Buyer Abusing eBay Returns Policy

I sold a large, expensive and not-easy-to-ship item to a buyer in Lincoln, Nebraska. The item was a brand new truck seat.

Buyer responds item damaged, please refund. After a week of back and forth, will provide no pics or even state what the damage is. eBay's policy of course is once buyer says the word "damaged", give them their money back. I've currently been granted a few more days to "work it out with the seller", who of course now is completely silent, knowing full well the truck seat is theirs to enjoy at no cost to them.

I've had a few sales recently to buyers with little to no reviews, but thought nothing of it. 

Do I have any recourse here, or is this standard operating procedure to accept a certain amount of buyer fraud on eBay and build it into my margins? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The buyer opened a return request or just wrote a message saying that it was damaged? If they opened a request there aren't many options. You can refund without requiring a return or you can send them a return label (print it through Shippo) and refund once you receive the item back.

As far as it being standard operating procedure to accept fraud...some categories do seem to have more than others but I think that the majority of sellers have very few problems with their buyers.   A seller does have to be proactive and make sure that they give the buyer as much information as possible in the title, listing and pictures.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

If the buyer has requested a return (for whatever reason) your options are 

-Issue a refund without requiring them to return the item

-Issue a refund requiring them to return the item (you pay shipping under most circumstances)

-Ignore/refuse/dispute/delay the return, eBay refunds their money anyways, now you have no money, no product and a defect on your account

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Ask them if a partial refund would work,

If they want an entire refund, i would demand the item be shipped back.

Once you receive it back , and it is in fact damage they did trying to install it, i believe you can then do a partial refund, based on the damage.  Someone else may want to confirm this.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@newlook87 

The reason Shippo is mentioned is that they can sell you US shipping labels which you will need.

Paypal and SnapShip cannot do this.

If you have never used Shippo before you will need to sign up for it and provide your Small Business Solutions card as a form of ID. This gives you a discount on some Canada Post services, is available through Canada Post, and is also used by the other two services mentioned above.

Since the buyer apparently has not opened a Dispute, you are not required to do anything he is demanding.

Once he does, hop to it.

"I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for a full refund." 

Rinse. Repeat.

And don't fear Feedback. EBay does not use FB to asses your selling account, although some buyers do look at it.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Due to a couple issues early in selling on eBay our policy has been revised. In our listings we are clear that all items must be returned for a refund, and that we give no partial refunds.

Our standard course for such complains is we will pay to have the item shipped back, when it has arrived all monies shall be refunded. If its not a not as described complaint, it has to be returned in condition as sent.

Additionally, depending on the tone of the buyer, we will request proof through photographs prior to accepting returns.

Importantly, we place a removable tamper-proof sticker on each item, or each item part if a listing has multiple parts. Our listing also states that all returned items must have the sticker present and that it must remain untampered for any refunds to occur. All items are photographed prior to shipment with the unique number showing on the sticker for verification.

Additionally, prior to posting any item, the buyer is sent a friendly email with this info, along with information that the item will posted with signature and insurance, and that the tracking number shall be posted that they may follow the progress. This gives fraudsters advanced notice there will be conditions and its likely not worth their time, and honest folks a heads-up, no worries, your item is handled and posted carefully.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply