Buy-it-now should be PAY NOW

Why are "buyers" given so long to pay for Buy it Now listings? This makes no sense and is an outdated residual from auctions, when folks bid now and pay after the auction ends.

When an item is listed as BUY IT NOW, the listing should not close UNTIL THE BUYER PAYS!

If the listing includes a MAKE AN OFFER option, again, the listing should not end until it is PAID.

So, a buyer makes an offer and the seller accepts, which gives that buyer the option to purchase the item for a limited time at that price, but still leaves the item available to other potential buyers / bidders. Whoever PAYS gets the item by ending the listing.

There are way too many people who "buy" or make an "offer" and then NEVER PAY, but still end the listing and make the item unavailable for over a week, forcing the seller relist (and pay to list again in some cases).

This is CRAZY. Where else can you find this kind of enforced layaway plan, retail or online?

It is time for eBay to update this outmoded, outdated practice!

There is no good reason I can think of why a buyer shouldn't have to PAY for a BUY IT NOW item in order to end the listing.

Non-paying buyers on BIN items? PROBLEM SOLVED 🙂

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Sellers can set up their GTC Listings and Fixed Price 30 Day listings to accept certain offer amounts automatically and also have the Buyer pay immediately, otherwise the item will continue to be listed until payment is completed. 

This listing strategy is nothing new and has been an option for Sellers for a very long time.  

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

"Buy-it-now should be PAY NOW"

Not for me.

I do not mind waiting a week or two for payment once a buyer had made the decision to buy from me. That is the way I run my business.

If you want pay-it-now, set up your listings as "immediate payment required".

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

For BIN you check off the box that requires immediate payment when YOU the seller set up the listing. Problem solved.

Offers are treated like auctions, since the seller can take 48 hours to accept or make a counter-offer. Until an offer is accepted the listing is still available for sale.  If it is accepted by the seller, immediate payment is not required, since like auctions the buyer may not even be connected to the internet when the sale is actually made.

If you don't like the payment delay, then either don't accept offers OR reject the offer (telling the offer maker you will drop the BIN price) and then drop the listings BIN price to that of the acceptable offer.

-..-

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Where else can you find this kind of enforced layaway plan, retail or online?

Many low end furniture stores still use 'layaway' as a sales gimmick.

Just saying.

There is still a problem with Immediate Payment Required.

As I understand it, if a buyer backs her PP account with a bank account (rather than a cash balance or a credit card) then the seller does not get the payment, or ship the purchase, until the 'e-cheque' has cleared both the US and the Canadian banking systems, which can take up to 10 days.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for this feedback folks - I did not know about the option to require immediate payment, which I will look into.

Just tired of what seems like an excessive number of non-payments, I guess.

Cheers!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply