Broken again

Ebay needs to drop everything and fix all the issues on the site so we sellers and buyers can function.

THE CONSTANT BUGS AND GLITCHES ARE GETTING BEYOND RIDICULOUS

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Broken again

@mjwl2006 wrote:
That's what they always tell us is behind maintenance: 'improvements'. The new defect dashboard, for example.

When I worked in computer mainframe tech support in the 1980's-1990's, we were not allowed to use the word "changes" or "fixes" when speaking to users of the system. We would never say we were making "changes" to the system over the weekend or we were making "fixes" to the system. We could only say we were making "improvements" to the system. All about positive spin and non-negative verbiage. Probably the same in all aspects of businesses.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

Regarding the topic of this thread, eBay.ca is glitchy and slightly unstable. I am editing listing and get page not found or timeout still or a partially filled page. Not often but still enough to make me hope my revised listing goes through. The eBay.ca forums are also glitchy.

I wish eBay would settle on one format or design and just stick to it for years and not months. Sellers get frustrated but more important buyers get frustrated. Without buyers, no eBay.

I have talked to friends and acquaintances about eBay (some know I sell, some do not). Amazing how many people hate eBay and /or had a bad experience. Many say go to Amazon online or other sites or go to a retail store. Those that do buy on eBay say to be real careful buying on ebay because you get ripped off easily.

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

The hub was the other thing I thought was being implemented. Those two things being tinkered with in concert would absolutely explain most of our problem areas. Promotions Manager too. Although on eBay.ca that's Markdown Manager only.
Message 23 of 33
latest reply

The good news about the eBay Seller Hub Beta is that it is on eBay.com only and not on ebay.ca so the Canada site is not affected as far as I can tell. Some sellers using the new Seller Hub Beta on eBay.com reported issues. Also, some non-Hub users reports glitches to Selling Manager.

As I said, so far the new Seller Hub is acceptable in appearance and function to me but I am such a small seller I would not know if there are issues with hundreds of listing or more. I do expect it will be changed and improved from the Beta test to the first implementation in Feb 2016.

One thing they did do was change the Sell Your Item form. It is laid out a little better and it is a one page form, not two which is a great improvement. There is no Add or Remove programs to set options, the options all appear in the New SYI form in the appropriate places as a simple one line description and check box. Very nice. Perhaps there will be the ability to set options and perhaps it is reading the options I had set in the current SYI so that it why it is not full of options I never use.

It seems eBay is pushing simple HTML use as the Standard tab has only three editing buttons showing, to see more buttons like in the existing SYI form, you have to click Advanced Editing on the right and you get the rest of the buttons.

The 3 buttons shown are Bold, Bullets (with dots) and Bullets (numbered). Definitely pushing simple to the point listings.

One thing I do not like it their HTML tab. Switching to the HTML tab compresses all of the HTML into one long "paragraph" block with no line breaks. So editing the HTML will be impossible to see and follow. Current eBay SYI form allows line ends in the HTML so you can have a nice well laid out listings with separate lines for code making it easy to read and follow. New way is useless to read.

Nothing new about this look to the HTML tab. If you use Bulk Edit and individually edit a listing description using using the HTML tab, it removes all lineends and makes one long "paragraph" block. It has always done this in the Bulk Edit description HTML editor so I never used it. Not a good day for users who have HTML templates and need to look at their HTML code occasionally.

I think I understand why ebay is doing this. The existing SI editor introduces mystery characters in the HTML that show as spaces but are not. When you try to use the Bulk Editor Find and Replace, find cannot work many times on longer blocks of the description because of these mystery characters (probably line ends). So eBay is stripping out all characters out of the HTML that are not characters for HTML (a-z,0-9, some special characters $#%^&* and so on). This will make Find and Replace work better. Speculation on my part but makes sense to me.

Sorry to go a bit technical. But the HTML tab change is a PITA to me as I work with HTML sometimes. For myself or to help others with their listings. Other than the HTML issue, I find the new SYI form really nice.

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

Another nice feature of the new SYI form is that you don't click to open a window for photos. The picture manager is in the form. Same for ebay categories. No leaving the form to get things. Saves time.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Another nice feature of the new SYI form is that you don't click to open a window for photos. The picture manager is in the form. Same for ebay categories. No leaving the form to get things. Saves time.

LOL, it took eBay years to add the above simple features to make a one page SYI form. Third party selling tools like Auctiva and inkFrog had this as one of their featured selling points way back when.

As I understand it, the original SYI form years ago was longer than 2 the current two pages. If I recall it was 5 pages.

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Ebay needs to drop everything and fix all the issues on the site so we sellers and buyers can function.

THE CONSTANT BUGS AND GLITCHES ARE GETTING BEYOND RIDICULOUS

Hear, hear!! 

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

I agree with everything being said here. We do need site stability but, in thinking about this, it makes perfect sense that these are the areas not responding because they are the ones being 'improved' right now. I appreciate your insight into the new hub. I really, really hope they don't mess up Selling Manager too badly, as I have a very low tolerance for messiness and clutter on my workspace. The Sell form sounds like a real improvement. 

I dearly wish, however, that ebay would pull their heads out of the sand where the image of the company is concerned. We don't need more sellers, we need buyers and, moreover, we need to improve the tattered reputation of the place.

When I tell people who don't know me that I have a store on ebay, they cringe before they catch themselves. Literally cringe. That is how this place is perceived to the outside world: thieves and junk. 

I consider my partner to be a typical shopper. He doesn't spend his day shopping or pricing stuff, that's for sure. Just buys what he needs when he needs it. His take on ebay is that it's garage sale stuff sold by jerks so if he wants something, he goes to AZON. If AZON itself stocks it, he might get a good deal. If one of its third-party merchants does, he doesn't. The last thing he bought was a new bulb or something for a big TV for his brother. Great price but it blew to pieces within three weeks. Same old piece of that you'd find from a piece-of--seller-from-outside-North-America on ebay but if he'd bought it on ebay, I'd still be listening to the rant. The glow has not worn off AZON yet so he's still giving it some benefit of the doubt. 

AZON keeps a very short leash on its third-party merchants while ebay is loosening theirs. There is a big love affair right now with the main competition, AZN. But everyone loves to hate ebay including its sellers. I'm happy to see the poor sellers kicked out and opening shop elsewhere. Ebay needs stricter rules, not fewer ones. And a public confidence campaign so that shoppers who aren't sellers (real buyers!) come here first, not as a last resort. Trying to entice people who've never used ebay to buy to suddenly start selling here is a recipe for disaster. It's a complicated place and, more importantly, shipping is terribly difficult to get right.

A brand-new seller with the best intentions in the world who has NO idea how to pack and order and mail it cannot deliver the goods to their buyer. Period. It's just unreasonable to expect someone who's never bought anything on ebay to start selling stuff here. Or to sell here successfully at least. Everyone makes mistakes when they first sell, they just do. It's unavoidable. Like learning to drive a car. You need experience. So then those new sellers inadvertently create disappointing experiences for the few actual buyers we have kicking around. It's a vicious circle. 

Ebay needs to BRING IN NEW BUYERS while dumping the crooks running amok here, focus on helping north American buyers find North American sellers, support the existing sellers here doing a good job to sell more, and then look for new sellers. But what do I know? 

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

Some sites like Stanley Gibbons new site which will include bidStart stuff, is stripping all HTML out of descriptions. A lot of people complained that they lost all their templates and formatting, and they just said tuff.

They want clean simple descriptions with no templates etc for a consistent look. I feel Ebay will also go that route in the not to distant future.

I think for descriptions a lot of sites are going to KISS for descriptions as it works far better on mobiles as well

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

And a public confidence campaign so that shoppers who aren't sellers (real buyers!) come here first, not as a last resort.

Hear hear!

And just in case anyone doesn't remember how this can work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjJ2dIuB2y4

Message 30 of 33
latest reply

This is a zombie thread from 2015, not 2016.

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

I know...Right!

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 33 of 33
latest reply