Beware returns to Canada from the U.S., they can cost a LOT

While inter-city and state shipping in the U.S. via USPS is very inexpensive, especially if you ship in quanitity, U.S. to Canada shipments can be double the cost of Canada to the U.S. shipments.  I recently shipped a product there that had to come back and the shipping cost (legitimate) was double what I'd paid to ship to the U.S.   So if you sell something for $100, and it costs $20 to ship, you could see yourself with a $40 return shipping cost, essentially and probably wiping out any margin on the original sale.  The ideal scenario would never to have to take a product back, but that's not always possible.  In a case like that, a discount for the buyer to keep the product (partial refund) or even (depending on the circumstances and costs) abandoning the product and just giving back the sale price might be the best option.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

USPS puts the most expensive service at the top of the list.

The customer has to scroll down to the bottom to get First Class International Package which is cheaper.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Also -- use Size and Shape to move to the price list.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

If they use Priority shipping to send the item back then it can be quite expensive. But if the item is under 4 pounds, they can send it back with usps first class international which has tracing and in many cases the price will more comparable.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

What I like to do is send the buyer a snap shot of the service I would like them to use. Usually $26  USD

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Even better is to provide the returnee with a label so there are no mistakes.

USPS lables can be purchased through Shippo and perhaps via PayPal (US).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Well ya. Who woulda thought?

Even a south bound postage stamp has a higher cost.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Good intention in principle. Often what happens the receiver has tossed the original box and repacked into the largest crate they can find hanging around the house. If the final measurements don't match the inputted measurements the seller is on the hook again. Also, the buyer, by nothing I have been able to uncover is in any way responsible for safe packaging for its merry return. eBay's basic concerns....Shipped with tracked service and that it shows delivered. If it arrives broken or as an empty box, tough noogies!!!

-Lotz

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I am constantly amazed at the cost of mailing to Canada from the US on listings. Many times a small craft book I mail for just over $3, can be $27 or more shipping cost from the US to Canada. If a buyer want to return a cheap item, I find it better to just refund and tell them to keep it.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

It's the tracking.

Americans are not a trusting people.

While many Canadian sellers go commando on tracking using LetterMail, your US  seller cannot believe he won't be ripped off when his $5 item is delivered without obvious tracking.

Which makes me wonder just how honest they are, if they think they are going to be cheated by every customer at every opportunity.

It's a foreign country with a foreign culture.

Just as your $3 item would cost$13.36  to ship with tracking through Canada Post, so do USPS rates jump.

And as mentioned above, USPS sets up thier rate card with the most expensive (Priority) service first. Canada Post has the lowest cost service at the top.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Yes, that is correct. Return USPS labels can be purchased from Shippo BUT BUT BUT, be sure you tell  your buyer  the item must be given to the post office within THREE days in the same packaging weight/dimensions. USPS labels purchased from Shippo for packages from the US to Canada have a 3 day expiry date from date of purchase. (Sometimes Shippo will tell you it's 7 days but that's only for labels with USA to USA addresses.)

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

It's the tracking.

Americans are not a trusting people.

While many Canadian sellers go commando on tracking using LetterMail, your US  seller cannot believe he won't be ripped off when his $5 item is delivered without obvious tracking.

Which makes me wonder just how honest they are, if they think they are going to be cheated by every customer at every opportunity.

It's a foreign country with a foreign culture.

Just as your $3 item would cost$13.36  to ship with tracking through Canada Post, so do USPS rates jump.

And as mentioned above, USPS sets up thier rate card with the most expensive (Priority) service first. Canada Post has the lowest cost service at the top.

Another part of this that is not being factored into this kerfuffle, from the Canadian perspective we can see the options that post to the eBay listing and the options available at USPS. Many US sellers would have access to discounts either from eBay programs, as high volume shippers with USPS or Stamps dot com etc. Do US sellers pass on these discounts or is this pure profit? I know many Canadian sellers routinely pass on the savings.....When they can. And especially when the amount is substantial caused by some sort of eBay Calculator error. That happens regularly or the alternative, when a buyer pushes for one.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I regard any discounts as covering my packaging costs. They are pretty minimal.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I haven't used Tracked Packet International but that is the only Canada Post service that might have enough of a discount to pass on.  Otherwise, the discounts I see are minimal.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I regard any discounts as covering my packaging costs. They are pretty minimal.

I've had an ongoing  running eBay problem with discrepancies in the 15.00 to 20.00 range because of multiple unit purchases and either buyers being unable to request a revised invoice or me not having the option to send one. Yes, if it's a couple bucks not a big deal and buyers for the most part are understanding. Not so much when it's a higher amount.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I haven't used Tracked Packet International but that is the only Canada Post service that might have enough of a discount to pass on.  Otherwise, the discounts I see are minimal.

There was a period of time several years ago when calculated shipping worked for multiple unit purchases. So so for 2 distinctly different items. Buy a radio and a magazine. It requires confirming the postage. Often the buyer pays and then expects/demands a refund. Maybe for your assortment of items it's not a problem or sellers selling using letter mail but for sellers selling OOAK items, it is. I've had months where total postage paid has been more than total sales.

-Lotz

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Recently I had cause to refund both a USA customer and a CAD customer for overpaying postage in excess of $15 . I used the Managed Payments refund tool. I was surprised to find out eBay doesnt refund partial final value fees for partial refunds. Sort of a penalty for being Mr. Nice Guy...
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

FWIW- the cost of postage has nothing to do with the value of the item being shipped. And the buyer pays for postage in any case.

If you mean you were paying out more for postage than your full payment from the customers, it would be time to rethink your shipping costs.

Are you using metric units? Not doing so can cause all kinds of discrepancies. Also your choice of Flat Fee Shipping (which we have to use if we sell on dotCOM) or Calculated (which is only available to us on dot CA).

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Your refund should be adjusted to allow for the eBay fees.

The customer paid you $45 but you only gave the Post Office $30?

The difference on paper is $15 but you will be paying 12.35% in fees?

The customer's refund is $13.14. because that's how much less shipping cost you than you charged him.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:
Recently I had cause to refund both a USA customer and a CAD customer for overpaying postage in excess of $15 . I used the Managed Payments refund tool. I was surprised to find out eBay doesnt refund partial final value fees for partial refunds. Sort of a penalty for being Mr. Nice Guy...

While PayPal USED TO refund fees on partial refunds (they don't anymore) eBay has NEVER refunded FVF's on partial refunds unless you called and begged (if the amount was small they would do a courtesy refund).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Hi. Thanks for your input. Here's how it happened...Open up a beer..

I was reconfiguring my shipping "rules" not my business policies. My "rules" including combined shipments worked just great. I had a handling charge, and a reduction set for combined shipment weights.

In an attempt to compete with my US friends I deleted the handling charge. I often sell large items weighing 15 to 50 lbs. Packing materials can cost 20-30plus labour. 

I decided to modify the "Rules". For my store categories I use an assortment of Business Policies. If you use them you will see a tiny little box that says "apply Shipping Discounts" Use Calculated Shipping Rules. 

I accidentally unchecked that box. Bad things happen. I prefer to have a 3 day period after purchase for buyers to pay. I get more combined orders. They request an invoice and I send them one with the best shipping price.

In these cases they simply paid for their items without requesting an invoice. Because I unchecked that box they were charged the full shipping charges as if I had shipped each item seperately. 

IT

Message 20 of 21
latest reply