance negative due to dispute

If my balance goes into negative due to a dispute - will ebay try to withdraw this money during the open dispute? Or will they just take future sales towards the balance until the dispute is resolved?
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

If your balance is showing a negative and there isn't any $$$ "processing" as far as I know it will be pulled out of your bank account (I believe only if it is over $10 I think $10* is the limit before they process against the account).

If you have $$$ in "processing" mode, as long as there is enough $$ in processing mode to cover it it will not be taken from your account.

*This is what I see when I am on vacation, I have a lot of 6c and 8c fees for 2nd category items relisting so whilst on vacation my outstanding negative amount slowly rises, my recollection is that once the negative balance goes over $10 they process it against my bank account. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@ricarmic 

About the minimum pull from your bank, there doesn't seem to a standard policy or maybe it's evolving.

A few months ago I went into a negative balance briefly (small amount sub $10), nothing happened. In March I twice made a mistake of issuing a partial refund on Tuesday morning just after my payout had been finalized, the amounts were $3.50 and $6.00, both times they instantly dinged my bank account  

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@recped That is interesting, thank you for sharing. It looks like any sort of refund will be processed regardless of the amount whilst one is in a negative balance. I do not have any actual under $10 refund experience, any refunds that I've processed whilst in "negative land" have all been more than $10 so your direct experience shows that the amount of refunds doesn't matter, they're all pulled from the bank account while an account is in negative territory.

It looks like the rules for "fees" are different from other reductions like refunds while accounts are in a negative balance.

Just for my own clarity, when they pulled the small amounts, you didn't have any "processing money" either at that point correct? I'm assuming not, but it would be good to know for sure.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@ricarmic 

About the minimum pull from your bank, there doesn't seem to a standard policy or maybe it's evolving.

A few months ago I went into a negative balance briefly (small amount sub $10), nothing happened. In March I twice made a mistake of issuing a partial refund on Tuesday morning just after my payout had been finalized, the amounts were $3.50 and $6.00, both times they instantly dinged my bank account  

Promoted fees are displayed the same way as a chargeback. One of the nuances of MP that has baffled me from the get go. Promoted Fees are charged(displayed) immediatly. whereas the  balance of FVF's show display as "being processed". 

In the last 24 hours I've had 2 separate transactions for the same promoted item. Causing a negative balance. Displayed as follows.

Screenshot 2022-03-30 075809.jpg

I've had them complete in 3 different ways. On several occasions the promoted fees (neg balance) pulled from bank accounts. Other times if there were fees that were on their way to be processed at the time, pulled from those. And lastly, pulled automagically from the same(connected) transaction when it processed 1 to 2 days later. How things with transpire for OP is anyone's guess. These situations are not covered anywhere in help that I've been able to locate.

This is why I recently suggested making it all 1 combined transaction for eBay Fees vs a multi-line operation. In theory all the promoted fees are upgrade to the listing. Still part of the same transaction. (Unless eBay considers them a secondary income source and the their rational for processing that way.)

-Lotz

PS. I've also had 2 situations where customers cancelled  substantial transactions prior to having a chance to ship. Because the funds hadn't fully processed, the  reversal was pulled from bank account vs cancelled transaction. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Update:

Ad fee now shows as processed. (0.19) . 2 Transactions for 25.20 - .19 = 25.01 Pending. To be completed by March 31, 2022.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

We should be advising new sellers to make sure their MP bank account does not charge withdrawal or chequing fees.

Some "commercial" accounts do.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

We should be advising new sellers to make sure their MP bank account does not charge withdrawal or chequing fees.

Some "commercial" accounts do.

NSF charge with Tangerine is 45.00. Not all clients will qualify. There may be a substantial waiting period.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

NSF is a different thing. And yes those are expensive.

But what I mean is that business/commercial accounts sometimes still charge for cheques, withdrawals and even deposits.  With more competition, especially from online banks, those are disappearing, fortuneately.

Even with retail accounts. I was waiting behind an elderly lady, in her 90s I think, at the Royal Bank while she was told that the tellers were no longer allowed to update her bank book, nor did they mail paper  statements anymore. 

The teller did let her know that she would be happy to print out a current statement for the client at no charge anytime she asked for it. The old lady still looked upset and confused.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

NSF is a different thing. And yes those are expensive.

But what I mean is that business/commercial accounts sometimes still charge for cheques, withdrawals and even deposits.  With more competition, especially from online banks, those are disappearing, fortuneately.

Even with retail accounts. I was waiting behind an elderly lady, in her 90s I think, at the Royal Bank while she was told that the tellers were no longer allowed to update her bank book, nor did they mail paper  statements anymore. 

The teller did let her know that she would be happy to print out a current statement for the client at no charge anytime she asked for it. The old lady still looked upset and confused.

In the past businesses like  the banks and post office were extremely service oriented. Now, not so much. EVERYTHING is at an additional cost. Or by appointment only. I've seen them being a bit knarly to the customer that brings in a roll of change to cash in. So definitly feel the older customers pain and frustration. Even my local CO OP no longer accepts cash at self service checkouts. Debit/CC only!  Huh??

As for how this relates to eBay fees, I'm under the impression that US bank fees and Canadian Bank fees are substantially different. This may have been something that eBay NEVER considered when implementing MP. The Canadian perspective.  Going from an once a month billing to billing per transaction with multiple line entries FVF's/Promo Fees/Listing Upgrades/Over the limit listings plus store charge was a major downgrade to what was in place previously.  Throw in potential CC clawbacks and funds holds, much messier with MP.

In my case prior to RBC I had a low fee chequeing account with limited transactions for debit/interact. I had no choice but to switch to something like Tangerine with no fees for those transactions. This doesn't even start to account for the no way to keep a balance other than tinkering with funds release date, paying for eBay purchases and everything that worked fine about paying for postage with PayPal. Never had the headaches I have now.

Are some sellers going to have additional charges because of MP? Without even including NSF in the mix.  More than likely. I think as time goes on more examples of this will rear their ugly head.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Recommendation:  Have a credit card set up as the choice for "Preferred for selling costs" to avoid ebay taking money from your bank account.

https://ppcapp.ebay.ca/myppc/wallet/list

-;-

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Recommendation:  Have a credit card set up as the choice for "Preferred for selling costs" to avoid ebay taking money from your bank account.

https://ppcapp.ebay.ca/myppc/wallet/list

-;-

Or make sure your bank account always has some sort of balance.

This issue may go away soon when eBay adds a "wallet" function to MP accounts. Users will be able to maintain an MP balance that can be used to pay fees or make purchases on eBay.

I don't think there is an official date but my guess is that it will be announced in the next Seller Update.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

When I was a bank teller in the 60s (earning enough to go to university) you BOUGHT your chequebook.
I think it was $5 for a book of 100 cheques. At the time I earned $3300 annually. So cheques were expensive.

And if you messed one up you had to bring it into the branch to get a refund or credit on the unusable form.

Later the chequebook became free, but every cheque had a charge, which might have been as much as 25c.

Business accounts still had those charges well after personal accounts lost them. I think the widespread use of personal credit cards led to the demise.

Mind you, we tellers spent a fair part of our time each week making up pay packets for the Goodyear plant -- in cash.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@femmefan1946 

I just remember back in the 80ies/90ies, staff members, all fighting over who got to take in the deposit each day...so they could tack onto their lunch hour for the perk plus mileage.  Twas highly entertaining!!! 🤣 Getting paid to hurry up and wait. Padding time? Optional!!

-Lotz

Message 14 of 14
latest reply