Booksellers - I need help.

I have a couple of old books that I want to sell and I have no idea on how to do it.  I know CD's but old books, I need help.  How do I determine condition?  These are the 2 books that I am looking to sell.  I know they are not worth much, but will only be selling to the US market as they have media mail for shipping.  Any idea on pricing etc?  How many pictures should I do?  Theses books I don't think have every been read as the spines are tight, but I just noticed in the car book a few of the cars have a little x marked in pen.  Should I sell them on my music id or my sewing pattern id or should I set up another just for books?  Any help advice would be appreciated.  

2018-06-09 001.JPG2018-06-09 006.JPG2018-06-09 014.JPG2018-06-09 015.JPG2018-06-09 017.JPG2018-06-09 020.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@musicyouneed wrote:

I have a couple of old books that I want to sell and I have no idea on how to do it.  I know CD's but old books, I need help.  How do I determine condition?  These are the 2 books that I am looking to sell.  I know they are not worth much, but will only be selling to the US market as they have media mail for shipping.  Any idea on pricing etc?  How many pictures should I do?  Theses books I don't think have every been read as the spines are tight, but I just noticed in the car book a few of the cars have a little x marked in pen.  Should I sell them on my music id or my sewing pattern id or should I set up another just for books?  Any help advice would be appreciated.  

2018-06-09 015.JPG2018-06-09 017.JPG2018-06-09 020.JPG

The car book I'd call good. Make mention of the marks and the fact it is missing the dustjacket. Let your photos do most of the talking. And you may want to see which year it was published (it was an annual for a number of years). As for price search the title on eBay.

Sample: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202333880171

For just 2 books I wouldn't bother with a new ID. Of the two sewing patterns seem a better fit as a reading category vs a listening category...

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

"I know they are not worth much, but will only be selling to the US market as they have media mail for shipping."

Also to use media mail you would have to cross the border and go to a U.S. post office.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Look on Addall.com for comps.

http://used.addall.com/

I agree that the car book is more likely to have value. Flower arranging? Not really.

Addall is a collector site using over 20 other selling sites to show what is currently for sale.

Ignore the Amazon fantasy pricing.

You'll notice that the car book has prices from $5 to $90, depending on grade and publishing date.

Be sure to mention there is no dust jacket and the foreword by Sterling Moss. Also name some of the cars covered.

Be prepared to have it sit.

Use Calculated Shipping and list on dotCA.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I just looked up the flower book and was surprised at the prices for the paperback .

Use Aldine as part of your Search on Addall.

Spry was a well know gardener, if I remember rightly.

Make them available to the UK, you can add a second set of prices for International and even restrict showing to the UK by only giving shipping there.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@widgetc wrote:

"I know they are not worth much, but will only be selling to the US market as they have media mail for shipping."

Also to use media mail you would have to cross the border and go to a U.S. post office.

No you don't. 

If I remember correctly the original poster already uses ChitChatsExpress to take packages across the border for mailing.  There are a number of companies that do this (for personal shipments worth less than $800us).

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I use chit chat for US.  Haven't used Canada Post for the US for a couple of years.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply